List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So TT been great so unlikely to see a massive increase and hoppers been injured . Injuries don’t get less as they get older . So their actual output is likely to decline by the time they are 3-4 years into their new contract .
So why have GWS been s**t in the midfield with such midfield guns ?

In 2019 when GWS made a Grand Final Hopper played 23 games, averaged 26 touches and 6.2 clearances. TT averaged 27 touches and 5.3 clearances. TT won the B&F as a 20yo with 222 votes. Hopper came third as a 21yo on 218 votes.

GWS made a Grand Final with those 2 key midfield players.

They got great opportunity in midfield as Ward missed the whole season with an ACL. Coniglio played only 15 games. Tom Green had yet to arrive.

So Ward can’t play anywhere else so has taken a permanent midfield spot. Tom Green can only
play midfield. Coniglio has been tried elsewhere but is showing as a pure mid. Josh Kelly can’t play anywhere else but mid. DeBoer was often played as a tagger in the midfield.

As Taranto is capable of playing forward he was first out of the midfield when Toby Greene was injured. Hopper had injuries this year but made the AA squad in 2021 so had an outstanding year.

At Richmond these 2 will do what they did in 2019
which was play permanent midfield. They will thrive in their best positions at a club that will get the best out of them with a team first ethos.

Don’t worry … TT and Hopper are excellent pure midfielders and will improve our team no end. They will not be Hannebery, B Crouch, Shiel, Tim Kelly or any other disappointing recruit you care to mention.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My concern about Prestia was injury and whether getting a player in that was injury prone would have a detrimental affect on the list , longer term . IIRC the player being bandied around at the time we’d miss out on was Will brodie . If reading s**t correctly Brodie averaged more clearances then either of TT and Hopper , but so did Prestia and Cotchin .
The premiership’s won with Prestia in them suggests my concern about his injury and worth was wrong , which I am happy to admit. No one will ever know if we would have won without.

If you watch just the 2019 PF again you will see to an absolute certainty we don’t win that flag without Prestia.

The Taranto & Hopper moves make me feel quite uneasy. Their trade cost more than their contracts concern me. This all feels a bit like 83 Richmond, swinging their dicks to try and get back to the top quicker. Yes getting both while retaining our starting 22 makes us a much better team & more of a chance of winning the lot, but surely this will cost us a minimum of 2 years on the draft. Can't see us having any 1st rounder for 2 years & probably lucky to have a 2nd.

Its very hard to gauge our season so close to the wound. Yes, there were moments when i thought we looked very good, but we never looked like we were definitely going to win either. We always looked like we could lose a game in 10 minutes of stupidity. It was either that, or the AFL rooting us with umpiring etc. I am not sure how getting Taranto & Hopper changes all that. I was very comfortable us rebuilding - instead it seems like we are going to retool & tbh i doubt we have the substance.

My other concern is that GWS players have a pretty checkered past of big-name recruits working out at other clubs. Dylan Shiel, Zac Williams, Treloar, Devin Smith all underwhelmed especially in the scope of 7 year contracts. There are a lot of others that play or have played for Carlton that have taken just as long to start showing something decent. Statistically, you would think both are a 50/50 chance of meetings or surpassing expectations

I think i would be more comfortable with us sticking with the draft and continuing to sell players for more picks & picking a more elite talent to replace Dusty down the track.

The one thing we really lacked this year was a elite young talent we could get behind - Taranto & Hopper are not Elite.

Last edited:
Whateley is a good host and commentator; his opinions are generally ok.

He is a smart and articulate guy but he’s made his choice. He’s elected to be connected but timid. He’s no longer a journalist; no longer holds power to account. No longer asks tough questions.

He’d rather have the cache of Buckley, Scott, Malcolm Speed and other prominent people as regular guests on his program than challenge them and risk losing their support.

Still can’t believe how he let Buckley waffle on while justifying the Treloar shafting. He’s admitted publicly that Treloar’s mental health was potentially a problem for Collingwood and also told Treloar that his teammates didn’t like him.

Whateley didn’t press him on any of this poor behaviour. He basically sat back and basked in the glory of having the exclusive first interview after all the Collingwood off season drama.

