TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
We've had a million threads on underrated players. Whilst this category may overlap somewhat, it's more directed towards those younger players who have already made significant contributions or established important roles in their teams, but do not get the hype and recognition of some of the other so-called young guns out there.

I think Alex Johnson and Craig Bird are perfect examples for the Swans.

Johnson is only 20, but has held down a key spot in the league's best defence over the past 2 seasons. He has a very underrated disposal and seems to be rarely beaten one on one. Taken at pick 57 in the 2010 draft, he was initially a surprise selection into the team, but has never looked at of place and has remained in the team ever since.

Bird came into the team with a bit more fanfare, a product of the NSW scholarship program and inheriting the famous number 14. Injuries plagued some of his earlier seasons and he took a bit more time to find his place in the team. Now, however, he is Sydney's no. 1 tagger. In addition, he has proven to be a decent goal kicker and accumulator, with one of the best side steps in the game.

From Richmond Dylan Grimes is the obvious one. He's played to a very high level when he's managed to get on the field, but unfortunately two season ending injuries means he's only played ~15 games over the last 2 years.

In the clubs BnF he averaged the 4th most votes per game. Would've been right up there if he finished the season.

I'd say Whitecross or Breust for us.

Whitey has had a great season playing in every area on the ground depending on needs. Really took his chances in the middle earlier in the year.

I'm sure people rate Breust but he is much more than a goalsneak. Has gone through the middle at times and untacklable when there is even a tiny bit of space. Really toughened up after that hit against the crows. Deserves to be in the conversations of best small forwards in the game.

Whitecross has been great for the hawks. Im a big fan of Jacob Brennan and think he has been impressive so far. Hope there is alot more improvement in him.

We've had a million threads on underrated players. Whilst this category may overlap somewhat, it's more directed towards those younger players who have already made significant contributions or established important roles in their teams, but do not get the hype and recognition of some of the other so-called young guns out there.

I think Alex Johnson and Craig Bird are perfect examples for the Swans.

Johnson is only 20, but has held down a key spot in the league's best defence over the past 2 seasons. He has a very underrated disposal and seems to be rarely beaten one on one. Taken at pick 57 in the 2010 draft, he was initially a surprise selection into the team, but has never looked at of place and has remained in the team ever since.

Bird came into the team with a bit more fanfare, a product of the NSW scholarship program and inheriting the famous number 14. Injuries plagued some of his earlier seasons and he took a bit more time to find his place in the team. Now, however, he is Sydney's no. 1 tagger. In addition, he has proven to be a decent goal kicker and accumulator, with one of the best side steps in the game.

You guys seem to have a heap of these sorts, Nick Smith and Malceski are another two although I think most people rate Malceski by now.

Jeremy Laidler.

Great defensively against both talls and smalls and lead the club in 2011 for defensive 50 rebounds resulting in scores. Massive loss for us this year, but his addition to our back six in 2013 will be obvious.

I was utterly shocked by how good defensively both Laidler & Henderson were. Was really really impressed by both of them and definitely left a gaping whole in your backline.

From the Eagles, in a way Darling. Mainly because people forget he's only in his second year of football, the expectations are so high on him that if by chance he had a shocker people would be surprised and even annoyed at him. Deserves more love for what he's doing this early in his career, he's not even that big a player for a key forward position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Richmond Dylan Grimes is the obvious one. He's played to a very high level when he's managed to get on the field, but unfortunately two season ending injuries means he's only played ~15 games over the last 2 years.

In the clubs BnF he averaged the 4th most votes per game. Would've been right up there if he finished the season.

i love the dylbot. :thumbsu:

Jeremy Laidler.

Great defensively against both talls and smalls and lead the club in 2011 for defensive 50 rebounds resulting in scores. Massive loss for us this year, but his addition to our back six in 2013 will be obvious.

Yeah, losing Laidler was a massive loss for Geelong. Would have been a good potential replacement for Scarlett. Good to see he is beginning to do well at Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Undervalued young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back