Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stringer just isn't a mid. A) don't think his tank is up to scratch to be full time mid and B) and more importantly I just don't think he has the awareness to do the defensive work that a midfielder requires.

For instance if we came up against Geelong, Scott selwood as the tagger goes straight to Bont (we all know Bont is gonna cop the tag for the duration of his career) meaning that as an inside mid Stringer had to stand on Selwood or Dangerfield at the stoppages. Granted Stringer might do some damage but I guarantee you players like Dangerfield/Selwood would do even more damage the other way. Also players in the middle are required to fill space in the zone and push into defense. Don't like Stringer in that scenario.

His best utilised as a CHF/high half forward (whatever you want to call it) whose aim is to get 20 possessions and kick 2 - 3 goals a game. He can push into the around the ground stoppage but it's hopefully when he's being played as a forward, meaning that an accountable defender is with him and very unlikely to do damage the other day.

It's why I've been Championing Redpath to be in the team for so long, as he's the best deep forward we have and allows Stringer to thrive up the ground and not confined to forward 50. Stringer also takes on tackles and breaks lines meaning we have quicker ball movement into the 50.
I'd also add that I don't think Stringer is a particularly smart player with ball in hand, which lends itself more to a frenetic forward line player than a midfielder who will have his hands on the ball more often. Stringer plays best when he's playing with real freedom and impulse, which also indicates that he offers most damage when he's less accountable.

I'm not sure about that. When Bev got to the club he focused on running and getting the players a little bit lighter, and it showed throughout last season and in finals when we were still running harder at the end of games and winning the tight ones. We shouldn't go away from this because we're in a form slump.
I read in some article in The Age a week or two ago (it was about GPS tracking for TV broadcasts) that Beveridge actually wants our players to run less than the average and to focus on protecting priority areas rather than constantly tracking a man. Not sure the real validity of this, maybe it has something to do with why we're able to run out games.

Channel 7 commentators claim one of the best defenders in the comp- just don't see it. Ok he takes a few nice intercepts but he's not that good one on one. Give me Jayden Hunt or Barass over him any day.
He's the leading intercept mark player in the competition, he'd fit into our system perfectly.
I don't know how we'd get the two first rounder we'd need to snare him though.

He's the leading intercept mark player in the competition, he'd fit into our system perfectly.
I don't know how we'd get the two first rounder we'd need to snare him though.
This year and next year's plus a depth player might be enough. Would people be willing to part with Webb and 2x1sts for Lever?

Also Ablett knows he cant get to Geelong and Pickering has spoken to us....

As I said JJ would have to go to Essendon and Roberts to Collingwood... that is why we locked him in early

Out :
JJ-Ess
Roberts-Coll
Crameri-Mel

Inn:
Lever
Ablett
Picks

As I said JJ would have to go to Essendon and Roberts to Collingwood... that is why we locked him in early

Out :
JJ-Ess
Roberts-Coll
Crameri-Mel

Inn:
Lever
Ablett
Picks
Lol. Roberts signed a contract extension like 3 days ago

Enough with this bullshit about Ablett, we're not going to sign him when he only has one year left in him and is no longer the explosive athlete that he used to be.
What the **** do we gain from signing him? Nothing.
Depends what he costs. Eagles are considerably better with Mitchell in their team despite his age.

Enough with this bullshit about Ablett, we're not going to sign him when he only has one year left in him and is no longer the explosive athlete that he used to be.
What the **** do we gain from signing him? Nothing.
The greatest midfielder ever... he's been pretty bloody awesome this year. Getting better with every game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would Ablett WANT to come to the Dogs ? He is already on record saying it's GC or Geelong or retirement. Money is NOT an issue

Some of the posts in here remind me of compulsive liars. They tell the same lie so often they honestly believe it as truth.

Ablett doesn't need us. We don't need Ablett. Move on folks

Out :
JJ-Ess
Roberts-Coll
Crameri-Mel

Inn:
Lever
Ablett
Picks
Stahhhhhhp

By the looks of things we'll have a top 10 pick this year so, what Tall forwards will be available around pick 8-10? De Koning? Be a good story if that eventuated. Possibly make a play for McCartin?

By the looks of things we'll have a top 10 pick this year so, what Tall forwards will be available around pick 8-10? De Koning? Be a good story if that eventuated. Possibly make a play for McCartin?

De Koning will be a 20-50 sort of pick.

Noah Balta (Swingman) is probably the only one really in our reach if we had a top 10 pick. But he could go top 5 easily.

More a midfield draft. Especially inside linebreaking types.

This year and next year's plus a depth player might be enough. Would people be willing to part with Webb and 2x1sts for Lever?
He wouldn't cost that much. Adelaide wouldn't trade two firsts for Gibbs, we won't do that for Lever.

Would cost a first plus a player... being SA I'd say Williams. They'd ask for Daniel and we'd tell them to piss off.

He wouldn't cost that much. Adelaide wouldn't trade two firsts for Gibbs, we won't do that for Lever.

Would cost a first plus a player... being SA I'd say Williams. They'd ask for Daniel and we'd tell them to piss off.
Wouldn't the Crows want a mid, rather than another back flanker type though?

I honestly think we should make a serious play for McCartin. Something tells me he is gettable. Would happily do a first and Webb.

A first and Webb is definitely overs. Haven't seen him do much at all and is constantly getting dropped to VFL.

Webb straight swap I'd do but it'd never happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back