Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So did I , but the Williams reference then made the article redundant.
How many clubs would be lining up for Williams when we " cut " him ?

He quite clearly has no idea who Declan Hamilton is, saying he was a mature age recruit from the VFL. Did he get Dec confused with Gabe Hamilton? lol great work there Gary.

Actually I think that's probably giving him way too much credit, he probably just made it up.

Last edited:

Apart from the Williams thing I thought it was pretty solid.

Yeah.. the bit where he thinks Declan Hamilton is a mature age recruit from the VFL, suggests he's got NFI about the Dogs past the players he's seen on TV.

Yeah.. the bit where he thinks Declan Hamilton is a mature age recruit from the VFL, suggests he's got NFI about the Dogs past the players he's seen on TV.

I must have missed that bit and there's no way I'm going to reread it but I have read far worse articles regarding the state of our list. N Burke springs to mind.

I must have missed that bit and there's no way I'm going to reread it but I have read far worse articles regarding the state of our list. N Burke springs to mind.

To be fair to Burke.. at least he put some time in his work. Even if the articles do smell of jealously and bitterness of our success. :D

To be fair to Burke.. at least he put some time in his work. Even if the articles do smell of jealously and bitterness of our success. :D

Has he ever written a single positive thing about the Dogs ??? Everything I've ever read by him re the Dogs has always been pointedly negative.

Has he ever written a single positive thing about the Dogs ??? Everything I've ever read by him re the Dogs has always been pointedly negative.

Those articles of his we cross posted on the MB. BigFooty got feedback from Burke himself on the amount of ridicule he got :D

Mediocre, second rate journos who are too full of themselves. The combination of arrogance, ignorance and laziness makes for a terrible cocktail for vulgar journalism. sad but true. no wonder newspapers are disappearing. best to read blogs i reckon. you can then discern what is good and not so good.

It's kinda sad. His club has choked in five grand finals since 1966 and we win one at our first attempt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckenarra's article was refreshingly spot on about our list IMO, until the Williams and Hamilton howlers. Very strange indeed.

Bloody hell im excited about Williams. Said it before, but I'm more excited about him than josh Dunkley. And I bloody love Dunkley.

Strange maddog , you seem to in some way defend him here. I don't have any problem with a journo writing negative stuff about the Bulldogs , but for Christ sakes someone pays you to put forward your opinion because you are an expert , and get this so horribly wrong ?
Any one of us could have done a summary of our list and be more spot on than this guy.

Strange maddog , you seem to in some way defend him here. I don't have any problem with a journo writing negative stuff about the Bulldogs , but for Christ sakes someone pays you to put forward your opinion because you are an expert , and get this so horribly wrong ?
Any one of us could have done a summary of our list and be more spot on than this guy.

Very true but we live and breath WB. I just thought that he had a decent overall sense of our playing group and it's strengths. I quite often read articles about us that lack even the most remote semblance of understanding. This one didn't fit that bill.

I expect people who are in the media to have a basic capability to research information and, at least at the surface level, get it right. The analysis of this part of this list did not require a deep analysis (i.e. like you see from King - although his are usually deep but lacking any meaningful breadth, which is why his predictions have very little reliability). The failure with respect to Williams was unforgivable, if he is going to assume a professional position on these issues.

Seriously, I could write a two page 'expert analysis' on the playing list of an NRL club if you gave me a coffee and 45 minutes, and I know absolutely **** all about the sport. You collect information on each player - both statistical and formal commentary from the club and media during the year. Look at best lists in games. Then you look at club sites (like here) with discussions about who is promising and who is in the gun, and then pump out your trite analysis lacking any references for whatever form of media it is. There is very little actual independent analysis, more an ability to integrate information from different sources to design a document (higher on Blooms taxonomy than analysis, lower than actual evaluation, but I digress... Its a very simple task!).

In this case, he clearly already had a body of information to go on of some depth accumulated from personal experience and in depth research, which was great and he demonstrated it in his piece. It wasn't the simple surface level guff of the type I've just provided a formula for. He only needed to go one step further and research the gaps and he didnt. It is a joke, and I dont think we should be defending it.

Saying that other articles are worse doesnt justify it maddog37. Extreme incompetence being the norm in our media is not an excuse for further incompetence of a lesser degree.

Last edited:
Defending is not what I'm doing. Couldn't give a rats toss bag about the author or the source. Just saying I found it not horrible. I'm not completing a thesis on the quality of modern sports journalism.

It was a five second throw away fluff piece The fact it was in the HS says it all. To expect any more from that rag is fruitless.

It's weird that he mentioned Lynch as well. Lynch, Smith, Williams, Webb. Every game of VFL I watch these four stand out as blokes who are going to make it.

I guess the thing that rubs people up the wrong way is when blokes like Buckenarra and Plough call themselves shit like 'the list manager' when they don't really watch anything below AFL level. Although I do think Buckenarra is an underage footy expert? Which makes his Williams and Hamilton calls even weirder.

Maybe he's just had a brain fade. Normally he's alright.

Defending is not what I'm doing. Couldn't give a rats toss bag about the author or the source. Just saying I found it not horrible. I'm not completing a thesis on the quality of modern sports journalism.

It was a five second throw away fluff piece The fact it was in the HS says it all. To expect any more from that rag is fruitless.

Spot on with that last sentence maddog. ( good form guide for gee gees though )

Ive been stewing on the Hamling decision to leave the club..
I'm not happy hes requested a trade to Freo so he can play with his mate Kersten.
Its not a family decision as they live in Cable Beach, which is a long way from Perth!
Anyone else feel ripped off?
A player who was delisted by his first club and thanks to the dogs was handed a rookie list lifeline when IIRC, no one else was interested.
Now less than 2 years later, he is a premiership KD with quality scalps and he decides its time to leave!
No wonder trade period has turned into a dogs breakfast, in a perfect world clubs will just be trying to improve their own lists.
Now with the perceived player power, trade period has turned into finding homes for dissatisfied players.
Tail wagging dog far too much?!
Or should I be looking at this from another angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back