Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stringer just isn't a mid. A) don't think his tank is up to scratch to be full time mid and B) and more importantly I just don't think he has the awareness to do the defensive work that a midfielder requires.

For instance if we came up against Geelong, Scott selwood as the tagger goes straight to Bont (we all know Bont is gonna cop the tag for the duration of his career) meaning that as an inside mid Stringer had to stand on Selwood or Dangerfield at the stoppages. Granted Stringer might do some damage but I guarantee you players like Dangerfield/Selwood would do even more damage the other way. Also players in the middle are required to fill space in the zone and push into defense. Don't like Stringer in that scenario.

His best utilised as a CHF/high half forward (whatever you want to call it) whose aim is to get 20 possessions and kick 2 - 3 goals a game. He can push into the around the ground stoppage but it's hopefully when he's being played as a forward, meaning that an accountable defender is with him and very unlikely to do damage the other day.

It's why I've been Championing Redpath to be in the team for so long, as he's the best deep forward we have and allows Stringer to thrive up the ground and not confined to forward 50. Stringer also takes on tackles and breaks lines meaning we have quicker ball movement into the 50.

Dusty should be Stringer's blueprint, and Stringer can be better. He's bigger, stronger and a better field kicker and goal kicker. Just needs to work up and down a lot more.

Dusty should be Stringer's blueprint, and Stringer can be better. He's bigger, stronger and a better field kicker and goal kicker. Just needs to work up and down a lot more.
Definitely not a better field kick than Martin, and not stronger or a better goalkicker. They're similar in their playstyles but Dusty is a fair way ahead of Stringer at this stage.

Agree that Stringer should be pointed at Dusty and told "do this". He's capable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noticed we were on average 3kg lighter than melbourne. No wonder we were getting pushed off the ball so easily.

Do we need to recruit some bigger bodied players?

When last week turned into a snipe fest before half time we matched them. no doubt the kgs will help but would ne nice if we could be more aggressive consistently each week

D4C certainly has good info and I don't doubt him. But we are in talks with his management.
His management was sorting out his off-field dramas last I spoke. Would be a huge backflip if they were suddenly on the blower to other clubs amid what he's dealing with right now. Doesn't make any sense and wouldn't consider it professional or responsible.

No. We need to hit the gym.
I'm not sure about that. When Bev got to the club he focused on running and getting the players a little bit lighter, and it showed throughout last season and in finals when we were still running harder at the end of games and winning the tight ones. We shouldn't go away from this because we're in a form slump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back