Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Dogs will keep Hamling and Adams and Adams will readjust to melbourne and likely have his family come over for a while.

I hate for him to go but at the end of the day, it's just footy. Family always comes first
My message to adams is this: STay in melbourne and GROW UP. Perth is BBBBBBOOOOORRRRIIIINNNNGGGGG AND AN INSULAR MINING TOWN.

Although not directly related to theBulldogs, its certainly pertinent when you consider todays events.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-14/its-the-end-of-contracts-says-pendlebury

'It's the end of contracts', says Pendlebury

THE UNPRECEDENTED moves in this year's NAB AFL Trade period has proved the binding of player contracts is near non-existent, Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury says.

Pendlebury's strong stance comes on the back of Hawthorn star Sam Mitchell being traded to West Coast on Friday, despite signing a one-year deal, in July, to stay at the Hawks in 2017

"The only thing contracts are good for is getting home loans," Pendlebury told Collingwood's website.

"I think it’s the end of contracts.

"They don’t mean anything anymore."

Carlton's Bryce Gibbs sensationally requested a trade home to Adelaide earlier in the week, despite being contracted at the Blues until the end of 2019.

"Really, anyone can get out of it whenever they want," Pendlebury said.

"I think even last year, a few players got out of deals that were long term.

"Port Adelaide was trying to get (Hamish)Hartlett to leave and he'd just signed a five-year deal."

Pendlebury believes clubs will soon have more power to move players, via trade, without their absolute consent as the AFL continues to align itself with the framework consistent in American sports, including the NFL and NBA.

"You could take it one step further and be really ruthless and give players power but also give the club power to do that," Pendlebury said.

"Players can request trades to exactly the destination they want to go and clubs don’t get a fair return on what they sort invested with for three or four years.

"I think that step will come in… it's something that will probably happen in the near future."

Personally, I find it difficult to get worked up about it when we were at the forefront of making contracts all but worthless as they are now. All a player needs do when an opposition club backs a truckload of cash to their door these days is manufacture a transparently bullshit excuse and regardless of their current clubs huffing and puffing or indeed 1000's of teeth gnashing BigFooty posts, they will get to where they want to go. As I suspect Hamling and Adams will. Get used to it, its the new reality.

There was a Vic Nankervis in the 1940s - swapped clubs 5 times (had 2 stints at Geelong, as well as us, Saints and South).
No that it answers your question in any way whatsoever, but I wonder if Vic, Toby and the Geelong brothers Ian and Bruce are related?
(Sorry Mutt, I've quoted your post and gone off on a complete tangent...)
Yes Geoff, yes you did.... :rolleyes:

Although not directly related to theBulldogs, its certainly pertinent when you consider todays events.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-14/its-the-end-of-contracts-says-pendlebury

'It's the end of contracts', says Pendlebury

THE UNPRECEDENTED moves in this year's NAB AFL Trade period has proved the binding of player contracts is near non-existent, Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury says.

Pendlebury's strong stance comes on the back of Hawthorn star Sam Mitchell being traded to West Coast on Friday, despite signing a one-year deal, in July, to stay at the Hawks in 2017

"The only thing contracts are good for is getting home loans," Pendlebury told Collingwood's website.

"I think it’s the end of contracts.

"They don’t mean anything anymore."

Carlton's Bryce Gibbs sensationally requested a trade home to Adelaide earlier in the week, despite being contracted at the Blues until the end of 2019.

"Really, anyone can get out of it whenever they want," Pendlebury said.

"I think even last year, a few players got out of deals that were long term.

"Port Adelaide was trying to get (Hamish)Hartlett to leave and he'd just signed a five-year deal."

Pendlebury believes clubs will soon have more power to move players, via trade, without their absolute consent as the AFL continues to align itself with the framework consistent in American sports, including the NFL and NBA.

"You could take it one step further and be really ruthless and give players power but also give the club power to do that," Pendlebury said.

"Players can request trades to exactly the destination they want to go and clubs don’t get a fair return on what they sort invested with for three or four years.

"I think that step will come in… it's something that will probably happen in the near future."

Personally, I find it difficult to get worked up about it when we were at the forefront of making contracts all but worthless as they are now. All a player needs do when an opposition club backs a truckload of cash to their door these days is manufacture a transparently bullshit excuse and regardless of their current clubs huffing and puffing or indeed 1000's of teeth gnashing BigFooty posts, they will get to where they want to go. As I suspect Hamling and Adams will. Get used to it, its the new reality.

