Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If our list management think they can draft a better prospect with pick 75 than what any of the DFA would provide, then I'm all for us continuing to embarrass other clubs with our ability to draft talent late in the draft. Even pick 75 would be a record for us in recent times.

We're largely in agreement. There's a difference between poise and being slow to dispose of the ball though. Bont "holds onto the ball a little longer than most," for example, but rarely gets caught holding the ball. Ditto a number of others on our list. I don't want to train Williams' tendency to hold onto it and weigh up his options out of him, not at all - that's his biggest strength. He just needs to be a little more aware of how little time he has sometimes. At AFL level a rushed disposal is the frustration of most supporters, but 95 times out of 100, a quick kick that gains 30-40 metres but gets turned over is a better option than getting caught and turning the ball over in the middle of the ground - and I've seen Williams do that at VFL level a bit more than your average player. It's an experience thing, just learning when he needs to go a little bit quicker. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll be a very good player, though.

I prefer players who make good decisions and find the best option than those who take the first option and sell their team mates into trouble, even if the former does get caught occasionally. As you said, Williams will get caught less as his awareness improves, but I like young players who have composure and arent afraid to wear a tackle.

Its all about the money

Even though Prudden wasn't on big money, moving him to the rookie list and taking a kid at pick 75 saves us cash.

Same as signing Hamilton and letting go Stevens and Hrovat, its all about saving as much cash as possible.

Isn't 300 around average? Cloke is supposed to be under 300
Players over a certain age are classed at vet contracts so xan be dirt cheap
Cloke redid his contract to 275k

We have a 66.67% winning record in Grand Finals. :p

(CBF - working out theirs at 5.15am)

Our GF strike rate is better than Collingwoods.. Let that sink in... lol

We're largely in agreement. There's a difference between poise and being slow to dispose of the ball though. Bont "holds onto the ball a little longer than most," for example, but rarely gets caught holding the ball. Ditto a number of others on our list. I don't want to train Williams' tendency to hold onto it and weigh up his options out of him, not at all - that's his biggest strength. He just needs to be a little more aware of how little time he has sometimes. At AFL level a rushed disposal is the frustration of most supporters, but 95 times out of 100, a quick kick that gains 30-40 metres but gets turned over is a better option than getting caught and turning the ball over in the middle of the ground - and I've seen Williams do that at VFL level a bit more than your average player. It's an experience thing, just learning when he needs to go a little bit quicker. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll be a very good player, though.
TBH I think a comparison with Bob Murphy / Jackson Macrae is a better comparison for Williams than the Bont.
Macrae seems to get a little extra time with his sidestep and he did have to work on his awareness when he transitioned to senior AFL football too, especially his inside game which has improved an amazing degree.

Williams is the same, although he moves more like Bob in open space. Bont is different - he doesn't get caught via a combination of wizardry, sorcery and Mabo, just the vibe of the Bont.

Players over a certain age are classed at vet contracts so xan be dirt cheap
Cloke redid his contract to 275k
I thought veteran contracts were for players who've done ten years of service at the club. The 300k minimum figure still doesn't seem accurate. Suckling was supposed to be on average wage when he signed for 300k last year. Ahern was traded for virtually nothing because he was on 300k next year. I really doubt Hamilton would be earning anything near 325k next year.

Out of that 2013 draft, we know who that star is.. not to mention we ended up with pick one and pick 4, both who are premiership stars and one is already heading to that level of legendary status at the age of 20

I thought veteran contracts were for players who've done ten years of service at the club. The 300k minimum figure still doesn't seem accurate. Suckling was supposed to be on average wage when he signed for 300k last year. Ahern was traded for virtually nothing because he was on 300k next year. I really doubt Hamilton would be earning anything near 325k next year.

He's not, that figure is absurd, he would be on half that amount at most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamilton contract would be around 325k while Stevens would be around 450k
(300k is the minimum)
There is no way in hell a player who hasn't cracked a senior AFL game would be on AFL average salary which was ~$302k in 2016.
Hamilton would be on base salary.

I'm not sure what it is in 2017, but in 2016 base salary was $83,240 plus senior match payments of $3,605 per match.
(AFL CBA)

Spoke to a guy yesterday who does a little bit of work for the club and it's always interesting to pick up little bits of tidbits. Libba sometimes talks about how he wants to go off the grid when he retires which wouldn't surprise many. Dale Morris is essentially our version of Captain America and Josh Dunkley is one of the most impressing youngsters you'll ever meet. Simply could not do anymore to get the best out of himself even from such a young age.

There is no way in hell a player who hasn't cracked a senior AFL game would be on AFL average salary which was ~$302k in 2016.
Hamilton would be on base salary.

I'm not sure what it is in 2017, but in 2016 base salary was $83,240 plus senior match payments of $3,605 per match.
(AFL CBA)
Wow didn't realise base salary was that low. In saying that, I'd bloody kill for 80k a year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back