Training Report 18-1-2005

Remove this Banner Ad

macca23 said:
Reilly physically looks a treat and is training accordingly - a real stand-out.

Now that the oppressive tyrant, Gary Hitler is no longer there to hold back his development, I expect Reilly's career to really blossom and his class to really shine.
Reilly reminds be of Sugar as to hoe he disposes of the ball - for this reason he should be playing in the midfield, as we have plenty of HBF types.

Also, if Van Berlo is as good as all the reports are suggesing, we should fast-track him into the team (but he may need to be eased of the bench).

I stick to my pre-season prediction that Hudson will go past Biglands this year & we will be better off for it, as he has a footy brain - attacks the balls rather than the player.

BTW, great report Stiffy.

crowsarethebest said:
Great report stiffy!
As i live in melbourne i can't go to the training sessions so who do you think who was least impressive and didn't do any thing at all?
Gee thats a hard one. Since some 19 odd players didn't participate in the real training its hard to say.

Even with the bit of kicking he did Doughty was crap.............:D just stirring:p

There wasn't really anyone that stood out to be struggling or having a crap session. Generally everyone trained well.

colbys_kid said:
Stiffy_18 said:
Reilly - All class. Skills first class and his delivery to the forwards was sensational.

How is brent travelling bulked up alot the last i saw of him. Has he gotten much bigger and stronger over the pre season. Do you think he will play most games next year for the crows? He has always been a magnificently skilled player i didnt think it would take him so long to get a game in the 1s. Honestly thought he would get delisted when he was playing 2s at sturt.
Injury permitting, expect Reilly to cement his place in the side and play every game. He will make his mark as an AFL player this year.

Kane McGoodwin said:
I stick to my pre-season prediction that Hudson will go past Biglands this year & we will be better off for it, as he has a footy brain - attacks the balls rather than the player.
Ball or balls??????:D:p

Seriously Kane you are VERY VERY harsh on Biglands. You make it sound like he is only looking to flatten blokes. Lets not forget that prior to 2004 season Rhett has NEVER EVER been reported from U10s all the way through the AFL. A bad run in one season doesn't automatically make him a loose cannon.

Stiffy_18 said:

Seriously Kane you are VERY VERY harsh on Biglands. You make it sound like he is only looking to flatten blokes. Lets not forget that prior to 2004 season Rhett has NEVER EVER been reported from U10s all the way through the AFL. A bad run in one season doesn't automatically make him a loose cannon.
I more concerned about Biglands lack of cranium-power than him flattening players.

Stiffy_18 said:
He is still kicking hospital ball. He needs to address this. He was one of the best kicks when he joined the club but has gone downhill since. He should hold FB for us as there are no other real candidates.
Still doing it? - would have thought the coaches would have been right on that one - will end up getting one of our players in a lot of trouble

Kane McGoodwin said:
Reilly reminds be of Sugar as to hoe he disposes of the ball - for this reason he should be playing in the midfield, as we have plenty of HBF types.

Also, if Van Berlo is as good as all the reports are suggesing, we should fast-track him into the team (but he may need to be eased of the bench).

BTW, great report Stiffy.
Kane think your on the money with each of those observations.

;)

Wayne's-World said:
Still doing it? - would have thought the coaches would have been right on that one - will end up getting one of our players in a lot of trouble
Yep still doing it.

In the goal kicking on the run, I specifically looked for him to see if he has improved these but they are hospital kicks that have more height than length. He gets a fair distace with them but they are hospital balls.

Kane McGoodwin said:
I more concerned about Biglands lack of cranium-power than him flattening players.
He is not the only one on our list though.

In the words on Neil Kerley "Football is a game of space and unfortunately a lot of our players have too much space between the ears" :D

Stiffy_18 said:

I don't think Kane is being harsh, on the contrary I think Biglands has escaped criticism largely because of his build and what he is capable of doing.

IMO Hudson offers more flexibility, and mongel to the team than Biglands will ever bring to the table.

Stiffy_18 said:
Yep still doing it.

In the goal kicking on the run, I specifically looked for him to see if he has improved these but they are hospital kicks that have more height than length. He gets a fair distace with them but they are hospital balls.
:( Thats a concern - surely he can see that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stiffy_18 said:

To be honest Biglands lack of brain waves in his 2nd act of nincum-poopery was one of the low lights of last season for me.

& the worst part about it all is in an interview after the 2nd suspension he thought he didn't do anything wrong & wouldn't be changing the way he plays the game.

If i was coach i would say him "right your our no1 ruckman so get out there & bloody well play like it" & if he carries on like he has been in the past then i would put him up for trade quick smart.

noddy said:
If i was coach i would say him "right your our no1 ruckman so get out there & bloody well play like it" & if he carries on like he has been in the past then i would put him up for trade quick smart.
:)

Stiffy_18 said:
He is not the only one on our list though.

