Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said horrible trade period but far from the wost in comp. The South Australians were rancid.

Doesn't matter, no matter how bad a trade period we have Dalrymple will still smash the draft and turn water to wine. Then everyone will credit JMac on another great trade period when in reality Dalrymples magic is covering the cracks.

Horrible trading period by us. But far from worst in comp. We seem to be good drafted but very average traders. We seem to be easy to manipulate, I don't know if it's just a cunning stunt or not.
Nah you blokes are really fair traders who look after your players rather try to hold out of best possible value.

In the scheme of things you off loaded fringe players for nominal value, the net value is that players are more likely to come to the Dogs cause they know they'll be looked after.

I haven't been on BF to get involved in the Saints/Dogs shitfight but honestly creating a great culture is worth more than getting a 10 pick upgrade.

Good luck next year guys :thumbsu:

If someone told you in June we'd:

1. Add Cloke at $200k a year
2. Lose hamling, hrovat and Stevens.
3. Bank a craptonne of cap space ($750k offered to Hurley).
4. Go to the draft with 2 picks inside 26
5. Win the flag

You'd wet your pants.

Great clubs don't sweat the small stuff (Hrovat and Stevens trades).

5. Win the flag

You'd wet your pants.

nor do great posters. you're a good man Fronk

5. Win the flag

You'd wet your pants.

Also remember sometimes these fringe players go on to become good players at other clubs (Think Hawks and the McGlynn and JPK trade), but that doesn't change our overall position as a club. It happens sometimes.

As unpopular as it is, I think north quietly had an excellent trade period.

Added 2 very good young talents (albeit that need to get their body's right) with high skill levels in hrovat and ahern to complement their contested ball winners for absolutely nothing.

They cleared millions in cap space (including moving an absolute lemon like black who was contracted on good coin).
Got a great pick for wells. Retired a bunch of guys passed their used by date. And I actually think Marley Williams is good talent, and a good upgrade on mullet.

Added 2 very good young talents (albeit that need to get their body's right) with high skill levels in hrovat and ahern to complement their contested ball winners for absolutely nothing.

They cleared millions in cap space (including moving an absolute lemon like black who was contracted on good coin).
Got a great pick for wells. Retired a bunch of guys passed their used by date. And I actually think Marley Williams is good talent, and a good upgrade on mullet.
They did well, low risk and high reward. Unfortunately for them they don't have any 3rd or 4th rounders this year so had to stock up in the trade period.

Think Hrovat is an absolutely brilliant get by them, and loved Ahern at draft time.

Thoughts on Richmond's trade period Fronk?

Think Hrovat is an absolutely brilliant get by them, and loved Ahern at draft time.

Thoughts on Richmond's trade period Fronk?

They're a rebuilding team that doesn't enter the draft until pick 27. Ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we have 3 spots free if Prudden stays on the main list? Would probably even rather an extra rookie pick tbh but it seems at the very least we'd rerookie him

Also remember sometimes these fringe players go on to become good players at other clubs (Think Hawks and the McGlynn and JPK trade), but that doesn't change our overall position as a club. It happens sometimes.
How often does it happen to us though? I can't think of many players that have left the Dogs and flourished. Lake and Ward were already good/going to be great. Griff fell right off. Guys like Tutt Jones Grant etc didn't really kick on. Everitt and Hill are maybe exceptions but I doubt anyone'd want Hill back and Everitt took an age to get near being a quality player.

Overall we seem to do a decent job of getting good performances out of the players on out list.

In a trading year with so much spuds going around, seems the only winner out of all these is St Kilda, everybody else have a bit bitter taste.

Sign.... move on to Draft thread and next year..

It took 2 years for our Boyd trade to be considered a good one.

Reality is we will not know how good this trade is for any club for at least 1 season most even longer.

No one wins or loses at trade time, well at least have never seen trade wins on any ladder during the season I looked at.

List management has many facets, trade, draft, develop and retention. Judging any on its own is fraught with danger.

We won both the AFL and VFL with a ridiculously young list. We have many players to develop and grow and have lost 1 premiership player replaced by another.

We did ok with where we are at in development. Lets see a good draft and player retention over the next 6 months as we already know we are good developers

GWS first and third from next year.

Can't see why everyone thinks GWS did well out of that deal. Marchbank was half of the Boyd deal (pick 6) - so they get 2 injury prone guys for 3 seasons each (Deledio and Griffen) for a number one pick ten year player (Boyd). Who are they going to replace these guys Shaw, Mummy and SJ with in 3 years time with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back