Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is pick 8 gettable from Gold Coast. If the worst we can do for Hamling, Adams, Rat and Stevens is a bunch of picks accross the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. Could we package this up in some order with 18 to get pick 8?
I think so, could we get a future 1st round pick for Adams?

18 plus that to GC for 8 22 and 26

Picks 22 and 26 could get us pick 9 from port

Just food for thought, and I know a lot of people won't agree. But does anyone think our list manager McCartney is a little overrated? I feel like the reason our list is in such great shape is because of the fantastic work of Dalrymple who manages to nail every draft pick. Imagine if some of Mccartney's trades had of gone through. We offered a lucrative deal to Greenwood, offering pick 11 and a second rounder for for Lobbe, offering Lonergan a monster deal.

I know it's hard because we're picking higher up the ladder now, but seeing Baines from St Kilda absolutely fleece Hawthorn with that trade yesterday has got me a little envious. McCartney has done well with bringing in Crameri, Boyd and Biggs. And offering Hamling a lifeline.

I just hope he has a few tricks up his sleeve because while everyone around us is improving and trying to hunt us down, we've sort of just sat on our hands a little bit so far.

This wasn't a post to try and shoot down McCartney at all, he's done a good job. Just wanted to get people's opinion. And I also wanted to get it off my chest.

Last edited:
Just food for thought, and I know a lot of people won't agree. But does anyone think our list manager McCartney is a little overrated? I feel like the reason our list is in such great shape is because of the fantastic work of Dalrymple who manages to nail every draft pick. Imagine if some of Mccartney's trades had of gone through. We offered a lucrative deal to Greenwood, offering pick 11 and a second rounder for for Lobbe, offering Lonergan a monster deal.

I know it's hard because we're picking higher up the ladder now, but seeing Baines from St Kilda absolutely fleece Hawthorn with that trade yesterday has got me a little envious. McCartney has done well with bringing in Crameri, Boyd and Biggs. And offering Hamling a lifeline.

I just hope he has a few tricks up his sleeve because while everyone around us is improving and trying to hunt us down, we've sort of just sat on our hands a little bit so far.

This wasn't a post to try and shoot down McCartney at all, he's done a good job. Just wanted to get people's opinion. And I also wanted to get it off my chest.
It is really hard to judge because a lot of the information is conjecture rather than solid facts. You examples of Lobbe, Lonergan and Greenwood are conjecture as well.
Another talking point is how the Boyd deal impacts our cap. I've heard from well connected sources that we didn't pay 100% of the cap this year, and there is information out there saying that 2016 wasnt one of Boyd's big years, wouldnt we front load as much of Boyd as possible?
On the flip side, the moves we have actually executed look to be very good

Let's instead go the opposite view of our list management team and say we are smart and sneaky. Which then brings the thought:
Who is it that is in WA, that we want to get to ask for a trade?
Why else do you allow the Adams story to go public on that day. We must be wanting a player there to nominate either our club or another club that they want to move to.
IF it's our club, then only candidates IMO are:
Fyfe, A Pearce, Duggan
Who would want to go to another club would be harder to work out, as too varied in their needs.

Let's instead go the opposite view of our list management team and say we are smart and sneaky. Which then brings the thought:
Who is it that is in WA, that we want to get to ask for a trade?
Why else do you allow the Adams story to go public on that day. We must be wanting a player there to nominate either our club or another club that they want to move to.
IF it's our club, then only candidates IMO are:
Fyfe, A Pearce, Duggan
Who would want to go to another club would be harder to work out, as too varied in their needs.

Pearce is the only one who fills a need..

Anybody want to take a stab at outlining what we see in Nankervis (other than he is tall?) I'd suspect that Bevo is pretty picky about what ruckmen we have on our list, given that he's been quite happy to play large parts of the past two years with only one...or none...on the field. What does Nankervis bring to the table?
I'm a fan of Nankervis so I'll give it a go.

I see a young ruck who is probably a couple years away but could be very good in time.

Firstly, his mobility is pretty poor and he's not much of a forward. He does throw himself at contests and contest a few in the air though. Funnily enough a bit like a young Roughead in this regard who wasn't much of a forward but showed some aerial ability.

