Under 19 Premier Division - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the vote of confidence RFS. Don’t know about odds but I will stick my neck out and give a finishing order after the home and away.
(I would like an opportunity to review after 5/6 rounds). With big list changes every year it is very difficult to make pre-season predications for the U19s. Most teams are an unknown quantity and pre-season form counts for little. Been a while since 2 district clubs featured in 19 Premier. Good to see. Expect this will be very even competition this year.

OX Strongest club in the comp but perennial bridesmaid in the 19s. Have lost 3 recent GF’s to De La and will be desperate to match the success of their seniors. Another strong group and better depth than last year should see them near the top.

UNI BLUES. They are very optimistic about their list this year. Heaps of talent at their disposal and if they gel early then look out. A definite threat

DE LA SALLE Powerhouse of 19s football. The last 5 GF’s in a row for 4 premierships. Some good judges rate the undefeated 2010 team as the best 19s team ever. The reign must end eventually but if they make the 4 will be a big threat. Another flag is a real possibility.

BEAUMARIS Many of the 2010 team that played finals is eligible again. Some very good players in that lot and they will be right amongst it again. They are very confident of making a big impression this year.

ST BEDES Underachieved for the talent they had last year. This group is better than 2010 with some very good additions. Believe they have recruited well and seem to benefit more than others as Sandy Dragons send a few their way. While topping up the talent this can also cause some friction with so many changes from week to week

SCOTCH A club desperate for success at any level. Regular finals appearances in recent years and ready to take the next step. Always seem to recruit well and it wouldn’t surprise to see them push for a top 4 spot.

FITZROY Apologies if this seems disrespectful but I just don’t know anything about them. The 2010 version must have been pretty good to knock off what was reportedly an extremely good Werribee side twice in the finals. My prediction is based only on recent North Division sides struggling when coming up to Premier with the last couple of teams going straight back down again. Can someone from the Roys give us some insight please?

UNI BLACKS Just a guess really. Believe they were decimated by injury last year that really tested their depth. A good result for the club to stay in Premier otherwise all the talent might have deserted them for the Blues. The mail is they have recruited well.

OLD BRIGHTON I hear that quite a few of last years South 1 premiership side are eligible again but that numbers are an issue. Have some real talent but depth might be a problem.

OLD MELBOURNE Some very big pre-season wraps on them last year - mostly from their own, but they never really got going. Relied heavily on 2 or 3 players. Will post some wins but I don’t expect they will threaten.

Xavs top of the ladder, seriously doubt it!!!
Watched St Bedes against Old Mentonians and heard it was close to full strength, didn't look like a team that would finish anywhere near the top.

Xavs top of the ladder, seriously doubt it!!!
Watched St Bedes against Old Mentonians and heard it was close to full strength, didn't look like a team that would finish anywhere near the top.

No worries Boomer. Just my opinion that's all. By the way I'm not from Xavs but respect the fact they are always thereabouts and can never be discounted. Where would you have them finish?

Look forward to seeing your predictions.

Thanks for the vote of confidence RFS. Don’t know about odds but I will stick my neck out and give a finishing order after the home and away.
(I would like an opportunity to review after 5/6 rounds). With big list changes every year it is very difficult to make pre-season predications for the U19s. Most teams are an unknown quantity and pre-season form counts for little. Been a while since 2 district clubs featured in 19 Premier. Good to see. Expect this will be very even competition this year.

OX Strongest club in the comp but perennial bridesmaid in the 19s. Have lost 3 recent GF’s to De La and will be desperate to match the success of their seniors. Another strong group and better depth than last year should see them near the top.

UNI BLUES. They are very optimistic about their list this year. Heaps of talent at their disposal and if they gel early then look out. A definite threat

DE LA SALLE Powerhouse of 19s football. The last 5 GF’s in a row for 4 premierships. Some good judges rate the undefeated 2010 team as the best 19s team ever. The reign must end eventually but if they make the 4 will be a big threat. Another flag is a real possibility.

BEAUMARIS Many of the 2010 team that played finals is eligible again. Some very good players in that lot and they will be right amongst it again. They are very confident of making a big impression this year.

ST BEDES Underachieved for the talent they had last year. This group is better than 2010 with some very good additions. Believe they have recruited well and seem to benefit more than others as Sandy Dragons send a few their way. While topping up the talent this can also cause some friction with so many changes from week to week

SCOTCH A club desperate for success at any level. Regular finals appearances in recent years and ready to take the next step. Always seem to recruit well and it wouldn’t surprise to see them push for a top 4 spot.

FITZROY Apologies if this seems disrespectful but I just don’t know anything about them. The 2010 version must have been pretty good to knock off what was reportedly an extremely good Werribee side twice in the finals. My prediction is based only on recent North Division sides struggling when coming up to Premier with the last couple of teams going straight back down again. Can someone from the Roys give us some insight please?

