Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rioli trade rumour to GC has been called out as BS

Gold Coast has not touched base with Richmond regarding Daniel Rioli.

A Herald Sun report surfaced earlier in the week suggesting the Suns were prepared to give up two first-round draft selections for the three-time premiership Tiger.

Gold Coast’s GM of football performance Wayne Campbell has played down the talk, confirming the Suns have not even spoken with the Tigers.

Asked if that report was accurate, Campbell was succinct with his reply.

“No, no, no, no,” the former Richmond captain said on SEN’s Sportsday.

“I’ve been at the Giants and the Suns where players get talked about when they’re in your colours so I think that’s a bit unsavoury to talk about players from other clubs. Especially when they’re contracted for a couple of years.

“What I can assure you is that we haven’t offered Richmond two first-round picks for Daniel Rioli.

“There’s been no discussion with Richmond on it.”

Rioli, 27, is contracted with Richmond until 2027. He has a close relationship with Suns coach Damien Hardwick and reportedly caught up with Richmond’s premiership mastermind on the Gold Coast in April.

He is putting together another strong season as a dashing half-back, averaging 383 metres gained, 21.4 disposals and 4.7 rebound 50s.

In 2024, Rioli leads the Tigers for total disposals, is second for tackles and rebound 50s and third for metres gained.

Das thinks Richmond's ideal draft haul is:
2 Jagga Smith
8 Harry O'Farrell or Matt Whitlock
20 Tobie Travaglia
22 Zack Johnson or Langford or Hines or Tom Gross

A Herald Sun report surfaced earlier in the week suggesting the Suns were prepared to give up two first-round draft selections for the three-time premiership Tiger.

Gold Coast’s GM of football performance Wayne Campbell has played down the talk, confirming the Suns have not even spoken with the Tigers.

“I’ve been at the Giants and the Suns where players get talked about when they’re in your colours so I think that’s a bit unsavoury to talk about players from other clubs. Especially when they’re contracted for a couple of years.

“What I can assure you is that we haven’t offered Richmond two first-round picks for Daniel Rioli.

Rioli, 27, is contracted with Richmond until 2027. He has a close relationship with Suns coach Damien Hardwick and reportedly caught up with Richmond’s premiership mastermind on the Gold Coast in April.

He is putting together another strong season as a dashing half-back, averaging 383 metres gained, 21.4 disposals and 4.7 rebound 50s.

In 2024, Rioli leads the Tigers for total disposals, is second for tackles and rebound 50s and third for metres gained.

No but they’ve spoken to his manager 4 or 5 times and Dimma has spoken to Daniel twice at least. Don’t BS Wayne

I have heard this no leverage quote many time

Maybe these e girls supporters should go read the Callum Coleman Jones thread
You always hear this and it very rarely happens. Also importantly WC are no longer on the bottom of the ladder so there is a risk that Baker may not end up at WC.

If they think "Another club won't pick him up if he doesn't want to be there." I say "how did that work out for Nick Stevens?" He wanted to go to Collingwood, but ended up at Carlton.

Both Richmond and the Kangaroos have plenty of salary cap space, and there is really nothing to lose for either of us to pick him up in the PSD.

There needs to be repercussions for Journos making up crap. They just flat out lied that GC offered picks for Rioli.

There needs to be repercussions for Journos making up crap. They just flat out lied that GC offered picks for Rioli.
Campbell chooses his words carefully. Definitely seems like they are targeting Dan. Reckon that 2 x firsts is maybe GC internally what their final position will be, not an opening offer.

Want to see more of Lalor but he looks exactly what you want from your top pick.

Faull probably goes 15-25 with all the good mids in this draft.

don't think we need to do anything special here to land them.
I hope so, Lalor looks very good, best highlights I have seen thus far. There's a bit of Dusty about him, and not just the no.4.

it just says there's been no discussion with richmond, at least the quoted text only says that

i also don't doubt there's been no real talk in regards to what picks would be used, that is most likely just guess work & talking to random "insiders" (if even) about what he'd be worth, and if i'm being honest, 2 "first rounders" is probably crazy talk for rioli (i know one of them was said to be pick 20). unless of course the other first pick was closer to 20, then i could see 2 being traded

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like we will likely have 1, 7, 20, 21 at this point. No idea what we will get for Baker if he even leaves given the 2 clubs have vastly different things to offer.

Should be able to get 2 quality mids (FOS/Smillie/Lalor & ??) , 1 KPF (Sims or Faull) and a small forward (Kako, Berry or Champion) out of that haul.

Possibility we get Brisbane's pick as well now that they're rising up the ladder. Maybe we look at Dodson the ruck as well or take a punt on Hotton.
We should trade our 2025 1st for roos 1st pick 2024

Imagine the oppo melting if Richmond gets picks 7 and 20 for Rioli …. they’ll lose their minds…. I can’t wait !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
7/8 and 20 for Dan Rioli and his salary - that makes sense. Both teams win (hopefully)

Balta's best football is arguably on-ball, as a ruckman. If allowed to play there more who knows what he could be. Have a look at his game against Essendon in 2019 - his ninth ever game, aged 19. Sharing the ruck with Callum Coleman-Jones he had 16 contested possessions and 7 clearances.
Don't forget the '20 GF. Woefully underutilised in the ruck IMO - usually changes the game when he goes there...

Don't forget the '20 GF. Woefully underutilised in the ruck IMO - usually changes the game when he goes there...
Its why Yze was determined to play him forward / ruck.

He's every bit as good as Jackson in that role IMO, we just haven't had the luxury

Back