List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trading between Richmond & GWS was very respectful with no bulltish attached
We had the right picks of fair value and they were put foward from the start and the deals were done in good faith with both clubs knowing exactly what the deal would be done for.

Only reason they were split was so the F1 was not exposed to other trades whilst they traded for #1 this year

After this year's trade period, we now know why Gibcus played the whole year. While we nearly snagged at least a Prelim this year, clearly the plan all along was to prepare the team for 2023.

Did we not debut more players than any other team this year?

I'm feeling that 2023 might be special.

Geelong has been 10/10 for the last five years.

They have consistently been the best traders especially with Gold Coast.

Why are they so special??

Nah, 9/10 this year at best, we actually did better than them. They naturally do well because of culture, falcons factory links and location factors, two of which are unique in the competition. But their fall is not far away, we are far better placed than them going forward in the medium term.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m not trying to say I’m some sort of oracle but I am… I predicted the unbeaten run in 2014 (albeit a few weeks early) and I put a decent bet on us in 2017 knowing we were already a very strong team who had bad luck in 2016 but addressed our major issues in the off-season.

Now I’m not trying to blow my own trumpet (still got ribs) but we were by far the best team outside of the midfield this year. Highest scoring despite the vast number of personnel changes. Our midfield was pretty bloody terrible, with Prestia the exception. Now take that team which was carrying the legend Edwards and add Taranto, Hopper and a fit and firing Dusty. A bit more experience for those younger blokes too but who’s counting…

Anyways, we’ll romp it in in 2023, any expert saying otherwise has NFI.

They paid about the same. Hopper is actually the better player we got him cheap.
Pretty sure it was always a 2 player deal. The only question was what was coming back our way (picks) from GWS at the end.

Clearly Soldo was an extra option that would have required either drop pick 31 from the deal, or higher picks coming back.

Hence Dimma was just chilling in Thailand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While your rite it appears the Cats have been able to convince their players to take unders to achieve the big prize. We have also been able to do the same but from the outside I would say at nowhere near the same level thus allowing the cats to gain a considerable advantage. We may win the big one next year but going forward the Cats will be a contender for years to come as we loose much of our core such as Cotchin, Jack, Grimes, Pickett, Tarrant, Broad and Martin etc

Gone from their Premiership team in 1-3 x seasons - age at start of 2023 season:

Stanley: 32yo
Tuohy: 33
Smith : 34
Selwood : Retired
Duncan: 31
Rohan: 31
Hawkins: 34
Danger: 33
Blicavs: 32

Then there’s Cameron, Stewart and Guthrie who will be 30yo.

Then depth players waiting in the wings:

Menegola: 31
Ceglar: 32

So do they really have 10-12 players who didn’t play in the GF ready to take the reigns in 2-3 x years? Who are they?

Holmes : yes
Ollie Henry: yes
Bruhn: yes
Bowes: likely

Loads of question marks on their long-term future.

Compare that to players Richmond have retiring from our EF losing team:

Dusty: 31
Tarrant: 33
Riewoldt: 34
Cotchin: 33
Picket: 31
Edwards: retired

Then Grimes 31yo (didn’t play) and Prestia, Broad and Lynch 30yo.

How do we replace those 7-10 players in 2-3 years with players on our list?:

Graham
Hopper
Taranto
Soldo
Ralphsmith

I’d also argue we have more promising youngsters in place but I won’t include those.

So we are losing 2-3 less players due to ‘old age’ in the next few seasons, and have much higher quality replacements on our list to replace them.

So not sure if we are better placed in 2023, but I’m certain we will be better placed 2024 onwards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So what’s the deal now? Do we have to use the 2 picks we got in the draft this year?
How many list spots have we got?

All I really care is there a spot to put Stack on the senior list or not?

The last Question Blair was asked was about RCD and Stack. By the sound of things…. Not looking good for a few.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You’ve made a big step down here from claiming:

"So far he has struggled massively against any decent ruck at VFL level”

To now claiming many of the better VFL rucks are no good.

The games you have quoted include the one against Melbourne where Ryan played well beside the free kicks against, which is all part of learning for a 21yo v a 30yo. Ryan had 15 disposals and 44 hitouts in that match. Daw had 11 disposals and 31 hitouts. He wasn’t totally dominated by Phillips either, another 30 odd yo., Phillips has only had 23 hitouts and 14 disposals in that. Ryan scored 1.2 in that game so was clearly forward at times.

