Under 19 Premier Division - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see Fitzroy and OMs improving significantly. Blacks also seem to be going ok and are pretty competitive. Good for the comp as these blowouts are no good for anyone. Not good however to see OBs score 1.1 against DLS. While not an absolute massacre only 2 scoring shots in a game of footy is disturbing. Like others I fear what will happen when they play Xavs who look absolutely unstoppable this year,

Apologies boys - yeah they do play the Blacks.

It does seem like Blacks, Fitzroy and OM's are improving which is great for the comp.

It is getting colder and wetter now, so I wonder how some teams adapt to that.

Beaumaris
vs
Old Melburnians

Old Scotch
vs
De La Salle

University Blues
vs
Old Brighton

Old Xaverians
vs
University Blacks

Fitzroy
vs
St Bedes/Mentone Tigers

This week's games ...

Tips for this week:

Beaumaris vs Old Melburnians - OM's starting to really improve but the home ground advantage should be enough for Beaumaris. Beaumaris by 30

Old Scotch vs De La Salle - Clearly the match of the round! should be an interesting game to watch, you could say that Scotch havent played much yet and this is their first real test for the season! I believe De La are still good enough to beat OS. To be tight all day and Nicholson to kick the winning goal after the siren. De La by a point!

Uni Blues vs Old Brighton - Seems to be the easiest 4 points to earn this season! I feel sorry for the boys from Brighton and I expect them to lose by 100+ points once again!

Old Xaverians vs Uni Blacks - Xavs are on fire and it seems Uni Blacks are starting to show a little.... But Xavs shouldnt be losing at the Dust Bowl.... Xavs by many

Fitzroy vs St Bedes/Mentone - Fitzroy are really starting to find some form and after watching St Bedes last week they will be around the bottom half of the top 4 come end of the season... Im leaning towards Fitzroy in a very tight one only cause it is their home game!! Fitzroy by less then 12

Thoughts?

Beaumaris beat st beds in the first round by 60 odd points
De la beat fitzroy by 90 odd point
Two rounds later st beds beat de la
Three rounds later beaumaris just beats fitzroy
Anyone know of any reasons why the comp has been like this?

Beaumaris beat st beds in the first round by 60 odd points
De la beat fitzroy by 90 odd point
Two rounds later st beds beat de la
Three rounds later beaumaris just beats fitzroy
Anyone know of any reasons why the comp has been like this?

The natural ebb & flow of underage football. 19s going up and down from the seniors or TAC teams, injury, unavailability. A host of reasons.

The only constant at the moment is that Xavs seem to be a fair bit of head of a chasing pack of about 4 teams. Xavs have no 19s playing seniors – maybe only Goss who is a 19 ½, so a pretty balanced group from week to week. Their South 2 team travelling well so depth not an issue.

Beaumaris
vs
Old Melburnians

Old Scotch
vs
De La Salle

University Blues
vs
Old Brighton

Old Xaverians
vs
University Blacks

Fitzroy
vs
St Bedes/Mentone Tigers

This week's games ...

Tips for this week.

Beauy to squeeze over the line against a persistent OM's.

Old Scotch to defeat De La in the game of the year to date.

Uni Blues to beat Old Brighton

Old Xavs to keep the winning up with another victory against the Blacks.

Fitzroy to beat St.Bedes/Mentone Tigers in another tight game.

Interesting results on the weekend. No blowouts which was terrific. OM's looked to have improved. Xavs only won by 6 goals and Beauy/St Bedes are chugging along nicely.

In the game of the round (De La v Scotch) from all reports it seemed like it didn't dissapoint. Anyone at the game to comment on it?

Interesting results on the weekend. No blowouts which was terrific. OM's looked to have improved. Xavs only won by 6 goals and Beauy/St Bedes are chugging along nicely.

In the game of the round (De La v Scotch) from all reports it seemed like it didn't dissapoint. Anyone at the game to comment on it?

De La way too good early. Should have been over by half time but some poor kicking for goal kept Scotch in it. Great come back by Scotch in the second half and at one stage I think they got within 10 points.

VAFA HQ will be rubbing their hands together as some ‘major melee’ fines are dished out. A few players given reds but no reports. Both teams looked impressive and should figure in finals.

As mentioned a few weeks back the ladder should start settle down by round 5 and 6.

Interesting to see there is already a two game gap between 6 and 7 on the ladder.

OM's will win soon but it must concern Beauy in the way always coming from behind to win.

Fitzroy were disappointing but were missing Turner who is a significant player in their team.

Blacks improving week by week and looked to have pushed Xavs more than most.

