List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The names he said last couple of years were later reported by the media. When we really wanted them we were out bid. One thing the Tigers have is a limit to the amount they will spend.

Otherwise it was interest, and we just wouldn't spend the picks/$ to make it happen.

Yes Tiger71 is pretty noisy and acclaims himself. But he is not usually wrong.

We always have to remember that
1) we are playing a game of many moving parts. We want 1 good mid for a good price. So we have to ask 3, 6 or 10 to find who is good for the price we want to pay. So there are multiple names that genuinely are in the conversation. An sometimes the ones we really want are also ones other teams want - in fact pretty much always. Some teams don't have a limit to their offers compared to us. So often we went as hard as we could, but others went harder.
2) We have a list that we want to keep together. We have kids to keep and Dusty to pay. If we can transition from a multiple premiership team that got old to a contending team without any serious down time it's a first. That requires keeping a lot of moving parts in motion and under control at the same time. And the salary cap is a huge issue that we have to manage.
Yep good examples are crouch hogan and Zac jones no doubt we were keen , ultimately oppo were in a position to table much better deals with ample tpp space , Hogan the one that got away imho

Without casting aspersions, that’s pure hope and speculation. We can throw many darts at a board and eventually it hits the treble twenty. Good reading/listening but that’s all it is to me.
Dunkley and McGrath for starters aren’t going anywhere imo. One of the GWS mids is a strong chance based upon media reports. Blair is really good at this kind of long view recruiting and he’d have planned years ahead if anything’s going to happen.
Who's to say it hasn't been planned years out just like Lynch?

Following on from what Tiger 71 said, it all makes sense. Need a ready made midfielder and Hopper could be a bargain, won’t have the bidding war you would with Taranto as he has been injured all year.

In terms of Rioli, hope we keep him as he is a big part of our culture and is and will continue to be a leader for our indigenous players and any we recruit in the future. However if he did decide to take a big offer from Gold Coast it could work out for us. They have a lot to trade with so we would get a good deal as they need experience and not picks, I’d ask for their first this year and I think that would be reasonable for both clubs. Also, we do have depth and potential when it comes to running half backs in Hugo, Mansell, Brown and Short could go back there if we bolster our midfield.
Again I hope he stays, but it could be an opportunity for us to get a good midfielder or draft a good young key forward. You have to lose something to get something.
I'd be shocked if he leaves with MRJ at the club.
He may re-sign for 2yrs then head for the money.
But right now i doubt it.

If the salary cap rumours about GWS are on the money Sol, we’d be a huge chance of landing a midfielder from them I’d reckon.
And before anyone says it, it won’t be Tom Green as he and Callaghan are the last players they’re going to release
I teach Callaghan's sister and I'm working hard on the getting her to encourage him to come to Richmond... just give me another 4 months and I'll get it done for 2024 ;)

I’d highly doubt gc have much spare tpp ,they salary dumPed last year with Brodie . In fact they’d be tighter than us ,,,,closer to home like norf or Ess would loom larger with big offers to dan , reckon he sticks though

Thomas has also had much more opportunity to play seniors in a s**t team
Riley averaged 14.7 disposals and 3.3 clearances a game in 2021, playing out of position.
Other than the goal tally, it's not a huge gulf in difference
Riley played midfield in 2021, when he wasn't on the bench hooked up to a respirator. But you're right, that was out of position. His last chance to make it is as a forward.

Spider senses say hopper , on the cheap too as the lightweights all flock to Taranto
No chance of getting Hopper cheap. It would cost our first, plus.

Yep good examples are crouch hogan and Zac jones no doubt we were keen , ultimately oppo were in a position to table much better deals with ample tpp space , Hogan the one that got away imho
We were too late on Jones. If we had have done the work earlier like the Saints did he would have chosen us imo.

We were too occupied with other targets that didn't come off.

Did he say Dan Rioli is considering leaving? Wow, agree with you that with Maurice at the club and his apparent happiness being among the ”brothers” at Richmond, there’s little to zero chance he will be going anywhere

Riley played midfield in 2021, when he wasn't on the bench hooked up to a respirator. But you're right, that was out of position. His last chance to make it is as a forward.

