List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next you’ll tell me he takes the best defender ahead of Kennedy and darling
All i'm saying is he was picked after CCJ and has played 45 games coming into a Premiership side .
CCJ has been on the list for the same amount of time and played 5 games .
He's had opportunity in all his years to get games and couldn't get in .
Nank ,Jack and Lynch have all missed plenty of games in the last 3 years and he was overlooked each time .
Theirs no way you can say CCJ is ahead of Oscar Allen at this time in his career He might end up a better player hopefully for us but right now he's not.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

All i'm saying is he was picked after CCJ and has played 45 games coming into a Premiership side .
Nank ,Jack and Lynch have all missed plenty of games in the last 3 years and he was overlooked each time .
Theirs no way you can say CCJ is ahead of Oscar Allen at this time in his career He might end up a better player hopefully for us but right now he's not.

I think you are overlooking some key areas of perspective here.

Coleman-Jones is 200 cm, Allen 194 cms.

Players in Coleman-Jones’ height range are known to take longer to develop at AFL level than players in Allen’s height range. Allen and Balta are a much fairer comparison.

Both Balta and Allen - each listed at 194cms - look really good players based on their careers to date and especially as they have demonstrated decent ability in different positions. Allen when playing forward has normally been the 3rd tall forward so it is a bit hard to get a read on how he might fair against the best key defender in the opposition. When moved to defence he seemed to acquit himself brilliantly, which probably tells us he is a terrific footballer. Balta has gone toe to toe with the best key forwards in the competition and more than held his own overall.

Coleman-Jones at his height was always going to be a year or two behind that pair, and we literally don’t know at what point he was ready to start impacting at AFL level because of his long 2020 suspension. In his fourth year now you can only say he seems to be on track for a player of his height. We just need to see him in more situations and against strong opponents to get a proper read on how he is looking. It is simply too early for us to know how good he might be compared to Allen and Balta. But if you have first and third pick out of Coleman-Jones, Balta and Allen, you are not complaining if you miss out on one of Balta and Allen.

Last edited:

Players in Coleman-Jones’ height range are known to tske longer to develop at AFL level than players in Allen’s height range. Allen and Balta are a much fairer comparison.

Both Balta and Allen - each listed at 194cms - look really good players based on their careers to date and especially as they have demonstrated decent ability in different positions. Allen when playing forward has normally been the 3rd tall forward so it is a bit hard to get a read on how he might fair against the best key defender in the opposition. When moved to defence he seemed to acquit himself brilliantly, which probably tells us he is a terrific footballer. Balta has gone toe to toe with the best key forwards in the competition and more than held his own overall.

Coleman-Jones at his height was always going to be a year or two behind that pair, and we literally don’t know at what point he was ready to start impacting at AFL level because of his long 2020 suspension. In his fourth year now you can only say he seems to be on track for a player of his height. We just need to see him in more situations and against strong opponents to get a proper read on how he is looking. It is simply too early for us to know how good he might be compared to Allen and Balta. But if you have first and third pick out of Coleman-Jones, Balta and Allen, you are not complaining if you miss out on one of Balta and Allen.
A lot of oppo fans are devaluing CJ because he took so long to get into the team. They don't realise that if it wasn't for his suspension last year he would have played throughout the finals and most likely have been a premiership player alongside Balta.

Really surprised Bowes has stayed this long at GC. What they have done to him is mind blowing. He was and still is a gun mid who is forced to play on taller forwards and get a few cheap kick ins. He has so much more potential and has a lot more value to bring in the midfield. He reminds me of Pendlebury with his composure! He has learnt some great defensive skills, but currently being wasted.

Would love to see us target him for a permanent midfield role, would be an under rated get and surprise a lot!

Really surprised Bowes has stayed this long at GC. What they have done to him is mind blowing. He was and still is a gun mid who is forced to play on taller forwards and get a few cheap kick ins. He has so much more potential and has a lot more value to bring in the midfield. He reminds me of Pendlebury with his composure! He has learnt some great defensive skills, but currently being wasted.

Would love to see us target him for a permanent midfield role, would be an under rated get and surprise a lot!
He wants out according to Tiger71

A lot of oppo fans are devaluing CJ because he took so long to get into the team. They don't realise that if it wasn't for his suspension last year he would have played throughout the finals and most likely have been a premiership player alongside Balta.

He wouldn't have played in the wet prelim and then the GABBA was flooded all day leading into the GF. There was also no need for a second ruck with the shorter quarters. Then factor in an extra preseason so he wouldn't have been as good as he is now anyway.

Either way Marvel should suit him perfectly, so lets hope for a bag on Thursday night.

