VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

All ressie umpires were seen as biased. I loved being called a cheat when you weren't even umpiring your own team.

Best cheat of an umpire was a former professional umpire who would never hand over and boxed you into a corner, never giving you a chance to make any decisions.

Nearly had a fight with an umpire one day, and I wasn't even umpiring OI.

Max "two eyes open" Leader

Yep, had the same issues goal umpiring seniors as a club umpire, most just simply don’t make any effort to get into position yet I’d get called a cheat when I did it properly!

Had interesting experiences last season field umpiring in another comp where I was an official umpire and the home team provided a club umpire.

Yep, had the same issues goal umpiring seniors as a club umpire, most just simply don’t make any effort to get into position yet I’d get called a cheat when I did it properly!

Had interesting experiences last season field umpiring in another comp where I was an official umpire and the home team provided a club umpire.
Good on you mate, the umpires don't get enough appreciation, without them we have no games.

Maybe the girls should form they're own competition if not happy . How many girls are umps , maybe the sooks should go out and recruit girls to umpire .
hey Bedford do you feel threatened by women in football ? are you feeling less of a "footy head" due to many many many female players knowing more about the game than you do ?

Faukt with all of this lays with HQ, no recuitment budget for years, no increase in investment in umpiring coaching and basically they treat people like trash. Dont blame the womens comp for wanting their game to be treated seriously .

hey Bedford do you feel threatened by women in football ? are you feeling less of a "footy head" due to many many many female players knowing more about the game than you do ?

Faukt with all of this lays with HQ, no recuitment budget for years, no increase in investment in umpiring coaching and basically they treat people like trash. Dont blame the womens comp for wanting their game to be treated seriously .
TheArmy you and other posters/readers here, may be interested in the first 5 mins 30 seconds of Scatters chat with a VAFA media employee on Sunday night. Pretty shocking way to speak to the great VAFA media man in Scatters, this VAFA bloke is kidding himself if he thinks he's important. I tried to upload but I can only have it so that if you click the OneDrive link you can listen.

Love the womens footy , but they need to recruit female umps . Everyone is suffering with the lack of umps and they need to be patient like the rest of us.

Love the womens footy , but they need to recruit female umps . Everyone is suffering with the lack of umps and they need to be patient like the rest of us.
Have to agree with Bedders on this one.

Having been heavily involved in the women’s program for a couple of years, it needs to pull its weight. It needs to help the comp as the “men” did when the women’s comp first started.

The women need to get their own umpires as the men have. Now that’s being equal.

At the end of the day we are all playing VAFA football. Everyone needs to contribute. Stop saying men this and women that.

I day jut shut up and be part of the solution,not a part of whinny complaining group.

Max “will back in-green in 4 weeks after I get ok from the knee surgeon” Leader

Powerhouse v OLD PARADIANS

more a surprise, never seen volunteers only paid folk.
Huh ? Can’t be sure if you’re having a potshot or not. For the record, we provided a boundary umpire for both matches, a field umpire for the 2s and goal umpire for the 2s. Am I missing something ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we need more umpires to officiate more players .... gender need not enter into it.

If the VAFA can't facilitate total numbers then some flexibility is required by ALL to spread the opportunity and growth of the game in ALL divisions within the VAFA. The ongoing divide between the haves v the have nots continues to grow and the end result is likely a smaller number of clubs playing in the VAFA, most likely many district clubs moving to regionally based leagues.

Being told to find your own umpires due to your 'division' or 'gender' smacks of elitism at its finest. We were allocated 2 x field umpires (senior mens game) from 5 sides competing on the day.........challenging to find volunteers that's for sure.

Chump.

Last edited:
What a silly post, the VAFA have been amazing promoting the women's game. Brett Connell and his team have been under the pump trying to keep everyone happy with limited resources, sh*t canning them helps no-one. Perhaps you can blow the whistle this weekend?
How am I shit canning them by reporting on a post going around?

In the NFNL where I watch most of my footy they provide all umpires for all grades.

More effort needs to be put in to find umpires via cash incentives.

All leagues struggling atm.

NFL this year are really struggling and not providing all umpires for all grades. 19s and women's teams are having to supply boundary and goal

NFL must be the only league to actually supply goals and boundaries to reserves and 19s?

Must be a lot of doubling or even tripling up?

EFL are unable to even fill all senior games with goals or boundaries this year and they wanted clubs to supply field umpires for reserves but was knocked back by league. So now senior umpires must run the 19s or reserves first most weeks before their senior game. Not exactly the best preparation for senior matches which should be the priority.

VAFA always having club umpires for reserves is a much better policy and far more manageable

In the NFNL where I watch most of my footy they provide all umpires for all grades.

Unfortunately it's a bit like the shambles of a vaccine rollout. You can't provide what you don't have. For the likes of boundary and goal umpires, perhaps the VAFA could provide a cash incentive to the clubs to find their own officials. It's got to be tough as an organisation constantly going back to the well, and trying to attract new blood, so maybe say to the clubs "if you can find someone to do the boundary, we will offer you $x off your fees". I think it would be easier for each individual club to recruit from within. Finding a young boy or girl to run the boundary for $30-$40 wouldn't be that hard i don't reckon.

There will be no less than 375 games of VAFA football this weekend, I suggest the NFNL would be nowhere near this?

Whether people like it or not, the pre-eminent grade is Premier, where they must have the full quota of umpires. It would be like the AFL asking a club water person to run the boundary at the ‘G’ if they don’t look after Premier section.

If that compromises some lower level or women’s games then so be it.

There will be no less than 375 games of VAFA football this weekend, I suggest the NFNL would be nowhere near this?

Whether people like it or not, the pre-eminent grade is Premier, where they must have the full quota of umpires. It would be like the AFL asking a club water person to run the boundary at the ‘G’ if they don’t look after Premier section.

I’ve never understood the argument the VAFA needs the most umpires hence can’t fill it.
If you are the biggest league you should have the largest administration and largest umpire base to match.

NFL must be the only league to actually supply goals and boundaries to reserves and 19s?

Must be a lot of doubling or even tripling up?

EFL are unable to even fill all senior games with goals or boundaries this year and they wanted clubs to supply field umpires for reserves but was knocked back by league. So now senior umpires must run the 19s or reserves first most weeks before their senior game. Not exactly the best preparation for senior matches which should be the priority.

VAFA always having club umpires for reserves is a much better policy and far more manageable
I know most Goalies used to do a lot of double ups in the NFNL. The younger ones would do 19s and Reserves, the senior guys reserves and seniors. If you were really unlucky you did the split double - 19s and Seniors

Doubling up for field umpires is insane, can't believe umpires would be okay with that.

Not sure where you got 375 from? 37 competitions x 5 games a round (approx) is 185. You are right that the NFNL is no where near this, probably 40-50 games. However, the VAFA have around ~65 clubs compared to the NFNL ~30 as well as a far greater population reach given the size and spread of the league.

Agree with the rest of your point though.

I know most Goalies used to do a lot of double ups in the NFNL. The younger ones would do 19s and Reserves, the senior guys reserves and seniors. If you were really unlucky you did the split double - 19s and Seniors

Doubling up for field umpires is insane, can't believe umpires would be okay with that.

Not sure where you got 375 from? 37 competitions x 5 games a round (approx) is 185. You are right that the NFNL is no where near this, probably 40-50 games. However, the VAFA have around ~65 clubs compared to the NFNL ~30 as well as a far greater population reach given the size and spread of the league.

Agree with the rest of your point though.
The nfnl also have a huge number of junior umpires to fill. The point remains if your opening up a big Bussiness you need staff to fill.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back