List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for not posting on here recently, computer did a 17 year old at his first house party and wrote itself off.
Kreuger and Lipinski deals will get done, Kreuger will be quite easily, as Wright said on Trade Radio, Pies/Cats already spoke about him, both clubs at this stage are on the same page in terms of picks. It'll be later pick.

Still interested in Stengle.
Spoken to Patty Naish/management about his future again
Nevile Jetta has been approached to come on board in coaching.

We had checked in with Jarrod Camerons camp but told he's having the year off.

Good to hear the Kreuger Trade should be done Quite Quickly.

Especially shop around because just remember the attitude of opposition Victorian clubs to Collingwood . . .

Anything unfortunate that happens to Collingwood is deemed both hilarious and well deserved.
Yeah figured they might do it just for sh1ts n giggles.

They take their age into it. He is the youngest ever FA at 24 years old. x 4 year contract.

Contract length doesn't matter, just guaranteed money per year across the deal.

It's definitely his age though, the 12 extra points added to his salary "ranking" form being <= 25 years old would have pushed him up into the top 50% on the salary ranking table.

Kelly getting a 3rd round pick would mean the guaranteed money in his 3 year deal lands him in the top 70% (iirc) on the salary ranking table for players aged 25+, although the extra 8 points for being 26 years old now helps there as well.

As an aside this probably spells bad news for Thomas getting us any compo if he moves elsewhere, unless nearly all of his money is guaranteed at around the $350-400k mark for at least two years (an unlikely outcome).

With our cap issues that may be the one way to ensure Lipinski doesn’t get to us.

Personally I’m not buying that we still have cap issues.
once we cut Cox, Thomas,( Mayne and Levi retired) if we still genuinely have an issue I honestly give up after saving about 1.5 million after last year.

What about this for a bit of left field, although I'm sure the Bullies will reject it.

We will need a big backman for when Roughy retires next year.
They need a ruckman to replace Martin.

Lewis Young isn't that bad, 201cm and 100kg so a good size.

Lipinski and Young for Lynch and a future 3rd.

Go ahead, shoot me down.

My mind is genuinely blown by the bolded statement in particular, but to a lesser extent the overall post.

Could you explain to me how running 2km around an oval is a better measure of the stress the cardiovascular system endures during a football match than 20 minutes of interval running broken up with contested simulations? I’m not for a second disputing that testing their cardiovascular strength is important because it’s probably the second most important factor we should be testing (psych being the first). The problem is it’s as relevant as the 20 metre sprint times!

edit: just realised you were triggered by my “it holds zero value” and probably didn’t take much of the rest of my post in. Although I would have thought it was obvious that they were testing for these sorts of factors I get how the start of that post comes across 👍

The thrust of my post was that the 2km TT is a poor test of that output. Grundy’s perhaps the worst TT I’ve seen at the club, but his spread from the contest for a ruckman is elite. Spread from the contest is what clubs really want to know which the simple drill I’ve outlined is a much better test for (it’s probably still flawed) and if I thought they weren’t testing their cardiovascular output I wouldn’t have offered an alternative to the 2km TT.

The fittest bloke ever could do the perfect pre-season and still be gassed 15 minutes into a match! The same goes for speed testing I’ll never forget Joel Wilkinson breaking the 20m sprint record, but being slower than Pendles in game.

I reckon the start of pre-season TT is purely for psychological purposes and it’s easier to implement that type of testing across an entire playing list than the drill I outlined, but yeah it staggers me that they haven’t got something more applicable at the draft combine. The whole point of that is to see how the kids perform in a controlled environment with as close to match conditions as you can get…
I agree with you. There are better ways - hence why AFL teams don’t just run laps around ovals all pre season. My point was, that 2km time trials aren’t useless. It is one measure of a system that is also used for those footballing movements/activities. If ones cardiovascular system can do well in a 2km time trial, or a 5km, it is a good indicator of that persons ability to hold up in other situations, as its the same system being used in those, with added muscular endurance etc. My point was that it isn’t useless, not that it is the be all and end all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Physically, footy is about intense effort, jog, intense effort, jog, intense effort, jog. Someone like Oliver is a star physically because he can hit a really high intensity with his efforts and continue to jog to the next contest, over and over again. It's very different to running at a consistent good pace for a long time. The time trials are probably an OK indicator of likely footy endurance, but it wouldn't be an accurate indicator of footy endurance for many players, as being able to run at a fast consistent pace for 6 minutes without burst efforts isn't something footballers do in a match. It's why players used to always talk about being match fit.
I get what you’re saying, and agree with the consistent pace running part, but a 2km time trial isn’t just consistent running, its about pushing your cardiovascular system to its limits in a short period. Its very intense running, just like AFL. There is a lot of unrewarded runs similar to a 2km on a footy field, amongst muscular/burst stuff as well. Hence why after a 2km time trial, players will go into regular training drills.

there is a connection between being able to repeat intense game-like efforts and the 2km time trial, and that is the Cardiovascular system that gets used in both. Thats all i’m saying. Not saying that it is the Only factor.

GOLD Coast and North Melbourne are exploring an innovative trade that would see the Roos acquire the Suns' pick No.19 plus half-forward Darcy Macpherson.

AFL.com.au understands both clubs have been discussing a 'salary dump' which would see the Roos take on the bulk of Macpherson's wage while also offering greater playing opportunities.

The Suns this week received confirmation they would be granted access to pick 19 in this year's NAB AFL Draft and quickly turned to conversations around on-trading the selection.

North Melbourne's salary cap sits among the most flushed for room in the competition, which would allow it to take on Macpherson's wage.

Should the move progress, it would see the Roos armed with three picks inside 20 – No.1, 19 and 20 – at this year's draft.

As part of the transaction, the Roos would likely need to hand over a future selection to the Suns – expected to be a second or third-round pick.

Personally I’m not buying that we still have cap issues.
once we cut Cox, Thomas,( Mayne and Levi retired) if we still genuinely have an issue I honestly give up after saving about 1.5 million after last year.

Our cap is still compromised to come degree by the $$$ we're still paying Treloar and the heavily back-ended contract for Sidey.

Most of the other issues we have now with our cap are evaporating now, including Pendles' % of TPP cap arrangement, Cox's $550k, etc.

Grundy's $850-900k isn't going anywhere but that is what it is.

Apologies for not posting on here recently, computer did a 17 year old at his first house party and wrote itself off.
Kreuger and Lipinski deals will get done, Kreuger will be quite easily, as Wright said on Trade Radio, Pies/Cats already spoke about him, both clubs at this stage are on the same page in terms of picks. It'll be later pick.

Love your posts
Calm - straight to the point
Clearly shows we are doing our due diligence with trades and DFAs etc

I agree with you. There are better ways - hence why AFL teams don’t just run laps around ovals all pre season. My point was, that 2km time trials aren’t useless. It is one measure of a system that is also used for those footballing movements/activities. If ones cardiovascular system can do well in a 2km time trial, or a 5km, it is a good indicator of that persons ability to hold up in other situations, as its the same system being used in those, with added muscular endurance etc. My point was that it isn’t useless, not that it is the be all and end all

How long does one have to do an AFL-style pre-season to drop 5kgs, asking for a friend

I'm not actually familiar with you but I'll take you on face value re inside knowledge - I do think it's amusing that you've said basically everything that would be music to the ears of most people here.

Have any inside goss on Dib, and where the club expects him to fall on draft night - and even if the club wants to match?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back