Another good round of footy beckons. Lets hope it ain't as wet as last week.

Tips for this week:

Old Brighton vs Old Xavs - I'm scared what could happen here.....

St Bedes/Mentone vs Uni Blues - Should be a cracking match with 2 sides that could be fighting for the last spot in the 4 come September.... always hard to beat St Bedes down there as De La found out... St Bedes by 4 goals

Old Scotch vs Fitzroy - Scotch will want to be winning this one at home!

Uni Blacks vs Old Melburnians - Another great game on the cards here and I expect it to be a very close one with Blacks pulling away in the last!

De La Salle vs Beaumaris - Should be another game which will be tight for 3 quarters with home ground advantage being enough for De La to win

Also I was looking at the u19 Big V fixture for this year and it falls on round 12.... wasnt it a week off for all teams last year? could be interesting if sides are missing players for this round! Thoughts? and Thoughts on any players playing in our league that will get picked? as usually its just players who are playing seniors

makes garfield very happy to finally see DLS not using school kids this year.

i wonder how much of a difference it would of made the past two years if they didnt use school kids, definite flag bearers? i dont think so.

Loving every moment seeing De Las fall from grace:D:D:D:D:D:D

i wonder how much of a difference it would of made the past two years if they didnt use school kids, definite flag bearers? i dont think so.

Couldn't agree more. Finally the competition is back to normal, with Xavs taking their rightful place at the throne

A massive fall from grace. From first all the way to ………second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

De La are still playing school kids....

Didn’t know it was illegal. It’s an under 19 comp isn’t it? Actually today De La are going to roll out their entire year 9 team and top it up with a few grades 6 kids from the Primary School next door. They should be just about unbeatable!

With an APS bye today Collegians are actually playing a couple of yr 12s in their seniors today. Someone should let them know that you are not allowed to play school kids the VAFA and that you have to be an old boy. I mean what are they thinking trying to do develop some young talent and promote links between the school and the club.

Good to finally see a little bit of passion on the boards this year!!! I have watched these boards over the last 6 years and enjoyed the banter between the clubs. Most of the dribble comes from the bitter OX / De La rivallry , even if it is dribble it still gets me through the working week!

A comment if I may on the competition (if it can be described as that ) this year. The VAFA needs to complete a serious review into the promotion and demotion of sides from year to year. I know the Brighton discussion has been done to death , however they are making a joke of what truley is a great competition. The results from the weekend suggest that teams are on the improve and we may yet avoide a third year in a row of Xavs / De La domination!

Maybe some of the other clubs should look at De La and Xavs and find out what it takes to be consitantly successfull. Why is it these two clubs continue to set the bar in U19 football??

Its only Monday so a long week is ahead - lets get some discussion going and make sure I get to hump day alive and well, with my VAFA fix!

Good to finally see a little bit of passion on the boards this year!!! I have watched these boards over the last 6 years and enjoyed the banter between the clubs. Most of the dribble comes from the bitter OX / De La rivallry , even if it is dribble it still gets me through the working week!

A comment if I may on the competition (if it can be described as that ) this year. The VAFA needs to complete a serious review into the promotion and demotion of sides from year to year. I know the Brighton discussion has been done to death , however they are making a joke of what truley is a great competition. The results from the weekend suggest that teams are on the improve and we may yet avoide a third year in a row of Xavs / De La domination!

Maybe some of the other clubs should look at De La and Xavs and find out what it takes to be consitantly successfull. Why is it these two clubs continue to set the bar in U19 football??

Its only Monday so a long week is ahead - lets get some discussion going and make sure I get to hump day alive and well, with my VAFA fix!

Glad you enjoyed it. It would describe it more as banter between De La and Xavs. It is not a bitter rivalry but more a healthy respect as a consequence of both clubs being at the top of the U19 tree for a while. A look at the ladder suggests that it might will continue for another year at least. Other clubs or random posters looking for a bite generally provide the dribble. I have been far too easy to hook on occasions and have obliged them more than once. We do however get some good posters that find there way onto the 19s Premier board. Right Foot Sloth (A Uni Blues man perhaps?) always provides balanced and insightful comment.

I also have to agree re the De La argument that they play school boys is absurd – ITS AN U19 COMPETITION !!! As you said if you want to sign up your 8yr old brother and play him you’re allowed to. As long as everyone fits the birth criteria there is no argument!!

MUFF i think its time you let go!!!!

However – I am not convinced it is great for the Club in its entirety. Would I be wrong in saying De La would be disappointed that all their U19 dominance over the last decade hasn’t transpired to the ultimate success at senior level? Where is it going wrong?

