Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking more along the lines of the Red Wedding, although it was the good side that suffered then, not the baddies....
Please dont remind me
I'm still recovering from it

Think we need a lock down small defender late in the draft just to have that option in 3 or 4 years time.

I dont think bev is the type to go for a lock-down anything. It weakens the team defence at the expense of a matchup that could be lost anyway. He might occasionally pick players to play those roles, but you dont go to the draft trying to draft limited players, IMO. You want each and every potential draftee to have something that could see them play 200 games.

I dont think bev is the type to go for a lock-down anything. It weakens the team defence at the expense of a matchup that could be lost anyway. He might occasionally pick players to play those roles, but you dont go to the draft trying to draft limited players, IMO. You want each and every potential draftee to have something that could see them play 200 games.
Going through draft history to identify the percentage of players
drafted who play 200 games might dispel your theory somewhat,
but it was a truly uplifting mission statement.;)

Next year Hawthorn lose Hodge, Gibson, and Burgoyne. All on top coin. There stradegy relies on getting at least 3 FA next year with big bucks in cap to get them. Both Fyfe and Martin availabe next year would be high on there list. It's up to other clubs to make bigger offers to thawt there plans.

Freo will match any offer on Fyfe, so the Hawks would need to trade for him. And they have exactly ZERO trade assets. So unless they decide to move breust, Isaac smith and Rioli, they're not getting Fyfe.

Building the core of a team through free agency/trade doesn't work in my opinion. You can supplement an existing core of players really well with those acquisitions but to do it from scratch just burns through too many players/picks to acquire good enough players in trades, and it burns through so much salary getting them in free agency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Largely agree with this, but signing Hamilton & Prudden makes we worry we're operating one or two spots short with some "good bloke" wiggle room for guys who seem behind the 8 ball to play more than a handful of games, ever.
Watched a lot of the magoo's this year and if asked at the start of the year I would have agreed re Hamilton. But he started to string together better passages of play and some overall good games towards seasons end. Those improvements and the fact that he is a 'team player' are why I think he got his contract extended.

Stating the obvious, could do with a good feed and some gym work.

Watched a lot of the magoo's this year and if asked at the start of the year I would have agreed re Hamilton. But he started to string together better passages of play and some overall good games towards seasons end. Those improvements and the fact that he is a 'team player' are why I think he got his contract extended.

Stating the obvious, could do with a good feed and some gym work.
Cheers.
Someone a while ago mentioned his VO2 Max scores were quite high which menas he should eventually be able to cover a lot of ground, but he seems way behind other options who are outside the 22 (Webb and Bailey Dale) while Bailey Williams looks fantastic and we're likely to go with a runner with at least one of our first two selections so competition for spots gets even harder in the next year.

Sneaky Josh Green rookie? Perhaps I'm coloured by the fact that he always had his best games against us, but Leppa/Voss to Bevo is big upgrade. I've always thought he's had talent.

Guys who have played their entire career as a forward don't suddenly become reliable quality backs....its the hardest position to learn.

I highly doubt Cloke would be able to make the transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back