Also, on another matter: I would love to know how it transpired that Mick Warner got replaced by Mark Robinson on 3AW’s Friday night footy coverage.
mick warners book pissed a lot of people from the afl off thats why

With Warner I think you’ll find his book “The Boys Club” wasn’t appreciated at AFL house. Just my take - but he has been shunted to the arse end of news Corp. AFL don’t love relevant and meaningful criticism, just want us s**t talking the MRO and umpires.
No doubt all true but Warner was a thorn in the AFL’s side on 3AW for years. I guess the book changed all that.

But I would love to know how it happened. Who said what to whom as they say. I’d think that 9 media would be less likely to buckle to the AFL. Maybe Friday night footy is produced by Croc media and they caved, I don’t know, but Warner’s contribution was always enjoyed by his colleagues and I’d love to know how the firing took place.

There’s plenty of billionaires out there, shame one of them couldn’t risk a bit of their cash to provide us with some with fearless broadcasting.

A guy like Mick Warner should have an outlet for what he knows. I’m not talking about a place for nut jobs and conspiracy theorists. Proper balanced, truthful reporting and commentary that has a licence to upset whoever they like if the story is true.

The AFL for its own good should be held to account, not pandered to by silenced sycophants.

If Dusty does not request a trade and remains at Richmond, then Sam MacLure needs to issue a public apology. He has been so adamant there’s something happening and Dusty is going, even tonight saying “We don’t know what we don’t know”, he indicates he has inside knowledge about something being at play behind the scenes.

This is despite Hardwick categorically saying on AFL360 he is committed and he is staying. When pressed on if he’s spoken to him about his commitment, Hardwick said “I don’t need to. He’s contracted to Richmond for 2 more years and he’s not going anywhere”.

MacLure must be very confident in his sources and info to keep banging on about it in the face of obstacles that seem insurmountable… how or why would any club in their right mind give up quality draft picks and $1.3m of salary for a 32yo with recent injury troubles and mental health concerns?

MacLure may end up looking like a genius here and if Dusty requests a trade I’ll be impressed with his journalism. But if he doesn’t, he needs to be held to account and not get away with “It was a live option and Dusty was open to a move but in the end fell over due to salary cap constraints”… if he doesn’t leave and we hear those words or similar come from the likes of MacLure, Barrett or any other journo cretin we need to hold them to account.

The Taranto & Hopper moves make me feel quite uneasy. Their trade cost more than their contracts concern me. This all feels a bit like 83 Richmond, swinging their dicks to try and get back to the top quicker. Yes getting both while retaining our starting 22 makes us a much better team & more of a chance of winning the lot, but surely this will cost us a minimum of 2 years on the draft. Can't see us having any 1st rounder for 2 years & probably lucky to have a 2nd.

Its very hard to gauge our season so close to the wound. Yes, there were moments when i thought we looked very good, but we never looked like we were definitely going to win either. We always looked like we could lose a game in 10 minutes of stupidity. It was either that, or the AFL rooting us with umpiring etc. I am not sure how getting Taranto & Hopper changes all that. I was very comfortable us rebuilding - instead it seems like we are going to retool & tbh i doubt we have the substance.

My other concern is that GWS players have a pretty checkered past of big-name recruits working out at other clubs. Dylan Shiel, Zac Williams, Treloar, Devin Smith all underwhelmed especially in the scope of 7 year contracts. There are a lot of others that play or have played for Carlton that have taken just as long to start showing something decent. Statistically, you would think both are a 50/50 chance of meetings or surpassing expectations

I think i would be more comfortable with us sticking with the draft and continuing to sell players for more picks & picking a more elite talent to replace Dusty down the track.

The one thing we really lacked this year was a elite young talent we could get behind - Taranto & Hopper are not Elite.
Phew, I’ll let Blair know the deals are off

Just a few things id like to put down here that i am reading thats making me laugh and amazes me at the same time to try and give some perspective in this situation and what will might and can happen.

* Cant believe the names of our players being mentioned as trade and possible trade , Balta , Short , Baker , Graham. Are you guys for real ?
We have gone out of our way to keep these players at Richmond and have no intentions to turf them out like we are playing super coach and they have not scored last week and we have enough trades. None of these boys should be traded and wont be.

