Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gosh, I normally read your posts even though I usually think you have lost the plot. This one is bordering on insane. Not even I can just scroll on without letting you know you should seek some form of help.

It turns out Taranto didn’t call a meeting at all. He called for solidarity of the playing group.

Get a grip magic.

I do have a grip. It was reported was looking to call a meeting. If the report was wrong so be it

Last edited:
FWIW, and I dont know if it means anything from a potential trade point of view, but Suns very keen on Luke Trainor, KPD.

Apparently looking at options to be able to secure Lombard and Trainor with some pick swapping as they expect a very early bid on Lombard not because of his quality, but due to Vic clubs being pissed.

I asked very specifically about DRioli and the answer was, would love him but seemed unlikely.

Edit: If they could get Jack louk to the crows, that's how they get it done, but this part is an after thought and just my opinion.

Last edited:

Lalor won't be another Dusty because no-one will be, more likely another De Goey or Petracca if we're lucky...and as much as we like to mock them as Richmond supporters you'd take that every day of the week....who wouldn't want another De Goey but a more professional, harder working, non-flog version (assuming he would be as it wouldn't be hard)?

FWIW, and I dont know if it means anything from a potential trade point of view, but Suns very keen on Luke Trainor, KPD.

Apparently looking at options to be able to secure Lombard and Trainor with some pick swapping as they expect a very early bid on Lombard not because of his quality, but due to Vic clubs being pissed.

I asked very specifically about DRioli and the answer was, would love him but seemed unlikely.

Edit: If they could get Jack louk to the crows, that's how they get it done, but this part is an after thought and just my opinion.

So many things can possibly happen.

Crows are sitting in position for pick 4, and they are a decent chance to stay there or won't slide past pick 5.

1. Crows could for example settle on a trade of pick 4 to Suns in return for Lukosius, Davies(just a wild eg of a player Suns may not need but Crows could really use) and the pick currently sitting at 20. So Suns would have the picks sitting at 4, 8 and 9 currently. Crows get 2 good young players straight into their best 22 in the midfield and forward, + the later pick.

2. Maybe that gets Suns access to Trainor before a Lombard bid but they might want to make a certainty of it by trading up further. North, who are stocked right up on young mids, may be a threat to take a player like Trainor before them.

3. So let's say North ends up 3rd bottom, Eagles 2nd bottom, Tigers bottom. They offer Eagles pick 4 and a decent player they think they won't need for pick 2. That player could be someone like Will Powell, a West Australian. Maybe even throw in 1-2 older players that might assist the Eagles with some leadership.

4. To get Rioli and avoid any implied or real threat of the Tigers upsetting their plans, they then offer Richmond picks 2, 8, 9 for pick 1 and Dan Rioli and maybe the current pick 21 back to Suns, and Rioli slots straight into their team replacing Will Powell.

Not saying I am confident that all of these trades would fully satisfy all parties, but it is the sort of complex way that something like this could come to fruition. Tigers could then potentially go to the draft with 4 rd 1 picks, probably landing around 2, 9, 10, 18 after trading the balance of the later picks for pick 18. But we would lose Dan Rioli. :(

We have seen GWS trade up for premium picks in this manner before, knowing like the Suns they have an endless stream of academy talent to come in future years.

Sitting in the outer watching the Carlton game Rioli was one of our brightest sparks so why trade him for an unknown

Dan Rioli is a tremendous player. He is contracted for a few more years. So you only agree to trade him if someone offers you a deal you couldn't realistically refuse. There is some chance Suns would do that to get him.

Sitting in the outer at the Carlton game Rioli was one of our brightest sparks so why trade him for an unknown

Dan Rioli is a tremendous player. He is contracted for a few more years. So you only agree to trade him if someone offers you a deal you couldn't realistically refuse. There is some chance Suns would do that to get him.
Probably trade in a dud and lose Maurice so no thanks

They are just being way too greedy
If they dont do a deal with us just bid on Lombard i would be more than happy to take that kid with #1 , He is a bloody gun player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never mind hes in career best form either , his numbers off HB stack up very with the best going around

They are just being way too greedy
If they dont do a deal with us just bid on Lombard i would be more than happy to take that kid with #1 , He is a bloody gun player
What if returned to GC after 3y ,,,you do NOT invest a no1 pic on an interstate player least of all some 10lb weakling , worst idea ever

If North leapfrogs WC and ends up with pick 3 I reckon they'd be pretty keen on Trainor too.

Against that we have seen Melbourne in 2013 swap picks 2 and 22 for Dom Tyson(2011 pick 3) and pick 9 and 53.

Melbourne ended up with Tyson and Salem and Jayden Hunt.

The picks they traded out ended up being Josh Kelly and Darcy Gardiner.

Melbourne had their reasons at the time but in hindsight, I think they'd have preferred Kelly or maybe a chance at the bloke who went 2 picks later at pick 4, Mr Bontempelli.

Richmond will be weighing up all the possibilities, but if you look at the history of pick 1 since 2000, and take out the guys cut down by injury, you get the following:

Guns

N Riewoldt Hodge Goddard Cooney Deledio Murphy Whitfield Weitering Walsh Rowell and almost certainly Horne-Francis and Harley Reid.