He's a very physical ruckman who has the scope to develop a tank that could see him ruck for most of the game. As with most young rucks he doesn't win a lot of hitouts but he shows relatively good vision with his taps. His follow up work is quite good around the contest, with his ability to lock the ball in very good. Knows how to throw his weight around.

He's poor on the spread and doesn't present around the ground and that's the area of his game that he really needs to improve.

I think if he comes to us it would be with an understanding that he develops for a couple of years. I imagine the appeal from his perspective is our ability to get the most out of rucks in recent years, even if he's not going to get a game as easily as he would at Richmond. From our perspective - a young ruck on the cheap that we've seen enough of to think he could make it is a good investment, provided he understands he's not guaranteed a game in the short to medium term.

List spots make it tricky though. I'd be surprised if he was our priority.

It is really hard to judge because a lot of the information is conjecture rather than solid facts. You examples of Lobbe, Lonergan and Greenwood are conjecture as well.
Another talking point is how the Boyd deal impacts our cap. I've heard from well connected sources that we didn't pay 100% of the cap this year, and there is information out there saying that 2016 wasnt one of Boyd's big years, wouldnt we front load as much of Boyd as possible?
On the flip side, the moves we have actually executed look to be very good
How is Lobbe, Greenwood and Lonergan conjecture?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the Gryphon/Boyd trade was the tipping point for player movement. Yes, we better get our head around it. Clubs will come hard with a lot of $$$ for our stars like The Bont and Stringer over the next 10 years And the trade period will become my most hated time of the year.

May our players stay enamoured with our club!
It also goes for too damn long. Shirley a week is long enough.

It also goes for too damn long. Shirley a week is long enough.
57647925.jpg

I'm a fan of Nankervis so I'll give it a go.

I see a young ruck who is probably a couple years away but could be very good in time.

Firstly, his mobility is pretty poor and he's not much of a forward. He does throw himself at contests and contest a few in the air though. Funnily enough a bit like a young Roughead in this regard who wasn't much of a forward but showed some aerial ability.

He's a very physical ruckman who has the scope to develop a tank that could see him ruck for most of the game. As with most young rucks he doesn't win a lot of hitouts but he shows relatively good vision with his taps. His follow up work is quite good around the contest, with his ability to lock the ball in very good. Knows how to throw his weight around.

He's poor on the spread and doesn't present around the ground and that's the area of his game that he really needs to improve.

I think if he comes to us it would be with an understanding that he develops for a couple of years. I imagine the appeal from his perspective is our ability to get the most out of rucks in recent years, even if he's not going to get a game as easily as he would at Richmond. From our perspective - a young ruck on the cheap that we've seen enough of to think he could make it is a good investment, provided he understands he's not guaranteed a game in the short to medium term.

List spots make it tricky though. I'd be surprised if he was our priority.

Couldn't help but feel you just described a young Minno.

FB: Morris Hamling Boyd
HB: Adams Wood Biggs
C: Johannisen Macrae Hunter
HF: Crameri Cloke Dahlhaus
FF: Dickson Boyd Stringer
R: Roughead Bontempelli Liberatore
Int: Murphy Daniel Picken Smith

Depth:-

Def: Suckling, Cordy, Roberts, Collins, Williams, Smith

Mid: Dunkley, Jong, Webb, Hamilton, Lynch

Fwd: McLean, Dale

Wallis & Redpath injured.

There will be a fair bit of a squeeze next year if we get a good run with injuries, even if all of Stevens, Hrovat & Honeychurch go.

I see our needs (in descending order) as:

- tall and mid-sized defenders to replace Morris, Boyd and Adams (and possibly Hamling). Preferably mature age;

- developing tall forward/ruck prospects. One main list, one rookie list;

- mid-sized genuine goal kickers to eventually replace Crameri, Dickson and Picken; and

- one or two developing pacey midfielders.

I think the first need can be addressed through trading for the short term and the last three via drafting.

As long as we don't sacrifice too much KPD depth this trade period, we don't need to do very much, outside of trying to improve our draft hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back