Training Report 18-1-2005

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
As promised I went to the training session today at Norwood. After ********loads of hassle with the traffic (Bloody cycling) I got there just before the session started.

Firstly, I was surprised by the number of "key" players on the sidelines :(. Hart, McLeod, Stevens, Goodwin, Edwards, Thompson, Clarke, Perrie, Biglands as well as Massie, Doughty, Smith, Maric, Knights, Jericho, and Hentschel not training with the main group while Schuback, Torney and Krueger weren't even there.

The likes of Hentschel didn't do any work what so ever. Matthew Smith ran the laps and Stevo just kick the footy around as did Goodwin. Perrie, Clarke Biglands, Maric, Knights, Massie, Hart, McLeod, Thompson, and Jericho, did some handballing drills and some very light kicking. Jericho practiced his snap shots from deep inside the pocket and I must admit he surprised me. Kicked 9 out of 10. Of course there was no pressure what so ever.

Training session started at 3 and for the first 20 odd minutes we did some kicking practice in "criss-cross motion". To start off with the skills were shocking. Craigy stopped the session and got stuck into the blokes. "If you kick like that in a game I will chop your legs off" was one of the quotes :D.

Skills cleaned up a bit later on but still a LONG way to go. After that the players were split into 2 groups. One group went on to practice tackling while the other went to the other side practicing forward line enteries

Forward line enteries:

All 3 assistats were involved here with Craigy as the goal umpire. The drill consisted of 9 players on each side of which 5 were forwards/defenders and other 4 were midfielders.

The drill would start of with someone kicking off from CHB to the wing (edge of the center square). The play would then switch to the CHF/HFF area and then into the forward 50. There were red cornes indicating the hot spot where players had to kick to. If the player marked outside those cones, coaches would yell "Play on we don't want it in that area".

On the forward line set up, we started with 5 forwards. Welsh and Hudson started in the square with Burton, S. Stevens and Van Berlo huddled together at CHF. The match ups were Hudson/Bassett, Welsh/Rutten, Skipworth/Burton, Van Berlo/Johncock, Stevens/Bock.

Burton was swapping with Ladhams from HFF to the midfield. Hudson was most impressive in these drills. He was aggressive on the lead and marked the ball very well in contested situations. Kicked a few goals as well. Burton was also a strong focal point accross HF. Welshy also did OK.

They would go on for about 10 minutes and then the players would swap sides. Defenders become attacker and attackers become defenders except for Hudson who was always used from the goal square as a forward.

After a while these players went to practice tackling and the tackling group did the forward line entry drills. Some of the match ups were Hudson/Meesen, McGregor/Watts, Nye/Hinge, Andrews/Griffin, Gibson/Begley.

Hudson carried on with the good form (he didn't practice tackling today). Watts was super impressive in these drills. He marked exceptionally well and kicked a couple of goals. Needs to build upper body but he seems to have lost the puppy fat that he was carrying this time last year. Hinge is a very good overhead for his size, so is Nye.

Overall the enteries weren't particularly clean. Some would get executed well, other times it would get sloppy. From these drills most impressive were Watts, Hudson, Hinge and Burton. As far as those delivering the ball. Van Berlo and Reilly were standouts.

Tackling Sessions

Injured players were used to hold up the bags. In one of the drills the player would stand some 20 meters behind the bag. In front of the bag there would be a player 5 meters away and another 10 in the same line. The balls get placed on top of the bags. The 2 players in front of the bags would lay down on their back (with back turned to the tackling bags). Schwerdty would blow a whistle, the 2 players would get up. The one closer to the bag would make the tackle on the bag. The ball would spill and the other one would run onto it and as soon as he gets it either handball or kick to the player standing some 20 meteres behind the tackling bag.

Goal Kicking on the run

Had a group coming in from the boundary line on both sides, from the goal square and at CHF. They would work the ball out in a circular motion with the player from the goal square kicking to one of the flanks, a player marks and kicks in accross to the other flanks, a player gets the possesions and passes it off to a running player at CHF who goes on and has a shot at goal.

There were also some defenders there trying to make life difficult and there were other players that tried to sheppard and let the player with the ball have a free shot at goal.

Sloppy skills and goal kicking by some players. Needs a fair bit of work

Kick in strategies

To finish off the session the boys practiced kick ins. Forwards would set up a zone and defenders have to get it out from FB to CHF. Johncock and Reilly were in charge of kicking in. Used a couple of set plays where they would either kick short to Ladhams who would then handball off to a running player usually begley, who clears it out to the wing.

Another set play was to kick it long to either a ruckman (Ben Hudson or Meesen) or a CHB (McGregor or Gibson)

Had to leave at 5:20 so they were still left behind practicing this.

