List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cooked Daniel Talia>Keane, Tohill and Madgen so it’s a yes from me. At 29 you could realistically give him all of 2022 to get himself right and still have him for 50-60 matches.

I think the big question is whether medically he can even get himself right, as him being let go by the Crows with their notable lack of KPD depth is a red flag.

If he's fit and able to get back to something approaching his best then sure he'd be good recruit for literally any club.

Perhaps the best route might be to bring him in for pre-season with a view adding him to the list in the SSP if he makes it through and the knee / foot issues look good?

I’d cop Talia to try and save his career. Have him play deep, Roughy at centre half back and Moore as the third tall roaming and playmaking.
I’m just worried if we have Maynard, Talia, Moore, Howe, Roughead & IQ…we lack pace & fast transition from back half?
We still need the line breaking speedster. Noble our only choice at he moment.

a key back like Talia could play for another 3 or 4 years. he doesn't roam the field like Moore.
He hasn't played since Round 18 last year had knee and foot surgery and is being let go by one of the few teams below us on the ladder.
We have such a great success with injury management we are going to turn him around to play 3-4 more years?

Teams in contention that need a break glass KPD (like Frawley) would offer more than what we could.

Lynch is only unpredictable because he's a 2 game rookie that the opposition haven't bothered putting time into. You make Lynch our regular No 1 ruck and the opposition will 100% work him out pretty quickly.

Grundy was unpredictable when he was first drafted. And we delisted the "predictable" Jolly thinking Grundy could take over the number 1 ruck because of that. And he struggled for years once the opposition put time into him. The fact he was able to breakout in 2017/18 and become a gun ruckman despite being a target for the opposition to nullify is a testament to his star quality. It's easy to have 1 or 2 games as a ruckman where you have dominant games. But only a certain few (Gawn, Grundy) can consistently deliver.
Hey Banana he broke out because Witts left the club and we start playing 1 ruck

Talia a rare discard that might add value (in the short-term) to our current situation.

Very Lynden Dunn vibes. Albeit we're not contending.
We weren’t contending when we recruited Dunn either

Nah the guy’s just not that good. The dropped marks (I mean chest marks under zero pressure), lack of intensity and work rate are obvious signs, but the main take on here is injuries. He’s just a low end version of Reid with a similarly sweet kick and fragile body. He definitely gets next year, but it would be foolish to be putting any eggs into that basket long term.

unfortunately i agree
happy to be proved wrong, but doesnt look likely based on what Ive seen
and like Josh Schache, someone with limited physicality much better chance of making it as a defender

I’m just worried if we have Maynard, Talia, Moore, Howe, Roughead & IQ…we lack pace & fast transition from back half?
I think Quaynor is best suited to that role, especially if we have good runners on the wing

There's no way we go Talia unless Roughead doesn't go on next year. They can't play in the same side along with Moore. For all Madgens faults he can play on mid size talls and smalls.

Also just general responding to salary cap discussion, Chris Scott said a few years ago majority of caps goes to 10 or so players and rest is spent on remainder who are on less than the average (we just got the ratios horribly wrong and over paid avg players).

As for Carlton, they banked some of their cap by paying 95% from memory which allows them to pay 105% in following years, though have probably chewed up a fair bit with Saad, Williams and Fogarty ($2m per year according to HS).

Way they'd get Cerra is offloading a Petrevski Seton who's probably on 500k (going rate for draftees on second contract) or a Kennedy or Fisher who are on less. Imagine that was not factored in last year. but would have to then release first and second rounder.

Surely NM would have a crack at him with all that money. Could walk him in PSD for nothing too

I can’t fathom any reality where we have to lose Maynard. Unless the club is lying to us even more. We’ve offloaded treloar, Stevo and phillips… Cox, Mayne, Thomas and Greenwood all off the books. If we still have cap issues after that, then fmd we are paying c brown 500k.
Add Aish to that list too. A more than handy player for Freo.

As far as Maynard goes, he's about to turn 25, the next 2-3 years aren't looking great, and we're currently a complete rabble both on & off field. Especially off field. I wouldn't blame him for weighing up his options, the average footballer is done by 30, so he has a good 5 years ahead of him. He'd want to be sure Collingwood has their shit together, though there hasn't been any evidence on display over the last 5 years that this is anywhere near true. I don't want to lose him by any stretch, but I wouldn't blame him at all for seeking greener pastures.

Let's face it, we are a rabble, a bottom 3 side with no coach, with a board who couldn't organise a lunch in a bakery, a president who is acting purely in self interest/preservation, a head recruiter who has avoided key position players for over a decade, a former president who signed off on years worth of dodgy trades, a list manager who in 3 years signed half the club to bloated deals that we seem to be paying for eternally, and.....actually that's about it. I'm out of ammunition.