* GWS Cannot afford players that are currently on $400k a year and they are $1.5 over the cap already with another 6-7 players lining up for pay rises so none of our decent players will be any good even if these players wanted or accepted to move anyway

* Only way a player goes to GWS is if they are cheap (under $200k) so that may mean we pay the difference if that player excepts to leave and apart from Aarts , Soldo , RCD , Stack , Castagna none of the other players should even be considered

* The media has started their reporting about "How will Richmond do this trade" GWS will want X Y Z and double that for both players
Fact is these 2 boys want to leave and will select their club of choice and if its Richmond it will get done and we have enough picks to get it done

* GWS Need and have to sort out their cap problems , Hill & Bruhn will not be the amounts that save them , They need to atleast get rid of 1 of Tarantino and probably Hopper also so will take what they are given provided its reasonable #12+#19+#30+F1 thats alot of trade assets to play with with both clubs not so happy but can live with and will get the deal done easily. - BUT Richmond will be looking to save 1 of #19 / #30 to use but if not will get a later pick back to use.

I wouldnt mind paying some of Castagna , Aarts , Soldo , RCD Salary if we could save pick #19 from being included if they are happy to take 1 of these players with Salary paid

Is Graham really that untouchable ?Has been dropped to the VFL nearly every season he has ever played. He was available for selection and not picked in a game where Lachie Neale has 265 touches. Despite that obvious match up option, Dimma chose to not even name him as a sub

Sure the GWS has cap restraints, but it doesn't mean they all of a sudden piss their pants over Castagna, Aarts, RCD, Soldo.

Sure they need to sort out their cap problem, but that is not going to mean we save a dime on the trade. We clearly want them & i don't think the club had patience. I would not bank on us winning a game of chicken with an actual chicken right now.

If we make the trade, it definitely means that we will have next to no presence in 2 years of the draft & no cap space to poach a free agent. The team we have next year will basically be the team we have in 2025. So if by round 10 we are 3-7, that is where we are at till 2025 most likely.

By 2025 we will need to have replaced Cotchin, Riewoldt, Grimes, Caddy, Tarrant, Edwards, Lambert, Dusty, Prestia... Pickett, Broad, Lynch will also all be 33.
If we trade out half of our 1st & 2nd rounder selections between now and 2025 for 2 players who most likely represent the on field value of Lambert & a player somewhere between Prestia & Pickett.... we are only going to leave ourselves our latter 2 year 1st and 2nd round picks to replace the most valuable players - Dusty, Cotchin, Prestia, Riewoldt, Lynch, Grimes. I doubt we win a flag between now and 2025 with this team + Taranto & Hopper & i think without those players listed we will not have anywhere near enough elite talent to be a threat. Essentially, we will be St Kilda.

I normally love a big audacious trade, but i really think this risk is too high here, purely because i think the draft and contract money will give us no moves at all moving forward if things don't work out

Last edited:
Sonsie will play IMO, even with Hopper and Taranto coming in. I’m struggling to see where short fits in. Rioli has taken his spot down back, Baker seems preferred as the 7th defender.

I’ve thought for a while he should be developed as a wing, but we prefer to play guys a bit taller who don’t get out marked.
jack graham is nowhere near anyone best 22 from what im lookin at so far :oops:

Since Kingsley would be well aware of our developing players, I’m thinking that maybe Ryan will

The one thing we really lacked this year was an elite young talent we could get behind - Taranto & Hopper are not Elite.
come on, in 2017 we recruited Nank, Prestia and Caddy to fill certain holes. We won the GF.

In 2018 we recruited Lynch to fill a hole. We won 2 more.

Now we are lacking midfield defence. Looks like we may recruit to fill that hole. We loaded up on the draft last year. We don’t need to go back this year.

Phew, I’ll let Blair know the deals are off

Well its just my shitty opinion like everyone else's - but trading in TWO mids from the same 16th placed team & expecting them to rise you from 7th to 1st seems a bit ambitious.

Also, what the **** happened to Tom Green? Were we not getting Tom Green? His Grandpa played for Richmond, donchyano? Or is our midfield plan to recreate the powerhouse midfield which was the 16th placed Giants?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since Kingsley would be well aware of our developing players, I’m thinking that maybe Ryan will

come on, in 2017 we recruited Nank, Prestia and Caddy to fill certain holes. We won the GF.

In 2018 we recruited Lynch to fill a hole. We won 2 more.