Some observations.

Burton - Stood out for both his crap kicking and him presenting himself. I couldn't beleive my eyes when he actually delivered the ball ala Kane Johnson (flat and hard) to Huddo

Van Berlo - The kid is all class. Silky foot skills. Just about the best kick (along with Reilly) of the footy in today's session.

Andrews - Bulked up a bit but still a fair way to go. Crap kicking style as always. He generally hits targets when there is no pressure but as soon as there is some pressue the kicking action is all over the place.

Griffin - Built like a pencil but very smooth for a tall fella. Impressed with his ball handling and kicking was very smooth. I think WW must have been talking about him when he did his training report.

Hinge - Good pick up this lad. Strongly built, gook kick and a strong mark. Showed some promising signs both as a forward and defender in the drills.

Reilly - All class. Skills first class and his delivery to the forwards was sensational.

Bode - Bodster was everywhere today. Had a REALLY good session. Still the same kicking action but he only missed a target a couple of times today.

Roo - GREAT

Watts - Very impressive. Played from the goal square along with Huddo and gave Kenny a bath in the air. Very impressed with him today.

Ladhams - Did very well. Great foot skills.

Begley - trained well the entire session

Gibson - Raw but a BIG boy who loves to split packs

Bock - Trained the house down. Has bulked up. Used as a defender today and did very well

Meesen - Did some excellent things that got praised by Craigy. Needs to beef up but a likely type

Perrie - ******** me dead the bloke is HUGE. Hair is a SHOCKER. Looks like as if the goat p|ssed on it :D

The likes of Perrie, Welsh, Bock, Hentschel, Reilly and Johncock have all bulked up to some degree.

Maric looks like a bit of a character and well liked by the team mates.

Thanks Stiff.

Hinge is an interesting one. What possie do you think he is best suited too?
. In his profile under "player most like" it stated Glen Archer - I nearly wet myself. Your thoughts?

Thanks for the report. Excellent to see what the guys are up to.

Still early days with the skills, but it is a worry that professional players can't hit targets at training and the goalkicking isn't impressive.

On the up side, Bock, Begley, Bode & Burton (the 4 B's) sound like they are travelling well, as does Perrie, Reilly and Huddo. If these players can step up this year this may well be where our improvement can come from.

Cheers

SpringChoke said:
Thanks Stiff.

Hinge is an interesting one. What possie do you think he is best suited too?
. In his profile under "player most like" it stated Glen Archer - I nearly wet myself. Your thoughts?
He showed good signs both as a forward and a defender. I also heard he played as an onballer in the country against men.

I think we are more likely to play him as a forward. He is about Welshy's heigh and is not a bag grab. In time he will probably move into the midfield either with the Bays or with the Crows.

tinman said:
Thanks for the report. Excellent to see what the guys are up to.

Still early days with the skills, but it is a worry that professional players can't hit targets at training and the goalkicking isn't impressive.

On the up side, Bock, Begley, Bode & Burton (the 4 B's) sound like they are travelling well, as does Perrie, Reilly and Huddo. If these players can step up this year this may well be where our improvement can come from.

Cheers
The goal kicking wasn't disappointing but I would have liked to see a better conversion. However, those players whose job is to kick goals kicked them. Roo, Welsh, Bode, Burton, Hudson and Watts were good in front of goals.

Perrie took some shots at goal from the pockets and he hasn't missed a single shot. Jezza was also good from deep inside the poscket with the snap shots (under no pressure mind you)

Great report young Stiffmeister. You've done us all proud.

19 players not training or only doing light stuff??? WTF

Surely they can't all be injured. In fact Fergus mentioned a fair few of those as training the house down last Thursday I think it was.

The comments about the skills aren't surprising to anyone surely. It's going to take time to correct the low levels to which we'd gradually sunk to in 2004, and certainly justifies why Craig has taken the approach that he has with ball work.

Good news about Watts too. I thought he did well when I saw him a bit earlier, but he does need to bulk up his upper body before he'll make a real impact at AFL level. I still think he's got it though.

Van Berlo and Hinge are the eyecatchers of the newcomers, aren't they Stiffy, although I'm yet to see Meesen strut his stuff.

