Mega Thread Trade/Draft/Delist SuperMegaUltrathread - 2016/17 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to take ages to iron out his crappy kicking, if ever. We are in premiership mode now. The player taken at 12 must have elite kicking.

Jetta has elite kicking. The way the game has gone, with the flooding of contests and rolling mauls, beasts at the contest are what we need. Players who are not contested beasts have little impact now ... cue Jetta, Hill, Master and co. The pepper shaker is just what we need, and if we use 12 for him, I'm fine with that.

I'm happy to pull the trigger at 12 on SPP.

I'd also like to use 12 like we did with pick 6 and Sheed. Somehow drop down to later in the 1st round and pick up a 2nd rounder as well.

SPP I can see still being available with a late 1st rounder.
That was a unique situation.

The club looked at the draft and took the risk that no player between 6-11, would be better than Sheed and that they were guaranteed other clubs rated him less.

There is no such situation this year, in fact the opposite.

There is a lot of academy talent that may be available, likewise there are a few bolters that may squeeze out some top 10 talent. Picks 10-15 are pretty valuable this year as there is some great high end players.

There is a feeling of fantasy footy/footy manager type attitude to some of the posts. Accumulating late first, early second round picks would be good in this draft, but WC has no currency to do so.

McKenzie will stay probably. If he doesn't, then looking to bundle two second round picks for better draft position with a club targeting academy kids may be good. But will McKenzie go? Club is more likely to promise him games ahead of Barrass. Also, Brown will net us very little of value since his salary will be low. In fact, the club may just be fine with him off the books.

Eagles pick 12 + 49 to GWS

GWS send back pick 16 + 32 (Curtley Hampton trade).

Both GWS and GC are chasing future picks for academy kids next year.

So we do have the currency but do we have the nerve and the will.

I would be shopping around next years 2nd rounder to land something this year. That "something this year" could be SPP.

I'm happy to pull the trigger at 12 on SPP.

I'd also like to use 12 like we did with pick 6 and Sheed. Somehow drop down to later in the 1st round and pick up a 2nd rounder as well.

SPP I can see still being available with a late 1st rounder.
Yep lets do that a turn away a better talent may even get SPS if Dockers don't doesn't want to leave Perth

Because people seem to want AFL to turn into the English Premier league, big sexy shiny new signings and crazy money thrown around.

Ain't that the truth. Generation has been brought up by idiot box, attention spans are low, and everything on tv is believable.

People talk about Barrett but media over there have campaigns and journo opinion has become the news.

I reckon that if Jarryd Lyons had been a WA boy that many of this board would have already put his name up as a trade target.

He is a very good B grader and he is out of contract and not impressed with the offer in front of his from Adelaide.

We seem to always be blinded and singularly focus on only trying to entice WA kids back home and onto our list and here is an opportunity to improve our list by recruiting outside of our normal restrictive parameters.

Derr. Especially delisted wa player from a near bottom team. We love those.

People seem to forget that we are in the business of winning premierships, not making everyone happy and keep doing the same things over and over, Repeating things and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity. Gotta crack a few eggs to make a cake

Except fans are like my daughter. Lots of random cracking and no cake.

That was a unique situation.

The club looked at the draft and took the risk that no player between 6-11, would be better than Sheed and that they were guaranteed other clubs rated him less.

There is no such situation this year, in fact the opposite.

There is a lot of academy talent that may be available, likewise there are a few bolters that may squeeze out some top 10 talent. Picks 10-15 are pretty valuable this year as there is some great high end players.
Finally someone that speaks some sense.
We need to buy in and get more early picks this year, not the opposite.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-n...alec-on-west-coasts-list-20161008-grxvp4.html

Posted this in the news thread but I'm putting it here as well for discussion

Cliffs -
Jake not a certainty to be a father/son but holds no ill will towards the club for delisting Alec

Does admit though that Alec's delisting did tick the family and he avoids talking about footy with his brother

