VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

If you get say North Sunshine, Tarneit, Braybrook and Wyndham Suns all come at once, then the current D4 teams will have a lot more travel to do.

If the WRFL's third division goes, then there is the possibility is that up to 4-6 clubs could seek admission.

Westbourne might like that but Masala, St John's and Eley Park might not.

If you get say North Sunshine, Tarneit, Braybrook and Wyndham Suns all come at once, then the current D4 teams will have a lot more travel to do.

If the WRFL's third division goes, then there is the possibility is that up to 4-6 clubs could seek admission.

Westbourne might like that but Masala, St John's and Eley Park might not.
I doubt that they would all be successful with their submission applications.
Still?

Suns won't. They would rank 5-6 in WRFL div2 and would properly slot in mid to top D1 here - if they could retain their paid playing list, which they couldn't.

In any case I can confidently assert that given the treatment of the club in 2014 by the VAFA, as long as the dawn continues to break in the east, the prevailing attitude would be best indicated by raised middle fingers.

I will add that in my time not 1 Combine player has been approached to come to Ormond , it's not our way to go after players from a lower ranked club , we are not a Beaumaris . 1player returned last year , but he was an ormond junior right through and got a chance to play senior footy .
The player who came 2nd in the Combine's best and fairest only left for the same reason and that was to also play senior footy , which he said he wouldn't have got a look in . No hard feelings from either side and people were genuinely pleased for him .
No one is against the Combine , good luck to them and there are enough kids for all 3 clubs mentioned to have an under 19s , it's the obsession with having 2 or more .
Well then surely you should be having a go at all the clubs with more than one under 19’s then? Pretty sure clubs like Canterbury, Richmond Central, Hawthorn, Wattle Park, Swinburne etc etc would love all the private schools that surround them be restricted in how many 19’s teams they can have, along with under 23’s.

Maybe look at an issue as something competition wide rather than sooking about a club with a better recruiting strategy than you.

Well then surely you should be having a go at all the clubs with more than one under 19’s then? Pretty sure clubs like Canterbury, Richmond Central, Hawthorn, Wattle Park, Swinburne etc etc would love all the private schools that surround them be restricted in how many 19’s teams they can have, along with under 23’s.

Maybe look at an issue as something competition wide rather than sooking about a club with a better recruiting strategy than you.
Have always said there should be a restriction , one prominent school wanted 4 19s but were denied and then approached a local club to play it as . 2 should be the max .
Don't know how you can say better recruiting , it's coming from under 17s from 2 clubs with pressure from the school for it to be old boys . Most of our juniors are from McKinnon and DLS that's just life and a fact .

There's a strong rumour that the unprincipled recruiting by Glen Eira will mean the Monders are unlikely to be able to field an U19 team in 2023.

Surely, the VAFA admin can't just turn a blind eye to the allegation a club used the gift of meals and beverages to entice a significant number of impressionable kids from another club thereby effectively wrecking that club's junior ranks.
Hi AM,
Hope you had a great weekend.
Would you mind contacting the Ormond Committee and check if they have provided any prospective under 19s the gift of meals or beverages to entice players from the junior football club to the Senior football club.
I look forward to your response.

Hi AM,
Would you mind contacting the Ormond Committee and check if they have provided any prospective under 19s the gift of meals or beverages to entice players from the junior football club to the Senior football club.

Can’t wait for the response and what would be wrong with a welcome to the senior club. I hear the relationship between the two bodies is outstanding , not like others .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Seems like the divisional league structures won't be announced until March with all this bickering as to which teams are coming and going from D3 and D4

Hi AM,
Just so you know Mr. Combine Ormond every year provides the trophies for the junior clubs Under 16s and 17s as well as a function to welcome the players to the senior group . We are not underhanded like your mob , our senior coach works at the school and is restricted with contact to even Ormond kids

Last edited:
Can’t wait for the response and what would be wrong with a welcome to the senior club. I hear the relationship between the two bodies is outstanding , not like others .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I concur with this , both clubs have a great relationship , constantly working together for the better of all , something Mr Combine wouldn't have a clue about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Combine do you remember how Ormond conspired with other clubs to prevent GE from having junior teams. Oh that was for the better of all. Long memories.
Go to OPSM champ how many times do i have to tell you that OAFC NEVER had an issue with the combine have Auskick or Juniors , no one should be stopped doing that . It was 5 junior clubs plus the SMJFL that stopped it as the 5 clubs are within 5 k's of one another and your an amalgamation of about 10 clubs .

Hi AM,
Hope your weekend was filled with joy too, my Old McKinnon:rolleyes: amigo. You're very good at distraction. Not so much on apprehension, perhaps, maybe, could be, possibly........... I've said I have no connection to the club. You may have noticed there is a prolific poster here who is. Who has, I notice, responded.

If the Monders had induced a dozen or so impressionable kids to move en masse from a club to which they were committed and did so knowing that the club they were pillaging would almost certainly be unable to field a side as a direct result, I'd be as critical in that case. Have they?

You might also inquire as to whether the movers-n-shakers are contemplating having a gander at the substantive matter. No more than a rumour.

What went wrong with the whole Monash Gryphons merger?
A club with access to 18 and 19 year old students that should have meant little trouble forming an Under 19s team.
I have no connection with either Glen Eira or Ormond, but from what I can recall when Glen Eira merged with Monash Gryphons almost all connection to Monash was lost, hence there isn't a flurry of students coming in.

I have no connection with either Glen Eira or Ormond, but from what I can recall when Glen Eira merged with Monash Gryphons almost all connection to Monash was lost, hence there isn't a flurry of students coming in.
And how dumb was that , so total mismanagement at the time ,oops we f'd up , lets raid other clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back