In the words on Neil Kerley "Football is a game of space and unfortunately a lot of our players have too much space between the ears" :D
We should be weeding out our intellectually challenged footballers, rather than letting them stay in the side, because they have mates of equal quality. We won our flags with plenty of smart footballers (particalarly our ruckmen), even though the other teams arguably had more all-round talent. Any way dumb footballers fustrate the crap out me!

I haven't seen this reporton this board yet, but here's a Robran report on training last Monday - I think you did a tad better Stiffy, although you did forget the squawking Cockatoos (surely they had those at Norwood too)!! :D

Plenty of pressure on the track
10:30:16 AM Tue 18 January, 2005
matthew robran
afc.com.au

As the squawking Cockatoos overlooked proceedings from the neighbouring trees surrounding Max Basheer Reserve, the Adelaide Crows began their Monday session with the same spirit and enthusiasm that has been on display for the entire pre-season.

Andrew McLeod was first on the track early in the morning, putting his rolled ankle to the test with a series of sprints. He looked to be in no discomfort, but was still restricted to lighter duties on the bike for major part of the morning.

The warm-up was again the standard style of the Crows 2005 pre-season. A significant amount of ball work is involved to fine tune the skills and prepare the body, with light kicking over 15 metres, handballing drills in close, sprints, run throughs and shuttle runs all while holding the footballs. In between drills the players stretch all muscles significantly. It’s a thorough 30-40 minute warm-up program, with the extra time being taken to make sure the players bodies are totally ready and the chances of injuries are significantly reduced.

The intensity of the session gradually lifted after the warm-up, with the pace of the players increasing as ball gathering drills are introduced. Hamstrings and backs are stretched as the players bend down to gather the ball at full pace and deliver by hand to a waiting teammate. Another close-in handballing drill is conducted to simulate a pack situation, preparing the players for delivering the ball accurately in congestion.

The full ground drills are then introduced. The ball begins with a long and wide kick from full back, who begins to move the ball inboard towards centre half forward. The ball is then delivered to a full forward who is leading up the centre corridor. Instead of taking a set shot, the player pushes off and kicks for goal as quickly as possible, usually resulting in a snap shot for goal. Neil Craig is working on his forwards’ ability to kick for goal under pressure. It is something that has been worked on since the beginning of pre-season, and the results are starting to show. In the drill, the players received the ball and pushed off the mark at great pace, and the snap shots for goal were of a very high standard with most going through for a goal. Neil Craig and his coaching staff will be looking for the players to take their under-pressure goal scoring skills into the 2005 season.

Another drill emphasised in the session was all about “decision making”. The drill involves a player choosing the correct option from teammates who lead to the left or right with a defender in the middle putting on mild pressure.

Neil Craig continues to emphasise the need for better skills under pressure situations. This includes a higher level of skill and delivery to teammates while under pressure from opponents, as well as being able to score more goals while under the constant pressure of an opposition defender. The results are already starting to show, with the skill level of players drastically improving. The next test for the players is taking these skills into game situations.

Kane McGoodwin said:
We should be weeding out our intellectually challenged footballers, rather than letting them stay in the side, because they have mates of equal quality. We won our flags with plenty of smart footballers (particalarly our ruckmen), even though the other teams arguably had more all-round talent. Any way dumb footballers fustrate the crap out me!

I don't think anyone would classify D Jarman as an intellectual - but he was a genius on the footy field.

If the Aussie cricket team was picked on intellect I don't think too many of the current team would get a game either...... ;)

macca23 said:
Neil Craig continues to emphasise the need for better skills under pressure situations. This includes a higher level of skill and delivery to teammates while under pressure from opponents, as well as being able to score more goals while under the constant pressure of an opposition defender. The results are already starting to show, with the skill level of players drastically improving. The next test for the players is taking these skills into game situations.
Gee I haven't seen any evidence of this from what I saw, and subsequent training reports :confused:

tinman said:
I don't think anyone would classify D Jarman as an intellectual - but he was a genius on the footy field.

If the Aussie cricket team was picked on intellect I don't think too many of the current team would get a game either...... ;)
Agreed, but you have to have other compensatory skills - what are Biglands :confused:

Stiffy_18 said:
Its called propaganda ;)
Yes as all clubs are good at this time of year, what with membership drives.

But considering how long the balls have been out at training the skill level appears to be rather poor.

I conceded the fact that I saw the first session after the break, so I cut some slack on that basis, but it doesn't seem to have improved.

tinman said:

When I'm talking of footy intellect, I'm referring too their footy smarts, not their IQ. DJ rarely made a bad decision on the footy field. ;)

Wayne's-World said:
But considering how long the balls have been out at training the skill level appears to be rather poor.

I conceded the fact that I saw the first session after the break, so I cut some slack on that basis, but it doesn't seem to have improved.

It definitely has improved over last year, but still has a ways to go.

Craig was right to use the balls as early as he did. We need all the practice we can get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Report 18-1-2005

Remove this Banner Ad

Back