Suggests that Alec wasn't as fit as he could have been when drafted and that may have been a factor in his health deteriorating as he tried too hard to catch up. Mentions Alec might have drunk too much early on

Simpson had told Alec he was close to senior selection prior to him getting crook

Younger brother Ben doesn't play footy

Except fans are like my daughter. Lots of random cracking and no cake.
haha, mate you wouldnt believe the hate ive gotten for saying that the team is a business, and the aim of the business is to win

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-n...alec-on-west-coasts-list-20161008-grxvp4.html

Posted this in the news thread but I'm putting it here as well for discussion

Cliffs -
Jake not a certainty to be a father/son but holds no ill will towards the club for delisting Alec

Does admit though that Alec's delisting did tick the family and he avoids talking about footy with his brother

Suggests that Alec wasn't as fit as he could have been when drafted and that may have been a factor in his health deteriorating as he tried too hard to catch up. Mentions Alec might have drunk too much early on

Simpson had told Alec he was close to senior selection prior to him getting crook

Younger brother Ben doesn't play footy

In regards to Alec, do you think WC could pick him up again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally someone that speaks some sense.
We need to buy in and get more early picks this year, not the opposite.

I agree the more picks the better and from what I gather the talent pool is pretty even through the first 20 or more players after the top handful

There's not much we have to trade to improve picks 31 and 49 so that's why I've said it may be worth considering trying to get two slightly later picks for pick 12 to get an extra pick. Something both you and Play by Numbers seem to disagree with which is fine

My main point is that if, and I stress if, the club is really keen on SPP such that they're almost certainly intending to take him at 12, then it makes some sense to downgrade that pick because it seems like sheed we'd have more interest in him than other clubs

Regardless of what we pontificate about on here though it's imperative that the club gets this draft right as it hasn't been since 2010 that we've scored big.

Scrimshaw is my love interest in this draft but unless he slides big, we aren't getting him with pick 12.

SPP might seem like a reach that early, but i'd rather we took the punt. He has a fair bit of campaigner about him and he's easily 'man child' enough to be plonked on a forward flank come round 1 and have an impact without waiting for his body to mature.

You could almost say he has a bit of Dustin Martin about him.

Cant help but think we should have left Alec on the rookie list. Its not like we've had much success with other rookie picks recently.
I'd kinda assumed that the decision to delist Alec had been done in consultation with the family and it may have been agreed that it was in Alec's best interests to forget about footy and just concentrate on getting better

Reading that article suggests that wasn't the case so I think there's merit in the idea we should have kept him on the rookie list as hake says he understands the clubs position but you get the feeling there's a bit of angst there

There's not much we have to trade to improve picks 31 and 49 so that's why I've said it may be worth considering trying to get two slightly later picks for pick 12 to get an extra pick. Something both you and Play by Numbers seem to disagree with which is fine

Lamb?

Are we able to match an offer to Brown and force a trade also? could net a pick upgrade if so?

I'd kinda assumed that the decision to delist Alec had been done in consultation with the family and it may have been agreed that it was in Alec's best interests to forget about footy and just concentrate on getting better

Reading that article suggests that wasn't the case so I think there's merit in the idea we should have kept him on the rookie list as hake says he understands the clubs position but you get the feeling there's a bit of angst there

Agree, I assumed it was partially Alec's call, it doesnt appear that was the case & I am disappointed with the decision.

Agree, I assumed it was partially Alec's call, it doesnt appear that was the case & I am disappointed with the decision.
Something still doesn't seem right. I remember mentioning it last off season. Put on the rookie list after 1 year when we didn't have a full main list anyway and now delisted. His brother mentioned he liked the alcohol. Maybe there was something else at play there.

If he goes back and plays WAFL next year we could easily pick him up in next year's draft so makes you wonder why we didn't just give him another year.

I swear I read something at the time that said the club had discussed it with the Waterman family and they all decided it was better for him to be delisted and concentrate on his health.
I remember hearing that as well. Perhaps west coast felt it was in everyone's best interest that he moved on and Alec didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back