No chance of getting Hopper cheap. It would cost our first, plus.
Cerra was only a r1 so was Prestia , we offer 19 I’d be very surprised if that were bettered , no bottom 10 team gonna do it and most top 8 teams would fit in $ . Eg Ess would be keen , no way do they part with top 10 pic
We ll bring him in for the nm pic

Did he say Dan Rioli is considering leaving? Wow, agree with you that with Maurice at the club and his apparent happiness being among the ”brothers” at Richmond, there’s little to zero chance he will be going anywhere

If we're talking about what was said on the pod, he said he's 70% confident that Rioli stays, and the other 30% is more referring to a team paying stupid money that is impossible to refuse, like Carlton did for Saad and Williams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can get Thomas for pick #19
You grab it - Can somebody do a Tarryn Thomas in a Richmond jumper ;)

Thomas has also had much more opportunity to play seniors in a s**t team
Riley averaged 14.7 disposals and 3.3 clearances a game in 2021, playing out of position.
Other than the goal tally, it's not a huge gulf in difference

From Round 8 of 2021 Thomas averaged 20 possessions and 1.3 goals per game. Averaging 20+ and a goal a game is rarified air across the competition reserved for players like Danger, Bont, Dusty, Shai Bolton, Petracca and DeGoey.

In that 14 game stretch he also averaged 5 x Inside 50’s, 1 x goal assist and 4 x tackles.

Those are elite numbers for any player, let alone someone who at the start of 2021 had played 26 games.

Anyway …. the point is at the end of 2021 as a 21yo on the back of that 14-game stretch he’d have commanded a top-10 pick without a second thought. This season has muddied the waters a bit in regards to both performance and mindset … but there’s no way North let him go for pick #19 and RCD. If they did then we wouldn’t hesitate (so long as he wasn’t a head case)

From Ralph the mouth-Sides going against the rebuild.

At Richmond, the capacity to secure five picks in 30 last year — all of them who have shown early VFL or AFL promise — gives the Tigers so much freedom in this year’s national draft.

The combined value of their first pick (10) and the North Melbourne second-rounder in their keeping (pick 19) is 2343 draft points, the equivalent of the No.3 draft pick.

Should the Tigers look at a player like [PLAYERCARD]Tim Taranto[/PLAYERCARD]? Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Should the Tigers look at a player like Tim Taranto? Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
In other words, clearly enough to trade for a GWS midfielder like Tim Taranto.

The Tigers have always known they would need to restock their midfield as Trent Cotchin moves into retirement, and have believed a GWS midfielder would fall out given cap issues this year.

Cotchin’s injury and Prestia’s concussion against Geelong was a glimpse to the future and yet Liam Baker’s exquisite second half led to the game of the year.

But with Prestia 30 in October, Richmond surely is in the perfect position to hand over early picks for a player like Taranto.

He is in the right age bracket (24), he can play inside mid and resting forward, he is a brilliant young kid and he will fit in perfectly with the emerging youngsters in Shai Bolton, Noah Balta, Josh Gibcus, Maurice Rioli and Hugo Ralphsmith.

If not him, which other established mid will the Tigers consider?

So a team which has won three flags since 2017 could add a player of that calibre and further gap the Roos, a team deserving of a priority pick but no certainty to get one.

Dimma danced around JRs playing future in a recent interview on Foxtel. When JR was asked about that he was very sheepish. Think it’s sounding unlikely he plays on.

Reiwoldt bought up a good point though, you don’t want all your experience leaving at once- referring to Cotch, Shedda and himself
Sooo JR8 does want to go around again...

Not sure.Haven't listened too it yet.

From Ralph the mouth-Sides going against the rebuild.

At Richmond, the capacity to secure five picks in 30 last year — all of them who have shown early VFL or AFL promise — gives the Tigers so much freedom in this year’s national draft.

The combined value of their first pick (10) and the North Melbourne second-rounder in their keeping (pick 19) is 2343 draft points, the equivalent of the No.3 draft pick.

Should the Tigers look at a player like Tim Taranto? Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

In other words, clearly enough to trade for a GWS midfielder like Tim Taranto.

The Tigers have always known they would need to restock their midfield as Trent Cotchin moves into retirement, and have believed a GWS midfielder would fall out given cap issues this year.

Cotchin’s injury and Prestia’s concussion against Geelong was a glimpse to the future and yet Liam Baker’s exquisite second half led to the game of the year.

But with Prestia 30 in October, Richmond surely is in the perfect position to hand over early picks for a player like Taranto.

He is in the right age bracket (24), he can play inside mid and resting forward, he is a brilliant young kid and he will fit in perfectly with the emerging youngsters in Shai Bolton, Noah Balta, Josh Gibcus, Maurice Rioli and Hugo Ralphsmith.

If not him, which other established mid will the Tigers consider?

So a team which has won three flags since 2017 could add a player of that calibre and further gap the Roos, a team deserving of a priority pick but no certainty to get one.
We can only dream. Taranto would be perfect for us, sadly don't see it happening though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back