Tiger71 has been consistent on CCJ departing for some reason

Less likely now that he is playing. But still on the cards. Once he opens his mind to a move, then the extra $ and guaranteed game time might move him on. :huh:

WCE structure up with 1 ruck 1 ruck/forward, 2 KPF & 3 KPD, when Allen was drafted they were using a combination of Vardy Lycett and NicNat as the ruck & ruck/forward and Allen couldn't get a look in. It was only after Lycett left and Vardy/NicNat went down with injury that Allen got his chance in 2019. Had they not got injured and missed a heap of games to give Allen a chance it's possible he'd be in the same boat as CCJ, with less than 10 games to his name and still trying to make his way.

Since we drafted CCJ we've preferred to play either Jack and a bunch of mid sized options until Lynch arrived and we changed up to the 2 KPF and a ruck either Nankervis or Soldo. It wasn't until the 2019 finals that we started playing the 2 KPF & 2 rucks. In 2020 a late night trip to get a kebab when he shouldn't have cost CCJ any chance of being selected when a big opportunity presented itself when Nank and Soldo ended up being hurt.

So while you're correct that at this stage of their careers Allen is ahead of CCJ, it should be noted that CCJs start to his career has been quite promising and he is heading in the right direction.

Less likely now that he is playing. But still on the cards. Once he opens his mind to a move, then the extra $ and guaranteed game time might move him on. :huh:

I hope he stays, I want him to stay.

I think he can make us better now and in the long term and is very important to our strategy.

Not many are like CCJ. He is a bit of a point of difference if utilised right over the journey.

Not many are like Allen either. With Allen though one would probably leave him in the forward line. With CCJ a good team could easily utilise his versatility and move him up the ground regularly including rucking and play other forwards around him

Tiger71 has been consistent on CCJ departing for some reason

reason is that he will be offered large amount of money and probably some ridiculous offer by GC when they lose a few players again.... I rate him highly and it would hurt a lot to see him thrive at another club. Unfortunately it happens, and I am very frustrated at this.

Players in Coleman-Jones’ height range are known to take longer to develop at AFL level than players in Allen’s height range. Allen and Balta are a much fairer comparison.

Good post. I think the Balta/Allen comparison is a good one. Imagine when these two start lining up on each other over the next ten years.

Are there any other 200cm ruck forward types from that draft to compare CCJ with ?

reason is that he will be offered large amount of money and probably some ridiculous offer by GC when they lose a few players again.... I rate him highly and it would hurt a lot to see him thrive at another club. Unfortunately it happens, and I am very frustrated at this.
He’s a dik if at 21 he leaves to the likes of GC for coin. FA is the right junction for that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess we will get a good look at him Thurs night strauchy

Good post. I think the Balta/Allen comparison is a good one. Imagine when these two start lining up on each other over the next ten years.

Are there any other 200cm ruck forward types from that draft to compare CCJ with ?

Tom de Koning went to the blues at pick 30. He looks a really good prospect.

Ballenden an Academy selection for Brisbane at 43 looks ok but as yet below these other guys.

Lloydy Meek at pick 69 to Fremantle I hsve read bits about, he sounds like he could be ok but hasn’t shown up yet in any significant way.

Tristan Xerri went to North with pick 72and he looks a pretty competitive type but may lack the class of the better 200cm+ guys in the draft.

Swans picked up Amartey as a rookie and whilst he is showing some promise also hasn’t set the world on fire at AFL level yet.

Best of that lot clearly de Koning based on what we have seen so far, and he is the only one looking anywhere near as valuable as CCJ at this point I think. I have a bit of a soft spot for Xerri, he has a crack.

Ballenden an Academy selection for Brisbane at 43 looks ok but as yet below these other guys.

Lloydy Meek at pick 69 to Fremantle I hsve read bits about, he sounds like he could be ok but hasn’t shown up yet in any significant way.

Tristan Xerri went to North with pick 72and he looks a pretty competitive type but may lack the class of the better 200cm+ guys in the draft.

Swans picked up Amartey as a rookie and whilst he is showing some promise also hasn’t set the world on fire at AFL level yet.

Best of that lot clearly de Koning based on what we have seen so far, and he is the only one looking anywhere near as valuable as CCJ at this point I think. I have a bit of a soft spot for Xerri, he has a crack.
Yep CCJ looks a god pick in that company. I agree DeKoning looks a likely type. Allen would have been the perfect Jack replacement, I see CCJ as being similar to Lynch.

Xerri is being courted by the suns also. Probably shows their desperation in signing talls this off season

On CPH2207 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back