Don't get me wrong, I love this club, and have since I was a 6 year old boy in 1982. But we are nowhere, and Graeme Wright is the only guy at our club that I trust right now. And he's only been there for 6 months, which is damning on the rest of them.

Last edited:
Quaynor, Crisp, Maynard all run out of defence and I reckon it would either/or Talia vs Roughead
If he can make it through preseason then sign him as a DFA, good moneyball depth signing considering our cap and dfraft hand
Still think Schlensog as a DFA a priority (& Ricardi) age wise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely gotta go after Talia. Also hope we go after Crouch in the one foul swoop and Pyke comes our way.

Would release Moore to be a pure 3rd defender/interceptor along with Howe as our 4th defender, Maynard as our small lockdown defender and IQ in there too. Ruscoe to play as the 7th defender off the bench that he's playing so well in. Noble disappears completely from the back 6 and hopefully has pressure on his spot from up the field. Crisp transitions to a wing/centre/hbf where he can run all day. Leaves Madge and others to be depth which is what they are.

Crouch into the middle gives us a first use clearance guy to release some pressure off Adams who is great with his hands. People forget how good MCrouch is. Add JDG in there and we have incredible grunt again. JDG can then use that 70/30 split to good use.
We add Nick Daicos, development of Fin, Reef, Rantall, Poulter among others allows Josh Daicos to go back to a wing, and SP10 and Sidey to become full time HFF's and blokes who can deliver it well into our F50. We finally have good pressure forwards, and then we hit FA with a KPP and elite mid.

I don't think we are THAT far away.

Well to be fair we did just offload a 26 yo a 27 yo and a 21 yo...whilst retaining said 30 yos

True, but there were a variety of reasons why we traded those players in particular. Treloar, big contract, started to miss chunks of footy with injury, so basically had to terminate his contract. Stevo, questionable behaviour, from the betting, to his time in the hub, and Flipper, as we had Daicos coming through, we decided to trade him out.
I don't think Maynard falls into any of those categories, so l would be very surprised if he is traded out, as he is a heart and soul player of the club.

Last edited:
No player gets paid under 300k..

Reckon there’d be a few. Even without looking at draftees in their first 2 seasons, there’d be players on minimum chips and match payments.

Then he might be just happy to stay at Collingwood being a Back-Up Ruckman like he be at other Clubs

Never got the impression he’d leave so I’m happy to see him stay.

Carlton killing us on list management / salaries... so frustrating. If they land a decent coach, heaven help us.

How they can fit Walsh, Weitering, Cripps, Saad, McKay, Williams, Jones, Martin, Curnow, Curnow, Marchbank and all of their B grade midfielders into the cap, with space for Cerra... makes us look like absolute amateurs.

I think they balance those guys who get paid a premium with a host of other players who aren’t really worth paying anything.

Lol at the idea Carlton are killing it with their list management. They haven't been able to play any reasonable finals despite that many first round draft picks and high profile recruits.

We also were not contending when we got Dunn in. Our rise in 18 wasn't expected by that many.

Absolutely gotta go after Talia. Also hope we go after Crouch in the one foul swoop and Pyke comes our way.

Would release Moore to be a pure 3rd defender/interceptor along with Howe as our 4th defender, Maynard as our small lockdown defender and IQ in there too. Ruscoe to play as the 7th defender off the bench that he's playing so well in. Noble disappears completely from the back 6 and hopefully has pressure on his spot from up the field. Crisp transitions to a wing/centre/hbf where he can run all day. Leaves Madge and others to be depth which is what they are.

Crouch into the middle gives us a first use clearance guy to release some pressure off Adams who is great with his hands. People forget how good MCrouch is. Add JDG in there and we have incredible grunt again. JDG can then use that 70/30 split to good use.
We add Nick Daicos, development of Fin, Reef, Rantall, Poulter among others allows Josh Daicos to go back to a wing, and SP10 and Sidey to become full time HFF's and blokes who can deliver it well into our F50. We finally have good pressure forwards, and then we hit FA with a KPP and elite mid.

I don't think we are THAT far away.

How much is Matt Crouch going to cost in $? I do not think we are in a position to over pay for an inside mid. I kept hearing Rantall was going to be our inside mid? Plus we have Tyler Brown who i still have a high regard for.

Pendles i agree is still a great user of the football. Sidebottom i question. Is his kicking to our forwards still of a very high level?

Contending within 12 months of his recruitment.

I can't see that happening in this instance.
Probably not, but honestly did you see us competing within 12 months of Dunn being recruited either? End of 2016 people were calling for Pendles to be traded because he wouldn’t be there for our next flag push iirc…

Probably not, but honestly did you see us competing within 12 months of Dunn being recruited either? End of 2016 people were calling for Pendles to be traded because he wouldn’t be there for our next flag push iirc…
The turnaround was unexpected, absolutely. We had a more accomplished list though.

Would enjoy a quick rise again, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back