UNI BLACKS Just a guess really. Believe they were decimated by injury last year that really tested their depth. A good result for the club to stay in Premier otherwise all the talent might have deserted them for the Blues. The mail is they have recruited well.

OLD BRIGHTON I hear that quite a few of last years South 1 premiership side are eligible again but that numbers are an issue. Have some real talent but depth might be a problem.

OLD MELBOURNE Some very big pre-season wraps on them last year - mostly from their own, but they never really got going. Relied heavily on 2 or 3 players. Will post some wins but I don’t expect they will threaten.

Fitzroy should struggle this year from last years side they have lost 16 players from last years side (which would be very competive in last years season), they dont have two sides like the past few years, numbers are down so there isnt much depth, they dont have a coach as yet, there are about 7-8 players that would fit right into another premier under 19 side but fitzroy often look to get there good unders playing seniors

Old Brighton are making the trip to the dreaded "shark tank" this week to play bayside rivals Beaumaris for a final hit out before the season gets under way. Should be an interesting match...

So much talk. cant actuly wait for round 1 so we know who puts the vital points on the board. top 4 this year de la, xav, scotch, uni blues. very confident in those 4 teams getting into finals. beauy and st bedes are not strong enough clubs and wont win enought big matches.
leading goalkickers for season 2011??

So much talk. cant actuly wait for round 1 so we know who puts the vital points on the board. top 4 this year de la, xav, scotch, uni blues. very confident in those 4 teams getting into finals. beauy and st bedes are not strong enough clubs and wont win enought big matches.

You do know that Beauy are one of the largest junior clubs in the country (officially largest 2 years ago) and that SMTB won A grade not long ago right? Muppet.

Beauy didn't have problem knocking off both Xavs and Scotch last year during the home and away season, I'd consider those big games? Was the club stronger last year compared to this year?

Beauy didn't have problem knocking off both Xavs and Scotch last year during the home and away season, I'd consider those big games? Was the club stronger last year compared to this year?

yer true but they were absaloutly smashed by a bigger and much more physically intimidating de la outfit and this is the key beauy have never produced tough players they are good when there winning but when the going gets tough they run the other way...

yer true but they were absaloutly smashed by a bigger and much more physically intimidating de la outfit and this is the key beauy have never produced tough players they are good when there winning but when the going gets tough they run the other way...

Yes I somewhat agree, but De La were unstoppable last year and I believe they will come back to the pack this year. "Never produced tough players", I think that's a bit harsh, especially compared to the princesses from Xavs and Scotch.

Beating xavier in home and away 1 week and losing in a final the next week to the same team is not what i call winning big matches. xav has been one of the toughest clubs in vafa history. Uni blues will be a strong force but not sure how strong their forward line is? any new recuits up forward?

Beating xavier in home and away 1 week and losing in a final the next week to the same team is not what i call winning big matches. xav has been one of the toughest clubs in vafa history. Uni blues will be a strong force but not sure how strong their forward line is? any new recuits up forward?

Yes, but in the context of the discussion we are talking about top 4 which is decided by the home and away rounds.

that's a bit harsh. they had some tough unders last year who ended up in the ones very early on and played in a senior flag (one of the gutsiest, toughest wins you'll ever see). Sso to say they never produce tough players is an exaggeration and a mighty fine piece of trolling.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OM's are apparently merging with OG's due to lack of numbers. Could potentially see a stronger team as a result, however OG's generally don't take it too seriously.

De La will be right up there again i reckon. When we played Uni Blues we had a few of our best players out, and still managed to beat them. Looking forward to a big year and hopefully another flag!!

Nicholson for the league medal.

Can someone let me know why Uni Blues are rated so highly this year? Is this just pure speculation or are they actually going to be up there?

Can someone let me know why Uni Blues are rated so highly this year? Is this just pure speculation or are they actually going to be up there?

I'd have to agree, they were the biggest pretenders last year. i recall them falling away badly toward the end of the year and getting demolished by sides. why would they finish on top of the ladder?

I'd have to agree, they were the biggest pretenders last year. i recall them falling away badly toward the end of the year and getting demolished by sides. why would they finish on top of the ladder?

I have heard from a few people at UBlues that they rate this year’s group very highly. On top of that they have bigger numbers and as such greater depth then recent seasons. They looked good against De La last week only losing by a small margin. In the corresponding game last year they were smashed. While admittedly only a practice match De La has been the benchmark of U19 footy for years. May all come to nothing but I think their optimism is well justified.

Hey JD - How can you say that Blues were smashed by sides towards the end of the year ? If they beat Scotch in Round 18 they would have made finals instead of Xavs.

Anyway that was last year and Round One is only 7 days away.