I am hesitant to be too critical as an outsider but would be interested to hear the views of an local from Dairy Bell?

Glad you enjoyed it. It would describe it more as banter between De La and Xavs. It is not a bitter rivalry but more a healthy respect as a consequence of both clubs being at the top of the U19 tree for a while. A look at the ladder suggests that it might will continue for another year at least. Other clubs or random posters looking for a bite generally provide the dribble. I have been far too easy to hook on occasions and have obliged them more than once. We do however get some good posters that find there way onto the 19s Premier board. Right Foot Sloth (A Uni Blues man perhaps?) always provides balanced and insightful comment.

Thanks for the feedback Rooster. :)

The one sided nature of a lot of games needs to be addressed.

The problem is that the sides who come up generally struggle in their first year apart from Beauy and St.Bedes. Do they need to look at stablising the competition for two years ? Just like Jason Misfud from Beauy put foward in the Seniors ?

My personal thoughts are if Old Brighton had been replaced by Marcellin the results would have been very similar to date.

Anyway this week produced some good footy. With the first draw for 2011 between the Tigers and the Blues. Also the OM's boys celebrating their first win against the Blacks.

It appears that De La are back to suffocating sides with Beauy struggling to kick goals.

Scotch doing well against Fitzroy at Camberwell.

OX getting the job done at the Beach against Brighton.

As mentioned in earlier posts. The ladder will settle down a bit after six weeks. The Top 6 have 2 and a half break on the last four. It would be tough not impossible to see a team from the bottom four to make the finals at one third in.

I also have to agree re the De La argument that they play school boys is absurd – ITS AN U19 COMPETITION !!! As you said if you want to sign up your 8yr old brother and play him you’re allowed to. As long as everyone fits the birth criteria there is no argument!!

MUFF i think its time you let go!!!!

However – I am not convinced it is great for the Club in its entirety. Would I be wrong in saying De La would be disappointed that all their U19 dominance over the last decade hasn’t transpired to the ultimate success at senior level? Where is it going wrong?

I am hesitant to be too critical as an outsider but would be interested to hear the views of an local from Dairy Bell?

This has been done to death but only a handful of kids still at school play in the 19s. I’m told last year’s premiership team had 3.

De La is small school in comparison to most APS & AGSV schools. We rely almost entirely on development from within and don’t have the resources or networks to land the really big fish such as someone straight out of the AFL and we don’t have any ‘marque’ players on our list like some other clubs. For a number of years in fairly recent times we were an A & B yo-yo but on the back of some strong U19s and a focus on developing from within we are now one of the stronger and more respected clubs in 'A' grade. We have been very very close the last 2 years and only the exceptional efforts of Xavs stood between us. (Mind you they have also thwarted nearly everyone in the last 15 years) Many much larger schools languish in the lower grades and they would be envious of what we have achieved – eg Parade College 1800 + students but play in D2 and have no unders. So all things considered being able to dominate U19s and hold our own in the top section is pretty reasonable effort.

I have some thoughts on the U19 structure that I might save for another time.

Maybe you need to fix your grammar before becoming a successful 'poster' on this forum!?

Thanks for the tip Saha. I will be sure to proof read twice before posting next time . Wouldn’t want to offend !

Didn’t realise you had to be an English scholar to post on big footy.

Would all the other 9 teams mind if Brighton were to drop down tomorrow never to be seen again? Safe to say the club is a mess and does not belong in Premier anything....

Would all the other 9 teams mind if Brighton were to drop down tomorrow never to be seen again? Safe to say the club is a mess and does not belong in Premier anything....

Good call. Maybe let them play everyone once so % is fair for all but after round 9 they go back to South 1 even if it does create a bye. Current situation no good for the Brighton players and no good for the opposition.

How about in 2012 we go back to A, B, C and then 2 geographical divisions. Too many lopsided results through all grades at the moment and something needs to be done.

Didn’t know it was illegal. It’s an under 19 comp isn’t it? Actually today De La are going to roll out their entire year 9 team and top it up with a few grades 6 kids from the Primary School next door. They should be just about unbeatable!

With an APS bye today Collegians are actually playing a couple of yr 12s in their seniors today. Someone should let them know that you are not allowed to play school kids the VAFA and that you have to be an old boy. I mean what are they thinking trying to do develop some young talent and promote links between the school and the club.

Understand the sentiment, but pretty sure it was a TAC Cup bye, not an APS bye, so the young players in the Collegians side would have been from the Under 19s, not the APS side. Big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back