Of those that trained, and based on just the one session, who would you nominate from that lot as your big improver?

macca23 said:
Great report young Stiffmeister. You've done us all proud.
Thanks mate, I did my best :)
macca23 said:
19 players not training or only doing light stuff??? WTF

Surely they can't all be injured. In fact Fergus mentioned a fair few of those as training the house down last Thursday I think it was.
I was shell-shocked. Mayne they are just giving her light session because they have done a lot of work before hand. I don't think they are all injured because some of them were kicking the balls a fair distance to each other so it couldn't possibly be leg injuries. I think they just gave them a night off. Bit worried about Hentschel because he was going down to the rooms just as I was getting there. He came back out got his boots and went back down again :confused:
macca23 said:
The comments about the skills aren't surprising to anyone surely. It's going to take time to correct the low levels to which we'd gradually sunk to in 2004, and certainly justifies why Craig has taken the approach that he has with ball work.
Correct. By AFL standards they were diappointing but we have improved in this area. We still have a long way to go. Was pleased when Craig stopped the proceedings to give them an earful and really got stuck into them. Burton especially

macca23 said:
Good news about Watts too. I thought he did well when I saw him a bit earlier, but he does need to bulk up his upper body before he'll make a real impact at AFL level. I still think he's got it though.
He does need to bulk up but I haven't changed my mind on him one bit. Our future CHF without a doubt, if he stays with us that is. On what he has shown today, don't be surprised if he plays quite a few games this year. He really took Kenny to the cleaners and that I haven't seen in a LONG LONG time.
macca23 said:
Van Berlo and Hinge are the eyecatchers of the newcomers, aren't they Stiffy, although I'm yet to see Meesen strut his stuff.
Wasn't hard to spot Van Berlo at all. He is just all class and its hard not to spot Hinge with that hair of his :D

macca23 said:
Of those that trained, and based on just the one session, who would you nominate from that lot as your big improver?
Hudson without a shadow of a doubt. Watts also looked very impressive. 2 of the best today IMHO.

NikkiNoo said:
Stiffy you're a STAR - thank you thank you thank you :)
You're welcome :).

No as good as macca23's but its hard to concentrate on the training and remember everything while you are being asked all the questions by a bloke sitting close to you who sounded like he swallowed a canary :eek:

Stiffy_18 said:
Hudson carried on with the good form (he didn't practice tackling today). Watts was super impressive in these drills. He marked exceptionally well and kicked a couple of goals. Needs to build upper body but he seems to have lost the puppy fat that he was carrying this time last year. Hinge is a very good overhead for his size, so is Nye.
Firstly fantastic report - thankyou
Having seen Hudson do you think he can take the next step and cement a place in the side, If so how do we fit Clarke, Biglands and Hudson in the same line-up??
Overall the enteries weren't particularly clean. Some would get executed well, other times it would get sloppy. From these drills most impressive were Watts, Hudson, Hinge and Burton. As far as those delivering the ball. Van Berlo and Reilly were standouts.
The session I saw was also very sloppy - tends to put a dampner on all the player reports coming out about our supposed lift in skills

Some observations.

Van Berlo - The kid is all class. Silky foot skills. Just about the best kick (along with Reilly) of the footy in today's session.
Yes looks the goods but need to see him in a game situation
Andrews - Bulked up a bit but still a fair way to go. Crap kicking style as always. He generally hits targets when there is no pressure but as soon as there is some pressue the kicking action is all over the place.
Still he looks to have made big gains and continueing to improve all the time.
Griffin - Built like a pencil but very smooth for a tall fella. Impressed with his ball handling and kicking was very smooth. I think WW must have been talking about him when he did his training report.
Yep this the lad very impressive if he can put on some weight
Hinge - Good pick up this lad. Strongly built, gook kick and a strong mark. Showed some promising signs both as a forward and defender in the drills.
Impressive lad - someone to really keep an eye out for.

Meesen - Did some excellent things that got praised by Craigy. Needs to beef up but a likely type
What were your initial impressions of him Stiffy?
Perrie - ******** me dead the bloke is HUGE. Hair is a SHOCKER. Looks like as if the goat p|ssed on it :D

Great stuff Stiff, enjoyed the read.

Didnt enjoy the read so much about all the players missing training, but I agree with the idea that they were probably just having a night off. Still spewing about Kruegs I was really hoping it would be his year.

I am really getting excited about Hinge, seems like a real goer, and I am really looking forward to seeing Van Berlo in the flesh. Do you think he is a chance of playing this season proper?

Skills were a bit of a worry, but they will take time, hopefully it was just an off night, stoked to hear Bodey has a good session, I have high hopes for him.

Im thinking about getting down to training sometime myself, how is the best way to find out when and where they are training?

Blue Red and Gold said:
Im thinking about getting down to training sometime myself, how is the best way to find out when and where they are training?