Sloth out.

Mark my words right now. Remember this. If Loc O'Connell from DLS plays the majority of the year in the 19s (pending senior action and being quite injury prone) He will win the league bnf by a country mile, for someone coming back from surgery he made a practice game on saturday look stupid. Easily and i mean EASILY the quickest bloke in the under 19 comp and would be top 3 in the entire comp this bloke is a jet!

Round one tips

Old Melburnians
vs
Old Xaverians

Beaumaris
vs
St Bedes/Mentone Tigers

Old Brighton
vs
University Blacks

University Blues
vs
Old Scotch

De La Salle
vs
Fitzroy

Predicted Winners in Bold

Sloth out :)

Ladder Prediction

Beaumaris - Alot of players from last year still available although seniors likely to steal a few. Have some very talented school kids. Might lose a few games in the first half of the season but when the school kids come in, they should be very hard to stop.

De La Salle - Can't go past them being one of the most successful clubs in U19 premier. Should be up there again but I'm sure they won't go undefeated this season. Still have some good players from last year and school kids play on wednesdays I think so that should help them.

Uni Blues - Just putting them third because of all the hype on this forum. Apparently have recruited well and did well in a praccy match against De La so I am tipping them to slot in at 3rd

Old Xavs - Always in top 4 so I couldn't leave them out, heard they are slightly worse than last year so having them at 4th sounds appropriate. Discipline is going be a big issue for them so they need to keep focused and not get ahead of themselves.

Old Scotch - I'm tipping them to just miss the top 4, relied on their best players too much last year and had many passengers. Their best players aren't gonna be there this year as they'll be playing seniors and this is why they'll miss out on finals.

Uni Blacks - I'm backing them in to improve this year with some good new recruits as well some of last years players to step up and help these notorious cellar dwellers climb up the ladder.

St Bedes - Going to struggle, have some good players but no depth. Their lower end players are alot worse than the lower end players of other teams and this is going to be a big problem for them.

Fitzroy - Don't know much about them but they won the North 1 premiership so if they have some good numbers from last year I am sure they will have a chance to avoid relegation.

Old Melburnians - Not much to say about OM's but I heard they are struggling for numbers and I am tipping them to be easy beats.

Old Brighton - They have literally 2 or so players from last year, will struggle to field a team let alone win a game!

Round one tips

Old Melburnians
vs
Old Xaverians

Beaumaris
vs
St Bedes/Mentone Tigers

Old Brighton
vs
University Blacks

University Blues
vs
Old Scotch

De La Salle
vs
Fitzroy

Predicted Winners in Bold

Sloth out :)

Old Melburnians vs Old Xaverians

Beaumaris vs St Bedes/Mentone Tigers

Old Brighton vs University Blacks

University Blues vs Old Scotch

De La Salle vs Fitzroy

Ladder Prediction

Beaumaris - Alot of players from last year still available although seniors likely to steal a few. Have some very talented school kids. Might lose a few games in the first half of the season but when the school kids come in, they should be very hard to stop.

De La Salle - Can't go past them being one of the most successful clubs in U19 premier. Should be up there again but I'm sure they won't go undefeated this season. Still have some good players from last year and school kids play on wednesdays I think so that should help them.

Uni Blues - Just putting them third because of all the hype on this forum. Apparently have recruited well and did well in a praccy match against De La so I am tipping them to slot in at 3rd

Old Xavs - Always in top 4 so I couldn't leave them out, heard they are slightly worse than last year so having them at 4th sounds appropriate. Discipline is going be a big issue for them so they need to keep focused and not get ahead of themselves.

Old Scotch - I'm tipping them to just miss the top 4, relied on their best players too much last year and had many passengers. Their best players aren't gonna be there this year as they'll be playing seniors and this is why they'll miss out on finals.

Uni Blacks - I'm backing them in to improve this year with some good new recruits as well some of last years players to step up and help these notorious cellar dwellers climb up the ladder.

St Bedes - Going to struggle, have some good players but no depth. Their lower end players are alot worse than the lower end players of other teams and this is going to be a big problem for them.

Fitzroy - Don't know much about them but they won the North 1 premiership so if they have some good numbers from last year I am sure they will have a chance to avoid relegation.

Old Melburnians - Not much to say about OM's but I heard they are struggling for numbers and I am tipping them to be easy beats.

Old Brighton - They have literally 2 or so players from last year, will struggle to field a team let alone win a game!

Nice review Boomer.

Just wondering how Old Brighton went against your Sharks on the weekend ?

Tips for the week

OX to have a % over 200
Sharks - happy to believe the hype
Uni Blacks - not the bottom feeder some are suggesting
Uni Blues - Will win it all
DLS - The roy boys might wish they stayed down

Good Luck to all on the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back