I wonder if the Gryphon/Boyd trade was the tipping point for player movement. Yes, we better get our head around it. Clubs will come hard with a lot of $$$ for our stars like The Bont and Stringer over the next 10 years And the trade period will become my most hated time of the year.

May our players stay enamoured with our club!

There was a Vic Nankervis in the 1940s - swapped clubs 5 times (had 2 stints at Geelong, as well as us, Saints and South).
No that it answers your question in any way whatsoever, but I wonder if Vic, Toby and the Geelong brothers Ian and Bruce are related?

(Sorry Mutt, I've quoted your post and gone off on a complete tangent...)
The other three are but I'm not sure that Toby is, though it's a fairly unusual name so it's possible. He's from Launceston while the others are from Geelong, not that that means they can't be related of course.

And, fwiw, why the hell is anyone equating poor spelling/grammar with lack of intelligence? My spelling is awful...just happens that I'm pedantic enough to google (often simple!) words I'm unsure of. Clearly other neither have the time nor the inclination.
It's a football forum. Not nuclear physics (in which I'm sure young John has a degree.).
That's one way of making up rubbish to stir up trouble.

The other three are but I'm not sure that Toby is, though it's a fairly unusual name so it's possible. He's from Launceston while the others are from Geelong, not that that means they can't be related of course.

We don't want Toby Nankervis,
There can be only one....Toby.

Yo Mattdougie I have had the same misgivings about our lack of activity this week, it also doesn't help that two decent talents are more than likely on the way out of the club.
I've been called out a few times for my pessismim, but for once I'm confident that there are a few things to fall our way next week. We have a man who will be (if he isn't already) the greatest coach in our club's history, not to mention the best list manager and head recruiter in our club's history. Don't get me started on the egomaniac that is Peter Gordon too. There is no way they will let us end this week with a loss or as much of a loss we have been predicting.
I hope this goes a little way to easing your mind.

Thank goodness my wife and kids aren't on here, they think I talk enough crap about football history as it is!
I can see why they'd come to that conclusion. :)

Seriously though...it was a good question about Nankervis. I should hit him up on Twitter and ask him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait, what the hell is happening with Goldy?? Didn't his misses cheat on him?? I do not know what is even going on anymore.

Where am I?

Caveat: I'm hardly an expert in judging young ruck men.

I've seen a bit of Nankervis up here.

My view:

Tapwork: OK

Mobility/around the ground: Not great

Resting up forward: Poor mark and leading, not good below his knees
Not a glowing endorsement DR. You see him purely as a backup? Break glass and release Toby only in case of emergency?

Wait, what the hell is happening with Goldy?? Didn't his misses cheat on him?? I do not know what is even going on anymore.

Where am I?
Think you've got the story arse about.

Any chance Nankervis is a proven acceptable ruckman that we're getting purely as depth to cover the Minson loss?

Where am I?

*RECYCLED INFO*

From what I can gather the story is this.

She had a very good relationship with a lot of current north players and officials.

Their relationship didn't work out for whatever reason and he ended it. (Im not going to go into innuendo I know nothing about)

Due to her relationship with all the north people things obviously got pretty awkward at that point and maybe have gotten a bit out of hand for him.

Lets be pragmatic here. We picked up Hamling as a DFA and we picked up Adams late as a mature age pick. And despite a premiereship year and the amazing spirit shown by this group, they want out.

Their values may not be higher than they are right now so lets make the best of it. Both spent time out of the team this season. Adams in particular who lookes a real talent but injuries got him.

Hamling now a premiereship player with a huge contract in front of him by freo.

Ill back JMac to get something of value in return.

Our midfield is the key. As long as thats ok we can rotate our backline. I mean look at it. Our back line is a $2.00 shop special made up of castaways and veterans. We can take the hit in this area. We still have Moz, Roberts and Zordy with Roughy able to chop out. That to go with whatever we get back during this trade/draft period.

Keep in mind also. At the start of the year we played only 2 key position defenders in out first 3 games, Morris and Adams.

Whilst not ideal we will be ok. My god look at the year we just had and trust that our recruiting and list management team know what they're doing.

Not a glowing endorsement DR. You see him purely as a backup? Break glass and release Toby only in case of emergency?

Now, yes.

3 or 4 years time? Dunno. See my caveat.

IIRC, Nankervis was definitely the number 4 ruck at the swans

An irrelevant aside: I've seen so many H&A great games from Rohan, but he's a dud in finals. I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back