Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was emergency in the afl website best 22. Madness.
In fairness McLean is an emergency in that team also,it's not an easy team to pick. I'd leave out Suckling for Jong or Dunkley from that team and maybe cloke but some might say leaving Suckling out is crazy. If we are at full strength round one there is going to be some very unlucky players playing for Footscray.

In fairness McLean is an emergency in that team also,it's not an easy team to pick. I'd leave out Suckling for Jong or Dunkley from that team and maybe cloke but some might say leaving Suckling out is crazy. If we are at full strength round one there is going to be some very unlucky players playing for Footscray.

Nah still no hope against gws ;)

VD says Pruden has been given a deal, but no published article that I am aware of has ever stated this.
JMac said on the club website that we were unable to offer Koby and Rat contracts because we didn't have enough list spots available (resulting in us not being very well compensated at the trade table). This could only be true if Prudden has re-signed.

JMac said on the club website that we were unable to offer Koby and Rat contracts because we didn't have enough list spots available (resulting in us not being very well compensated at the trade table). This could only be true if Prudden has re-signed.
Or if they had other plans for that last spot on the list, like a KPP DFA or a rookie upgrade of Smith or Lynch.

Yet look at their list now. He has managed to start by getting so many good young kids and many have been used as currency. Looking at their list one might suggest it's now fairly formidable . Maybe not such a fool after all.

Dalrymple drafting for GWS.

Stuff of nightmares

We are not squeaky clean in getting the alignment right either. We were aligned with Werribee when James Podsiadly was there and we had no forwards and our attitude every year was "nothing to see here" and then with Williamstown they had to pay us to take Picken! Thankfully our talent spotting and drafting has improved markedly since those days.

With Barlow right under our nose, with Freo swooping. Before he broke his leg he was on track to win a Brownlow.

I dont want to be over critical as I don't know the details, but we were then surely benefited by waiting to sign players until after trade week, right? I mean why give other clubs bargaining power. I completely understand looking after players and getting them to their destinations, but we may have got a better price had other clubs thought we were interested and crucially capable of retaining the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if the AFL will ever handicap Dally to give the other recruiters a chance. Seems unfair they don't get an advantage and have to compete against a star on an even playing field.

It won't be the Scully's of the world having multi million dollar deals written to get the next new club up and running. Dal, or someone like him, will suddenly get very very rich if it ever happens again.

What's the minimum we can play a senior player?

Maybe we have kept Hamilton on the list and paying him as little as we can so we can stay at 95% cap for the year whereas of we signed Koby or hrovat who we would all agree have shown more.. they would cost too much and put us above the threshold..

Does that make sense or is that stupid ?

What's the minimum we can play a senior player?

Maybe we have kept Hamilton on the list and paying him as little as we can so we can stay at 95% cap for the year whereas of we signed Koby or hrovat who we would all agree have shown more.. they would cost too much and put us above the threshold..

Does that make sense or is that stupid ?

It does make sense, although I think everything coming out of our club, and the way Bevo acts, suggests that we are not a cynical organisation in any way, shape or form. We will have HR policies and agreements with our players, which will undoubtedly involve a set timeline in which they can prove themselves, which gives leeway for lack of senior performances and time for development (behavioural issues to do with basic professionalism, like those Goetz had, will be non-negotiables though). You'll bet the players are given about 3 years to prove themselves to give them personal security and thus time to give it their all and perform their best. There would then also be pathways and club support for whatever happens next. I dont think the cap would have been the major consideration at all with Hamilton.

Ultimately: I think we are an organisation that treats its players like human beings not chattel - which makes us odd in the context of AFL football.

As someone who works in an industry with absolutely no contract security, I cannot stress how much this kind of support can mean, and how much it effects your performance.

Litherland cut. Always had a soft spot for him. Shame we've got a full list.
It's a tough gig being a player with a poor-below average kick at Hawthorn. Not many survive. Has some talent for sure.

Spoke to an x dogs player now coaching at St Kilda thinks the dogs played this trade period well said they are going to front loud 4 players this year Stringer,Boyd for the second year Bonti and Hunter.
He thinks 2017 there will be 3-6 stars on the move and they want to have the coin to accommodate.
I did ask what players smiled and said doesn't even matter if your contracted..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back