Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments such as this can't be repeated enough.
I think we all miss the footy season when it ends and the AFL does a good job keeping football in the news when the season ends so the only reason I can think that people get carried away with trade week is because of this. I think there are a couple of good players up for grabs in this period but not enough to go around but the majority are just reasonably average players. I'd even go as far as saying finding decent rookies to eventually upgrade is more important than trading and I think this is something else we have shown.
I even wonder if mature trades can unsettle development of younger players,which is also a major key to success.

We have a Tigers supporter at work and I constantly overhear him talking up the Tigers and how good they are and will be. He was giddy after they got Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis.

He was talking up Caddy as if he was Ablett, Prestia as good as Hodge and Nankervis as good as Nic Nat. I sat at my desk looking at my premiership poster and laughed.

At Round 1, this bloke will claim the Tigers will win the flag and by mid-year will be totally broken by his club's ineptitude, but will still bore everyone senseless by desperately holding onto the 'mathematical chance' of the Tigers playing finals until the last possible second.

Perhaps the AFL should hand out medals, no, maybe ribbons, like the ones at kids athletics carnivals, for 'winning' trade week?

Last edited:
We have a Tigers supporter at work and I constantly overhear him talking up the Tigers and how good they are and will be. He was giddy after they got Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis.

He was talking up Caddy as if he was Ablett, Prestia as good as Hodge and Nankervis as good as Nic Nat. I sat at my desk looking at my premiership poster and laughed.

At Round 1, this bloke will claim the Tigers will win the flag and by mid-year will be totally broken by his club's ineptitude, but will still bore everyone senseless by desperately hold onto the 'mathematical chance' of the Tigers playing finals until the last possible second.

Perhaps the AFL should hand out medals, no, maybe ribbons, like the ones at kids athletics carnivals, for 'winning' trade week?
I actually hear similar talk from Carlton supporters,and surely these are two clubs that actually need to draft. There certainly is a place for trading for single players in certain circumstances but we are clearly on the right track currently. I do think we will look to trade when the right player comes along but not until our own vets move on themselves,I can't see the need to rush though. Any talk our list next year will be in someway weaker than this is just ridiculous though,it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Mate I agree to a point but as of today we have as lightly weaker list. Doesn't mean the draft won't remedy that or round 1 we will be stronger but as I said I would have liked us to make a brave big move, we didn't that's life so we go in backing Dal and Bev again which isn't a bad thing but as I said I would have liked a brave move for a player.

Guess I will just have to hope Jong is the difference :)
Jong crameri and murphy we will be fine plus we will get one if not two more Dunkleys in the draft

Jong crameri and murphy we will be fine plus we will get one if not two more Dunkleys in the draft
Who are they? Any chance of bringing in a brother - brother rule?

Despite being premiers, it would appear we are not yet a destination club. We built our list through the draft and will continue to do so.
Hard to say at the moment, if Hurley decided to change clubs and went elsewhere could argue that point but he got a pay rise and long contract and stayed. He might be regretting it now, who knows.
Deledio chose GWS who are the flag favourites.
If you look at the trade period, Richmond are a destination club,don't think they are going to win the flag.

We wanted to retain our players, we lost one best 22, and two good players who were struggling to break in to the 22.

Premiers should have quiet trade periods.
We lost a premiership player, not a best 22 player big difference.

If Adams plays 18+ games I suspect most of them will be with Morris wood jj Boyd Biggs and murphy, rather than another key back, giving us more run.

Not sure he will be available but if Tim English is around at Pick 18 I would love to have him. Would fit a need, ie Ruck KPP & perfect replacement for Minson.
Reminds me of Grundy, he was highly rated but slipped to Collingwood at pick 18 due to the time it takes to develop ruckman, so why waste a first round pick on him.

Now I often agree with this, but if we were ever gonna pick a ruckman early this is the year to do it.

We have Campbell and Roughead who are both mid 20s, 3-5 years could be the right time for English to take over.

We also have Boyd who will be played as that forward/ruck.

Do if he is the way we go at 18 I can see a reason for it to be done

Anyway trade period is over

We were average at Best Buy if that was due to choice or inability to do deals who knows.

We won flag and move forward with a slightly weaker list than at the start of trade week but relays isn't lose much so no biggy.

Trade period over move on

Hi Mate Just a few things Collingwood wanted Jong never pulled anything he stayed because he loves the Club....

Our list is going to be 10% better next year with Picks 18-26 Murphy,Wallis,a fit Suckling Crameri and Adams....

Prudden and Hamilton are top of the shit list. We need to make a decision on Roarke. Upgrade or cut. Murph and Boyd could possibly retire (doubt Moz will) and Adams could go home. I'd guess Honeychurch will chase greater opportunity somewhere else.

I believe Boyd and Morris will retire next year and Prudden and Hamilton cut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How certain are you? And cut by next year or at the end of next year?
Pretty certain, AFL Players and AFL both want it gone to allow a fair pay for all players and the new player deal done soon will see it gone by end of next yeat imo

Hi Mate Just a few things Collingwood wanted Jong never pulled anything he stayed because he loves the Club....

Our list is going to be 10% better next year with Picks 18-26 Murphy,Wallis,a fit Suckling Crameri and Adams....

Hey mate

Sorry your wrong

They changed tack went for Wells Mundy and WHE

At the end had no interest in him due tot this

Hey Vital? I see that Max King was delisted from Melbourne. What the go on him? - would he be a possibility for Dog's rookie list as a ruck backup?

Me too but that Hrovat trade was just embarassing.

It seems most folks just don't get it. Had we not traded out Hrovat (regardless of what we received) we had to chop a contracted player. Who should we have sacrificed to enable us to refuse the trade ?As much as I believe Hrovat has potential, he was not and is not one of our top 10 mids. So again, to save grace with disappointed fans maybe folks like you would have preferred we offloaded maybe Dunkley and Pick 18 for Lids ??

Hey mate

Sorry your wrong

They changed tack went for Wells Mundy and WHE

At the end had no interest in him due tot this
Of course they changed tact. Pretty hard for them to take Jongy if we offered him a contract that he signed,pretty hard to get a player who's not even on the table. No guarantee Collingwood would have got him even if he was on the table,there were multiple clubs after Jongy because he's good,which is why we signed him. The bloke was only a late injury away from being a premiership player. I seriously think if you had any inside Mail on Jongy our club could be classified as in complete disarray and we aren't.

Of course they changed tact. Pretty hard for them to take Jongy if we offered him a contract that he signed,pretty hard to get a player who's not even on the table. No guarantee Collingwood would have got him even if he was on the table,there were multiple clubs after Jongy because he's good,which is why we signed him. The bloke was only a late injury away from being a premiership player. I seriously think if you had any inside Mail on Jongy our club could be classified as in complete disarray and we aren't.

lol

54,where do you think we should play a fit suckling next year if we are at full strength? I'm starting to think around a wing

At Round 1, this bloke will claim the Tigers will win the flag and by mid-year will be totally broken by his club's ineptitude, but will still bore everyone senseless by desperately holding onto the 'mathematical chance' of the Tigers playing finals until the last possible second.

Ironically, I rate Richmond's trade period at about their usual spot, 9th.

Deledio out, Prestia, Nankervis and Caddy in, and no first round draft pick?

Anyone claiming they won that trade week is clearly delusional, or a Richmond supporter. Quite often one and the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back