Now we are lacking midfield defence. Looks like we may recruit to fill that hole. We loaded up on the draft last year. We don’t need to go back this year.

Yeah we also traded in Kane Johnson to be our "final piece". Then Stafford. Then Paul Hudson.

For everytime moves like that work ala 2017, 10 other times it doesn't work. Wasn't everyone laughing at Carlton & Cerra last year? How is this different? If anything them going after Cerra made more sense as they already had that elite young talent in Walsh, Cripps, McKay, Curnow, Weitering. For elite young talent in those area's we only have Bolton, with fingers crossed for Balta & Gibcus.

Its one thing to get 25 touches playing for the No One Cares Giants, and another to do it in Melbourne for Richmond. Remeber that spotlight Dusty & Buddy wanted to run away from? Its real. When you start your career at a club that has none of that intensity, that can become your normal. It can be very unexpected, daunting & overwhelming.

I must be watching a different game to some on here.

We have been murdered through the middle this year.
We have the shallowest midfield group in the league, and the worst thing is, our best midfielders are often unavailable
If either TT or JH played for Richmond last week, we would be getting excited about pumping Melbourne on Friday night.

Prestia/Cotchin/Martin on current averages may play 30 games total a year. This is a ripping move, and the best of all the possible options to give the current team a chance at another flag. The club took 5 youngsters last year, And 6 players had finals debuts.

Bringing in TT and JH improves our biggest weakness, to be honest it sounds too good to be true

#inblairwetrust

Well its just my shitty opinion like everyone else's - but trading in TWO mids from the same 16th placed team & expecting them to rise you from 7th to 1st seems a bit ambitious.

Also, what the * happened to Tom Green? Were we not getting Tom Green? His Grandpa played for Richmond, donchyano? Or is our midfield plan to recreate the powerhouse midfield which was the 16th placed Giants?
Hopper only played 7 games this year. Taranto also missed 6 games and also had to play forward for 6 to cover Toby's suspension. Maybe that's a part reason why they finished 16th.

The club’s done ok with the trades in the last years. Prestia, Lynch, Caddy, Nank, Houli, Grigg were all hits out of the park. Even Ivan Maric has proven an astute pickup in terms of the clubs development. I will back them in re: Taranto and Hopper

We have the shallowest midfield group in the league, and the worst thing is, our best midfielders are often unavailable
If either TT or JH played for Richmond last week, we would be getting excited about pumping Melbourne on Friday night.

Prestia/Cotchin/Martin on current averages may play 30 games total a year. This is a ripping move, and the best of all the possible options to give the current team a chance at another flag. The club took 5 youngsters last year, And 6 players had finals debuts.

Bringing in TT and JH improves our biggest weakness, to be honest it sounds too good to be true

#inblairwetrust
Come on mate, no one here wants to win flags. We’ve had an arseful of flags recently

Yeah we also traded in Kane Johnson to be our "final piece". Then Stafford. Then Paul Hudson.

For everytime moves like that work ala 2017, 10 other times it doesn't work. Wasn't everyone laughing at Carlton & Cerra last year? How is this different? If anything them going after Cerra made more sense as they already had that elite young talent in Walsh, Cripps, McKay, Curnow, Weitering. For elite young talent in those area's we only have Bolton, with fingers crossed for Balta & Gibcus.

Its one thing to get 25 touches playing for the No One Cares Giants, and another to do it in Melbourne for Richmond. Remeber that spotlight Dusty & Buddy wanted to run away from? Its real. When you start your career at a club that has none of that intensity, that can become your normal. It can be very unexpected, daunting & overwhelming.
Shouldn't we be making sure TT and JH are in stable relationships? After all, if they happen to split with their partners then we would have to trade them out?

You still think Dimma needs to be sacked because he got a divorce?

Yeah, I'll back Blair Hartley over you Karen.

Is Graham really that untouchable ?Has been dropped to the VFL nearly every season he has ever played. He was available for selection and not picked in a game where Lachie Neale has 265 touches. Despite that obvious match up option, Dimma chose to not even name him as a sub

Sure the GWS has cap restraints, but it doesn't mean they all of a sudden piss their pants over Castagna, Aarts, RCD, Soldo.

Sure they need to sort out their cap problem, but that is not going to mean we save a dime on the trade. We clearly want them & i don't think the club had patience. I would not bank on us winning a game of chicken with an actual chicken right now.

