List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think rewarding players that helped us to 3 flags & a little thing called the salary cap sort of put an end to the that I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But isn't it the opposite? Success leads to players offering to play for unders.

Remember when Rance was coming out and saying he wasn't even sure if they wanted Tom Lynch becasue, even if Tom was a gun, it might 'upset the balance'.

I reckon that was way over the top, bit bath-water-drinking, we perhaps missed a trick or three with that attitude over the last few years with trades.

Those trades we're FIVE years ago. Besides Lynch we've done nothing in FIVE years. We're no longer a destination club. While we were we could've cleaned up bringing in players dying for a chance at the ultimate success.
Lol and what would have happened? We would have won the 19 and 20 flags by more???

If we did as you say, we’d have an aging list with less draft picks and bursting salary cap that would have led us to losing more younger players.

And on that, we literally have Robbie Tarrant coming in the door.

Am i the only one who actually now doesn't want us to trade or do anything for the period apart from bring Tarrant over just to watch w***ers explode in this thread?

So what you’re saying is we’ll end with Saints and Lions first rounder, package them up to GC for Ben King, what a trade period it will be
I struggle to see how this doesn’t happen

So dont quote me and can't remember where I saw it but general consensus was Top 3-5 are a level above. Chuck a blanket over 5-30.

I can only guess we want to keep as many top 30 picks as possible

Not quite but for all we know Richmond rank the top 30 players in Tier 1 1-5, Tier 2 5-15, Tier 3 15-30. In this case the player who we rate at 17 may have very little difference between the guy we rank at 28. A trade for pick 17 based on how we rate the draft may not be worth it based on the potential cost. We may think the guy who we rank at 17 may last to 23 where we could still live trade up and get him for less than it what it would cost during the trade period. So many different factors would come into it. Im sure the club would have preferred that the picks remain where they were so that on the day they could offer what was needed to land that pick but until such time as draft day there is the risk that the player who you were hoping to select with lets say Pick 17 is already off the table and the guy you rated next best could be had with a pick later than 17.

The closer we get to the draft the more draftees become the draft pick, i.e. Pick 6 becomes Erasmus, Pick 7 becomes Amiss, Pick 8 becomes Hobbs, Pick 9 becomes Goater, Pick 10 becomes Wanganeen Milera and so on. Might be the odd surprise here and there but for the most part clubs have a fairly good read on how it will play out.

My honest opinion here

History has shown, Richmond would rather trade for live picks on Draft night.

They have specific players targeted. Dependent on how the draft progresses, they'll have plenty of leverage with the plethora of their live picks, to adjust throughout the night.

And if they end up requiring to pass on Pick 44 or something? They'll just trade it to another team for their future 3rd rounder. Last year was a great example- apparently we wanted Finlay McCrae, Collingwood picked him before us, then we traded our pick to Geelong

The good clubs have a plan on draft night, and execute it. The bad clubs (Carlton), get overwhelmed by the occasion and treat it like Fev at the TAB.

Our prerogative here may not be to move from 15 to 11 (lol), but to approach draft night with the intention of clawing up the pecking order when it suits us, and omitting/trading picks when it also benefits us.

This.

So many clubs act on the basis of looking good without any idea of their end goal. Essentially build hype on average recruits (relative to their cost) to sell hope to fans and sell memberships. All the talk last year was Carlton smashed it by picking up Saad and Williams yet they went backwards. Neither player filled a massive need for them and to bring them to the club they had to pay well over what they were actually worth.

Am i the only one who actually now doesn't want us to trade or do anything for the period apart from bring Tarrant over just to watch w***ers explode in this thread?
The poster in me says yes

The mod in me says no

"But i have one more trade theory"
"Bugger off, i have read enough on pick 17"
"but it is just a little trade involving 3 clubs....."
"oh, all right then..."

The poster in me says yes

The mod in me says no

You have the hammer of the gods in your armoury. Feel free to use it on anyone other than me.....sir.....

I’ve noticed there’s a North fan that spends 80% of his life in this thread without posting. Strange unit.
Most of them are.
Imagine the highlight of your last decade is stealing an unproven player from us 😂😂😂
Actually don’t have to imagine. We used to be them 😢

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get off his knob ffs

Hey, he's a great mod, better than some past mod who was a bit of a poser. If i recall when i met him, he introduced himself as "the guy who mods on the tigers board....." Just sayin'

Hey, he's a great mod, better than some past mod who was a bit of a poser. If i recall when i met him, he introduced himself as "the guy who mods on the tigers board....." Just sayin'
**** I was a great mod.

Those trades we're FIVE years ago. Besides Lynch we've done nothing in FIVE years. We're no longer a destination club. While we were we could've cleaned up bringing in players dying for a chance at the ultimate success.
We are a destination club, it's just that when you win THREE FLAGS IN FOUR YEARS, you have to pay triple premiership players what they are worth or risk alienating players/supporters by offloading popular players because someone's ****ed up the Excel sheet. So right now, it's a bit like Covid Australia. They want to come, we just can't let them in, and we're fine with it.

It's not Supercoach - we can't run purely on guns & rookies. We bring in specific players for specific roles and manage the depth as best as possible looking years in advance. It's a very delicate balancing act and we've done bloody well to hold it together. So Butler, Higgins, CCJ and Chol wanted to leave for more money or more games? C'est la vie. Would far prefer that scenario than any of our top dozen demanding a trade because they were undervalued.

We did an incredible job bringing in Caddy, Prestia and Nank, followed by Lynch. That window has closed.

Our options now are playing our cards close to our chest and rigidly stick to the value we assign to our current hand, or return to the 'glory' days of trading for Biddiscombe, Keays, Sampson, Gwilliam, Rombotis, Blurton, James, Baldwin, Robins, Dundas, Fox, Eishold, Hudson, Nichols, Blumfield, Houlihan, Morrison, McMahon etc. (appreciate several of these were probably PSD/junk picks but you get the drift...)?

fu** I was a great mod.

Remember the days when we were shit and you used to just go ban apeshit on oppo w***ers? Good times. Damn good times.

Remember the days when we were sh*t and you used to just go ban apeshit on oppo w***ers? Good times. Damn good times.
I banned more
Of our supporters than oppo 😂😂😂😂

your mates I believe

I banned more
Of our supporters than oppo 😂😂😂😂

your mates I believe

Factually true. Can confirm. :D:D:D:D:D We were just misunderstood is how i recall it. You know, just abusing people and the club, but it was done in a professional manner.......

The problem is we have another pick for CCJ coming and hence 3 in the 40s we have no use for. Vultures will circle and we’ll get bugger all for them
If the club believes that we will only get a late pick for CCJ, then they may just let CCJ go to the preseason draft. We probably do not need another forties pick. if that’s the case then insist on a better pick from North Melbourne or just let it ride. **** them.

Last edited:
Factually true. Can confirm. :D:D:D:D:D We were just misunderstood is how i recall it. You know, just abusing people and the club, but it was done in a professional manner.......
The mods
Of the modern era have no idea how good they have it.
It was feral back then.

We're 3 days in and people are saying we've dropped the ball, we're asleep at the wheel, questioning what the hell we're doing. Would hate to see some of you guys at the strippers. First girl hits the stage and it's all over.
We have lost alot of ground and been out manouvred. As well as being in the gun with CCJ.

Not going to plan. More of the same will be huge opportunities squandered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back