At the AFC site, bottom of the page, right hand corner

http://afc.com.au/

TRAINING TIMES

Monday 17/1 - 10.00am - Max Basheer Res.
Tuesday 18/1 - 3.00pm - Norwood Oval
Thursday 20/1 - 10.00am - Max Basheer Res.
Friday 21/1 - 9.00am - Max Basheer Res.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wayne's-World said:
Having seen Hudson do you think he can take the next step and cement a place in the side, If so how do we fit Clarke, Biglands and Hudson in the same line-up??
From what I have seen today on the training track (and its only one session) he could most definetly cement his spot in the 22. He hasn't done any ruck drills today (no one did) but his work from the goal square and in general field play was very encouraging.

After today's session I am more certain that one of the ruckman will play FP full time. Whether thats Hudson or Biglands it remains to be seen. Something tells me that we could go in with 3 ruckman :eek:
Wayne's-World said:
What were your initial impressions of him Stiffy?
A tall lad that needs to put on some good 10 kg of muscle. Moves well, marks well and his kicking is generally good. He gave a couple of fantastic defensive efforts today which Craigy was quick to praise.

I like him but if we are talking who is more ready body-wise for AFL footy then its Maric. He is a much better build at this stage but Meesen has a frame that will fill out nicely. Another thing I noticed with Meesen is that he covers a LOT of ground (Wore the GPS thing today) and he moves swiftly for a player of his size. Speed is a bit of a weakness though.

great rewiew there stiffy :)
Is it possible that huddo and rhett could be changing with each other as ruck/FF? IYO
or just huddo as FF :confused: at least we would finally see (for the first time in our history) some opisition backmen squibing against our forwards?
It does sound like a Craig move now that ive written it! :cool:

macca23 said:
At the AFC site, bottom of the page, right hand corner

http://afc.com.au/

TRAINING TIMES

Monday 17/1 - 10.00am - Max Basheer Res.
Tuesday 18/1 - 3.00pm - Norwood Oval
Thursday 20/1 - 10.00am - Max Basheer Res.
Friday 21/1 - 9.00am - Max Basheer Res.

Thanks Macca..I didnt see any Perth venues listed :(

Stiffy thanks for the report...my take on the ''resting'' players..was the session designed for those in certain positions? Or did the numbers available dictate the skills practiced..sorry it is another NikkiNoo question :p

jc67 said:
great rewiew there stiffy :)
Is it possible that huddo and rhett could be changing with each other as ruck/FF? IYO
or just huddo as FF :confused: at least we would finally see (for the first time in our history) some opisition backmen squibing against our forwards?
It does sound like a Craig move now that ive written it! :cool:
I really have no idea. Its hard to judge what the coaches are thinking when just about half your squad is on the sidelines. One thing is certain, we will have a ruckman in the FP. Whether thats Clarke, Biglands or Hudson remains to be seen.

We could do what we did towards the end of the year. Have either Biglands (more likely) or Hudson in the FP, Clarke in the ruck and another ruckman on the bench. I will try to get down to another session before the trials against Norwood and North.

Does anyone know when the Crows have the internal trial (it should be a week before the Norwood/North game)?

PerthCrow said:
Thanks Macca..I didnt see any Perth venues listed :(

Stiffy thanks for the report...my take on the ''resting'' players..was the session designed for those in certain positions? Or did the numbers available dictate the skills practiced..sorry it is another NikkiNoo question :p
I am not sure mate. This was my first session and I don't know what they do the other days of training.

We did pretty much what Craig said we were doing (Kicking and handballing techniques, Forward line entry, goal kicking and Kick ins) in his radio interview. Maybe the likes of macca23 and others that have been to other training sessions can fill us in if the squad is doing any different drills than the ones they did yesterday.

Capitalist said:
I'd like to know with a bit over a month till the wizard cup are we up to standard to play the Power ?
Probably not. Mind you the session appeared more relaxed that it normally is (according to those regular track watchers) so there wasn't a lot of real game intensity type drills (Apart from the McGregor/Watts and Rutten/Welsh duels)

Capitalist said:
Good to see Hudson playing at FF mind you I'd say Biglands will get the gig come game time - unless they are swapping suring the game.
I would probably agree with you. Craigy likes Biglands as a forward so I would say that Biglands has the inside running for a FP position.

Thanks for the fantastic report Stiffy. It is great to have the opportunity to know what's going on when I live in Bris.
I'm sorry to also keep asking questions, but can you tell me how Rutten was going, as I really hope he holds down FB this year enabling Basset etc. to not have to stand the monsters.

As per usual another great training report to digest. :)

Stiffy my concern is not about any particular player but the overall fitness of the group on the whole.

Are we sacrificing our level of fitness at this time of the year for the skill/tactics side of it or are we still maintaining a level of fitness that will not put us behind the 8 ball when the season proper begins, ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Report 18-1-2005

Remove this Banner Ad

Back