Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I see the less I like - think everyone is so enamoured by Fyfe/Cripps/Bont/Green KPP sized mids these days but he looks more like the type of high risk/high reward player you take with a late first or a second after all the safer bets are gone than a typical top 2 pick...a boom or bust that could be Cripps or RCD but most likely something not nearly as good as the former but not as bad as the latter....
feel like that reasoning was why Cripps dropped in the draft ranking

Seriously which club is dropping coin on Josh Battle???

Gold Coast currently have plenty of points for matching - but they have basically 3 first rounders, and 2 2nd rounders meaning they need to get creative to be able to use their junk points for matching

If they do nothing:
they lose the first of those and continue with the rest of their picks.
They'll get Lombard (matching with ~8), then picks roughly 10, 20, 26, 30. Which isn't too bad at all for a default position.

Alternative Plan
Step 1: Trade their picks 8 & 10, for pick 1 or 2 from us (or whoever) to get ahead of the Lombard bid.

Step 2: Then need to hide picks 20 & 26 by trading them out before the bid, then trading something similar back in afterwards.
So, they trade picks 20 & 26 to us for say our future 4th and almost 1000 points worth of our current 4th rounders before the bid, then use 30 + other junk for matching, then after matching we trade our picks 22 & 32 to them for their future 2nd.

They then get Smilie/FOS/Smith/Draper/Trainor, Lombard, pick 22, pick 32 and a downgrade of futures from 2nd round to our 4th.

We get pick 8, 10, 20, 26 instead of 2, 22, 32 plus a 2025 upgrade from 4th to 2nd round. Could maybe nab their pick 30 as well.

The problem with this is that the step 1 drop from pick 2 to pick 8 is not good for us or anyone else except maybe WC.
In this draft, we should only consider splitting pick 2 for pick 3 or 4, maybe 5 unless really juicy extras are included.
Possibly GC could swap picks 8 & 10 for pick 3 from West Coast and bank on no bid for Lombard coming at pick 1 or 2. We could pinky promise not to bid due to our involvement in step 2 but would North?
This might work for West Coast if they prefer Bo Allan (still likely available at pick 8) and pick 10 over whoever is likely available at pick 3.

Step 2 works well for us, but it's pointless for Gold Coast unless they can complete step 1 - which probably needs them throwing in a future first or a decent player and might end up just not worth it for them.
If some other club does step 1 we would still go to draft with picks 2, 20, 26, 30 and a 2025 upgrade.

Last edited:
The more I see the less I like - think everyone is so enamoured by Fyfe/Cripps/Bont/Green KPP sized mids these days but he looks more like the type of high risk/high reward player you take with a late first or a second after all the safer bets are gone than a typical top 2 pick... a boom or bust that could either be another Cripps or another RCD....
he is not a RCD because he moves better and is far more inside, he is also taller meaning he could handle a high CHF or leading type, and taller with a bit of bulk about him and not afraid to throw his weight around a little in the contest

The fact is until we get these new talents in it is hard for RFC to rise up and challenge so we need to make hay while the sun shines for a for years before we develop and explode upwards, he takes shorter steps than RCD making him more nimble, lol.

He is actually a safe pick because you could find a role somewhere for him, the thing is he may not be a superstar but he is highly unlikely to challenge the likes of Reid. He simply does not have the x-factor of Reid, obviously lacks a jump of significance, probably not near as quick and the brilliance and power of Reid

He looks a bit like Josh Weddle except more experienced in the guts, taller and maybe more poise. No player is the same but he has interesting traits. He is not Green, not Fyfe, not Bont, not Cripps but has his own traits which make him a interesting fit. He has a bit of JHF about him, in the way he moves, without the explosion and probably less groundball being taller.

If we got him. one else would have him because guys like these do not grow on trees and are fairly unique

Last edited:
If there are no standouts in the top 5, why would a club who has a pick in the top 5 give us two picks and hamstring themselves for pick 1. Doesn't make sense.
The Suns would want to get a free hit before the bid on Lombard.

Twomey reckons nearly all club recruiters have told him it's between FOS and Smillie and one or two said Trainor.
Didn’t he also mention Lalor? Blues partner was listening to it and I thought I heard him say between FOS and Smilie for number 1 and Trainor and Lalor close. Said first 2 were a cut above the rest but still time for others to rise.

Didn’t he also mention Lalor? Blues partner was listening to it and I thought I heard him say between FOS and Smilie for number 1 and Trainor and Lalor close. Said first 2 were a cut above the rest but still time for others to rise.
Jagga was the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said Lalor will rise into top 4 calculations I think.

I’ve been in the recruiting game since 2001, other than the super draft I can’t remember a deeper draft of highly talented (high percentage AFL grade talent) players.

For those saying it’s a weak draft. It isn’t. It’s a bloody strong draft.

For those saying it lacks top end talent, it doesn’t. People blinded by one draft where Harley Reid was outspoken number one. Even now though, you are seeing the others were top liners as well and past drafts there was always discussion about who is the number one pick and three or four were mentioned. Like this year.

As I’ve maintained, it will sort itself out. FOS if he gets a good run will show he’s clear number one. That’s my opinion. But Smilie, Jagga, Lalor, Reid, Draper, Lombard, Trainor will all enhance their reputations.

This is the draft to start a heavy rebuild.

Looking at Lalor who has hardly played this year, he looks like he has the biggest upside out of all the players. His size, his strength and his kicking all look good. Would not be surprised at all that by the time the draft comes along he may be jostling with FOS for number 1.

Looking at Lalor who has hardly played this year, he looks like he has the biggest upside out of all the players. His size, his strength and his kicking all look good. Would not be surprised at all that by the time the draft comes along he may be jostling with FOS for number 1.

If all goes well, absolutely that’s a possibility.

Speaking of Lalor -

why are posters not happy using a second pick on Lalor if deserved??

It looks like there is a good chance we will have more than one first rounder to use

Agreed,
Shanahan has looked the best tall in the prev 2 National Championship games he’s played in. He launches at the ball in the air and is good at ground level . He can play forward or back. Just seems to have a well rounded game.
Faull is just finding his feet though, after injury, so no doubt he has plenty more upside
If only he was 5cm taller

194 seems short these days for a FF/CHF
unless he has that mongrol in him like Treacy

Collingwood? 2020 Adam Treloar? Granted they had salary cap issues.
Name a club who didn’t build a flag side through some kind of elite talent handed through FA, Father Son and draft picks?

Hawks trading a heap of shit to Fremantle to farm draft picks to build a dynasty core. I say name a post dynasty side with elite talent to trade out. We are in a unique position where we are not rebuilding without shit to trade out.

Trade period / National Draft 2024

Back