If we make the trade, it definitely means that we will have next to no presence in 2 years of the draft & no cap space to poach a free agent. The team we have next year will basically be the team we have in 2025. So if by round 10 we are 3-7, that is where we are at till 2025 most likely.

By 2025 we will need to have replaced Cotchin, Riewoldt, Grimes, Caddy, Tarrant, Edwards, Lambert, Dusty, Prestia... Pickett, Broad, Lynch will also all be 33.
If we trade out half of our 1st & 2nd rounder selections between now and 2025 for 2 players who most likely represent the on field value of Lambert & a player somewhere between Prestia & Pickett.... we are only going to leave ourselves our latter 2 year 1st and 2nd round picks to replace the most valuable players - Dusty, Cotchin, Prestia, Riewoldt, Lynch, Grimes. I doubt we win a flag between now and 2025 with this team + Taranto & Hopper & i think without those players listed we will not have anywhere near enough elite talent to be a threat. Essentially, we will be St Kilda.

I normally love a big audacious trade, but i really think this risk is too high here, purely because i think the draft and contract money will give us no moves at all moving forward if things don't work out

Yeah, I prefer a measured, balance foray with value a focus.

Going all in like flynn is a little reckless and we do not want to end up like Collingwood. Not sure how we pay for this?

I think some of out opposition clubs are smiling with amusement because if we are not winning flags we f... up

#inblairwetrust

Ignoring our defensive problems?

Not sure what you dont really understand , You claim half our picks until 2025 Really ???
Even the worst case scenario its 12+19+30+F1 for these 2 boys then something will come back later

But you are getting 2 very high quality players that are 24 & 25 years of age with 7-8 years of top football guaranteed compared to
3 kids in the 13-20 range and 1 kid around pick #33

I would say you would be extremely lucky to get even just 1 player thats anywhere near the level of these 2 kids with the 3 picks and just about 10% chance to get a 50 game player with a pick after 33 and most likely the same level player at 45

Now what i want you to do is make a list of all our picks we have since 2021-2025 and see if its still half the picks
maybe look at this in its entirety

Short is a better player than B Ellis. Let me adjust the discussion …. I realise there are positional restrictions, but in 2023 who could you say without any dispute is a BETTER player than Short, assuming full fitness and taking into account age … not in any order.

Prestia
Lynch
Dusty
Grimes
Vlastuin
D Rioli
TT
Hopper
Nank
Bolton
Balta

You could debate a few either way (Baker, Cotch etc…), but if ranking our list - if we get TT and Hopper - I have Short somewhere 12-14th on our list.

IMO he’ll be nowhere near a fringe player in 2023.

In the 2019-20 flags our backline had Baker, Houli and Short. Why can’t our future backline have Baker, Rioli and Short?

You can’t just “adjust” the conversation that way. He has only so many spots he can compete for.

Think of it like having your 4th/5th ruckman on the list and saying well he’s the 15th best player but we’ve got 3 better ones so we will keep him on at 600k to play VFL?

As for Ellis vs Short talent wisewas not the comparison, it was situation comparison. Both are AFL level footballers but our depth in the positions they can/could play is great, and they were pushed from starter by the shorts, Pickett’s and bakers to first replacement. That’s a great thing to have but not at Ellis’ salary and certainly not at Shorts salary, the salary cap just doesn’t allow you to do that for very long.

Yes I know there are injuries but again how much of your cap can you use on depth. As a nba fan to me it’s like paying a bench player starter salary.

I have short borderline best 22 (cotch as well) in the situation we sign Taranto and Hopper.

B Broad Tarrant Grimes
HB Vlastuin Balta Rioli
C Pickett Prestia McIntosh
HF Martin Riewoldt Bolton
FF Rioli Lynch Cumberland
Foll Nank Taranto Hopper

Bench Baker Miller

And then I’d have Cotch, Short, Graham, Sonsie, Gibcus, Ross, Stack and Ralphsmith fighting it out for those 2 spots.

Salary wise he and Graham stand out in that list at probably 600k and 450k respectively. On 350-450k short looks a lot better to me, at 600k he’s tradable and it might even suit him like Ellis to get guaranteed game time.

Anyway he won’t get trade this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back