Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly weaker list?

No natural improvement in one of the youngest premiership lists ever? Surely lists do get stronger with natural development as well as trading and drafting.

2 players we agree were not best 22, Cloke in Cordy back not sure how that is weaker but each to their own I suppose.

Fwiw keep posting MD may not always agree but always like differing opinions
List is stronger in 2017
Wallis back into the deepest midfield in the AFL
Adams back
Crameri back
Cloke an option up forward
Suckling an option for the wing
Cordy replaces Hamling on the back line
Murphy back
Improvement expected in young players.

Lost Hrovat,wouldn't get a game ahead of Daniel,Clay and Picken
Lost Stevens, Dunkley went past him.

I think the list is in good shape , the money they budgeted for Hurley they can bank and have a crack at someone next year.

I think the jury is still out on Suckling. He has next season to show what he can do injury free but I think it's very hard for a player who has already climbed the mountain with his previous club to summon up the enthusiasm and will power to do it again at a new club. I think he could have a role to play but others may go past him particularly if some of the young players at VFL level have breakout years.

Ok so who is delisted next year?:D

In all seriousness, our list is a young premiership team. The beauty is our depth. Let's not pretend we are Choc full of A grade talent. But by Christ we have the deepest list of B/B+ talent in the league. And that is why we will compete. If anyone gets ahead of themselves, we have quality soldiers to step in.

Combined with our coach, we are in a truly incredible position to build a dynasty of at least 7 years.

Amazing.

Mate I agree to a point but as of today we have as lightly weaker list. Doesn't mean the draft won't remedy that or round 1 we will be stronger but as I said I would have liked us to make a brave big move, we didn't that's life so we go in backing Dal and Bev again which isn't a bad thing but as I said I would have liked a brave move for a player.

Guess I will just have to hope Jong is the difference :)

Ok so who is delisted next year?:D

In all seriousness, our list is a young premiership team. The beauty is our depth. Let's not pretend we are Choc full of A grade talent. But by Christ we have the deepest list of B/B+ talent in the league. And that is why we will compete. If anyone gets ahead of themselves, we have quality soldiers to step in.

Combined with our coach, we are in a truly incredible position to build a dynasty of at least 7 years.

Amazing.
Prudden and Hamilton are top of the shit list. We need to make a decision on Roarke. Upgrade or cut. Murph and Boyd could possibly retire (doubt Moz will) and Adams could go home. I'd guess Honeychurch will chase greater opportunity somewhere else.

I don't undrestand why the humble potato cops such a bad rap.
A delicious , versatile , easy to cook food you can serve with just about anything.
A food for the masses.
Tell me who dosn't like. Pie with sauce surrounded by 3kgs of salted chips , washing it all down with a nice craft pale ale ?

What would you suggest then KH? I'm happy to switch with pumpkin. Gross. I can look at a pumpkin and gag.
Have a very good mate who's a potato farmer. Gets very offended when we call players potatoes. He forces us to call them onions in his presence. Makes sense, they stink and they make you cry sometimes.

To be fair though, he is a Richmond supporter, so if anyone is gonna be able to identify a potato...

Have a very good mate who's a potato farmer. Gets very offended when we call players potatoes. He forces us to call them onions in his presence. Makes sense, they stink and they make you cry sometimes.

To be fair though, he is a Richmond supporter, so if anyone is gonna be able to identify a potato...
Well that's the starch reality of life.

Your mate is entitled to be offended Hoges for all the reasons I have posted.
MD is now on notice from you and me :)

Expendable only in a given context: getting Jaeger. I wouldn't feel to concerned about that as a player, honestly.
There will be other Jaegers for Hawthorn.

It's been a long time since they concentrated primarily on developing their own, and it'll be a further two or three drafts before they can begin to do it again. The Hawks have just shown the world and their players that "The Family Club" is just so many empty words.

There will be other Jaegers for Hawthorn.

It's been a long time since they concentrated primarily on developing their own, and it'll be a further two or three drafts before they can begin to do it again. The Hawks have just shown the world and their players that "The Family Club" is just so many empty words.

They will target another big name FA next year but if I was the player, I would go to a team contending. They won't be contending seriously again until after they go back via the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prudden and Hamilton are top of the shit list. We need to make a decision on Roarke. Upgrade or cut. Murph and Boyd could possibly retire (doubt Moz will) and Adams could go home. I'd guess Honeychurch will chase greater opportunity somewhere else.
Who says they are finished cutting this year, if an attractive DFA comes
up as teams finalise their lists then i would expect them to pounce as so
many of our players are either or players or depth in the same area.

We wanted to retain our players, we lost one best 22, and two good players who were struggling to break in to the 22.

Premiers should have quiet trade periods.
Hawks set themselves up. For the threepeat during the couple of trade periods after 08. It's a balance of not changing too much while keeping ahead of the rest.

Hawks set themselves up. For the threepeat during the couple of trade periods after 08. It's a balance of not changing too much while keeping ahead of the rest.

Despite being premiers, it would appear we are not yet a destination club. We built our list through the draft and will continue to do so.

Absolutely no chance we aren't a better side next year. Wallis, Murphy, Crameri, Cloke in and Hamling, Hrovat, Stevens out.

The development of 2016 and playing in a grand final will do heaps for our players.

that's okay with me

I'd rather keep winning cups than win trade week
Comments such as this can't be repeated enough.
I think we all miss the footy season when it ends and the AFL does a good job keeping football in the news when the season ends so the only reason I can think that people get carried away with trade week is because of this. I think there are a couple of good players up for grabs in this period but not enough to go around but the majority are just reasonably average players. I'd even go as far as saying finding decent rookies to eventually upgrade is more important than trading and I think this is something else we have shown.
I even wonder if mature trades can unsettle development of younger players,which is also a major key to success.

I think you go hard after mature age talent when you have a glaring need. Hurley for example.

Delidio is a good player, but he's not filling a need as such. We have a good young midfield, we are excellent off half back. We don't need mid sized forwards either. So how does Delidio fill a need? Plus he's injury prone, getting on and would possibly keep a kid out.

Cloke does. Perfect fit for us. In the draft and in the rookie draft I think we'd like KP players if we can and possibly a developing ruck/forward. But we'd go best available I'm sure with the first 2 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back