That is 12 of the 24 that were or look like being major award winning players or around that type of level.

Very good players

Scully(in the end limited by a bad injury after establishing himself as a very good player) Swallow Rayner(maybe only good rather than very good) McGrath Ugle-Hagan(fair projection)

Too early to tell

Cadman

Cut down by injuries/mental illness without a proper chance to fulfil their potential

Paton Kreuzer Boyd McCartin

Shit

Jack Watts :tearsofjoy:

It is in reality a very strong role call. Given these guys are mostly getting drafted into malfunctioning clubs, they are often starting from a handicapped position. The probability of getting a really good player is high. And that probability definitely diminishes with each descending pick, barring the odd anomaly.

What Richmond needs by far the most urgently is a line breaking mid who can do damage with his kicking. If the club is extremely confident they can get that at pick 1 I don't think they need to think any further about it, UNLESS they get an offer of 2 strong picks and they are also very confident of getting that type of player with the better of those 2 picks.

One thing is for sure, this is our most intriguing off-season for a long time, and possibly ever. The club will have so many options.

Yes, but I remember Josh Kelly was always touted as a future superstar - the trade Demons did was a shocker from the get-go.. They got a ‘promising’ player in Dom Tyson and pick 9 & 53 - Tyson at the time was perhaps equated to a pick-30 (he’d played 13-games in 2 years at GwS and hadn’t shown much) but Demons wanted immediate midfield stocks. Even if I was generous and said #15 for Tyson … So 9, 15 and 53.

I’m suggesting worst case of 5, 14 and 32. And potentially 5, 3 and 21. Chalk and cheese with the value id be requesting for #1 to entertain the idea.

Maybe I’m just gun shy as we got Lounder, Banik and Deledio (a gun but we still could have had Roughy or Buddy) as previous #1 selections ….

All depends on how the rest of this under age season plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would make sense. It’s widely known Suns want to get in before pick 5 as they believe that’s around where the Lombard bid may come. It may come sooner the way the kid is going.

That’s a good scenario for them to trade with the Crows. Crows would be mad to do that trade though.

Saints are 100% bidding on Lombard, but I wouldn’t say it’s early as lombard is a legitimate top 5 pick.

To get ahead of a Lombard bid they’ve have to trade picks 8&9, probably to north or west coast. Maybe west coast bite if they are committed to Baker or maybe North do if they want to draft a tall like Faull, Whitlock etc. Eagles did split.their pick in 2022 to move back and get WA talent, they could do the same with Bo Allen, especially since all the top guys are Victorian and they already have to fend off rivals poaching Harley

Then the suns would need to find more points and probably trade pick 20 for a bunch of points and junk picks.

Sitting in the outer watching the Carlton game Rioli was one of our brightest sparks so why trade him for an unknown
His reading the ball off the pack and the acceleration and run is something we can’t replace. He is a rare talent in that regard.

Hits the pack at the perfect moment. People say you can replace flankers; he’s more than that. Dimma understands that.

His reading the ball off the pack and the acceleration and run is something we can’t replace. He is a rare talent in that regard.

Hits the pack at the perfect moment. People say you can replace flankers; he’s more than that. Dimma understands that.
Posters complain our players don't get enough credit outside the club, then they dismiss a champion like Daniel Rioli as 'easily replaceable'. He's in the top two running defenders in the country. Only Nick Blakey cuts swathes at Dan's level.

Yes, but I remember Josh Kelly was always touted as a future superstar - the trade Demons did was a shocker from the get-go.. They got a ‘promising’ player in Dom Tyson and pick 9 & 53 - Tyson at the time was perhaps equated to a pick-30 (he’d played 13-games in 2 years at GwS and hadn’t shown much) but Demons wanted immediate midfield stocks. Even if I was generous and said #15 for Tyson … So 9, 15 and 53.

I’m suggesting worst case of 5, 14 and 32. And potentially 5, 3 and 21. Chalk and cheese with the value id be requesting for #1 to entertain the idea.

Maybe I’m just gun shy as we got Lounder, Banik and Deledio (a gun but we still could have had Roughy or Buddy) as previous #1 selections ….

All depends on how the rest of this under age season plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I agree if we got back pick 4 and another early one I think we’d be winning still . There doesn’t seem a great deal of diff first 5 or so

Posters complain our players don't get enough credit outside the club, then they dismiss a champion like Daniel Rioli as 'easily replaceable'. He's in the top two running defenders in the country. Only Nick Blakey cuts swathes at Dan's level.
And his numbers compare very well with Blakey when you put under the microscope , if trade was on GC would absolutely part with their best two pics

I think when people say he's replaceable, they're not saying the replacement is going to match his output. It's more a comment on his position being one we actually have several kids coming through in.

I think when people say he's replaceable, they're not saying the replacement is going to match his output. It's more a comment on his position being one we actually have several kids coming through in.
Keep champions.

Trade Short. Now he's easily replaceable.

Trade period / National Draft 2024

Back