I am happy to stick with my statement that you have challenged here - that Ryan definitely DID NOT struggle massively with any decent VFL ruck. He was at least competitive in any game and if he had 1-2 off games it can always be down to copping a knock. No ruckman has totally dominated Ryan, that is the way I recall it and the stats seem to bear that out.

For a 21yo 2 years in the system who was a low 40’s pick in a weak draft, I can’t see how the club would be anything other than very comfortable with Ryan’s development. He should only get much better and is 2-3 years off entering his prime as a ruckman, and they tend to improve all the way up to and sometimes past 30 years of age. Not sure how many rucks his age or younger are tracking better than him on the AFL scene. Jackson, and…?

It's all relevant. Players like Downie and Briggs are terrible ruckmen as noted by the fact Mumford had to come out of retirement twice as neither player come close to making it at GWS. Ryan if he is AFL level needs to be completely dominating these guys both around the ground and in the ruck. I personally don't expect him to be in his second season at the age of 21 but I'm not the idiot trying to convince people he should be in our 22 based on what he showed this season. He is a potential option if he continues to develop but based on what he has showed at VFL level the step will be far too great.

No Ryan didn't play well against Melbourne. You can't give the opposition the ball 7 times from free kicks alone and say he played well. He has 12cm's on Daw and managed only 13 more hitouts. Daw another player who spent over 10 seasons on an AFL list and managed less than 100 games (53 in total).

How low of a bar do you want to set? So he was competitive against bog average rucks who didn't make it in the AFL system. Use your brain and apply some context to what is being said.

Completely irrelevant to what is being said. The discussion was in relation to needing KPP depth and Ryan not being the answer at this point in time. Where he is in his development and how he is tracking to potentially be our no.1 ruck in 2-3 years time is not one bit relevant to our team in 2023.

Hawks only got Meek, Cooper Stepehns and a couple of s**t picks for Mitchell and O'Meara?

Wtf are they doing

They did the right thing. Get 2 x decent picks for JOM and Mitchell now and clear cap space by not having to pay them 2024 onwards .…. they’re worthless after next season.

So get some more kids and launch into some free agents with huge cap space in 2-3 years time.

They should have off-loaded them 2 x seasons ago when they would have gotten top-15 picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

After this year's trade period, we now know why Gibcus played the whole year. While we nearly snagged at least a Prelim this year, clearly the plan all along was to prepare the team for 2023.

Did we not debut more players than any other team this year?

I'm feeling that 2023 might be special.
we'll go undefeated,hardest game will be the Scums GF Rd.1,the scum spending 26 weeks preparing & plotting wot to do with the 10 x 50mtr penalties they get from the maggots

Watch his games from the start of the year. Was being tossed around like a child.

Thats for proving my point. Minus Sinclair who was finished this season all those guys are ******* useless. Campbell the best of the lot has played 56 AFL games in 10 years as a 21 year old recruit. At best you could argue he has broken even with those guys. I wouldn't call any of those guys dominant ruck, the fact Downie was AA ruck tells me everything I need to know. Feel sorry for Williamstown going from Nick Messe to him and Im sure there supporters do too.

The closest AFL standard ruck and back up at that was Andrew Phillips who he managed 10 hitouts against. The step up from Phillips to good AFL ruckmen is massive. He lost the hit out battle and gave away 7 free kicks to Majak Daw... you get the point.
Wrong again. All those guys have played AFL football and are a few of the better rucks in the vfl. You said he struggled against the better vfl rucks then say beating one of the vfl team of the year rucks in Downie proves your point :drunk:

Samson did a great job to compete and break even at the very least with them as a 2nd year beanpole.

2nd year developing ruckman gives away a bunch of free kicks to a ruck thats been in the afl system for 12 years....what a shock :rolleyes:

And Philips had a huge 13 more hitouts and 4 touches (2 less scoring shots) against a bloke playing his 15th vfl game....on the MCG in his 11th season on an AFL list.

So what’s the deal now? Do we have to use the 2 picks we got in the draft this year?
How many list spots have we got?

All I really care is there a spot to put Stack on the senior list or not?
Hopefully not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back