VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpire appointments are out for this week.

Only 1 game in each of Prem B Reserve and Prem C Reserve with a VAFA umpire, the rest none...

All bar 1 game across the entire Prem, Prem B and Prem C Women's reserves have a VAFA umpire, some have 2!

The nfnl also have a huge number of junior umpires to fill. The point remains if your opening up a big Bussiness you need staff to fill.
Good point although a lot double up through with a game Saturday and then 1-2 on Sunday. I wonder if the VAFA Umpires have any relationship with the YJFL umpires. Would be a good start.

The efficacy or otherwise of umpires doubling up for reserves or 19s is always a hotly contested debate. (My earlier references to doubling up meant two separate games on different days, eg doing a Sunday game as well.) It's been discussed extensively here before.

The lower echelons of WRFL usually have umpires doing both reserves and seniors, and in my not so humble opinion it's a PITA. It takes a lot of physical and mental fitness to maintain pace and concentration for two games. By half time in the seniors the fieldies can be well behind the play, the poor kids on boundary can barely throw in (especially into a wind), the kids or nuffies in goal are still kids or nuffies but slower. Four times out of five, we would be far better off with club umpires and maybe one fieldie in the reserves so that we can have fresh bodies running out for the seniors.

But it allows the WRFL to crow about covering every game.

I stress that there are some umpires who put up a creditable performance doing both, but they are in the minority. When we get two panels for the day it's not too bad, of course.

(My judgement may be clouded because I'd much rather be a club goalie than the timekeeper.)

I know that most VAFA umpires will double up in Premier Thirds and Premier Reserves most weeks.

As someone who boundary umpires when required, I can tell you it can be quite taxing and I couldn't imagine doing two games straight, that's for sure! Kudos to those who do it, but this should be the exception rather than the standard practice.

I never minded the 19s to Seniors double up, but Seniors-Reserves was always a killer only done very rarely at finals time.

Became especially difficult if a report occurred in reserves game! But there just isn’t an opportunity to do paperwork when most games run out the second the previous game ends. Plus you need a chance to recover, mind to have a break and opportunity to shift focus to next game.

I never minded the 19s to Seniors double up, but Seniors-Reserves was always a killer only done very rarely at finals time.

Yup. First week of finals, I don't know what Jellybean did to annoy Barnesy but he got five games - Fri night plus two doubleups on the weekend. :)

Yup. First week of finals, I don't know what Jellybean did to annoy Barnesy but he got five games - Fri night plus two doubleups on the weekend. :)

Lucky I never upset him them!!!

Although I’m personally undecided on finals double ups, back to back seniors and reserves sucks but then again so does Saturday at St Bernard’s and Sunday at Elsternwick!!!

Pay the VAFA umpires more than the other leagues , that could attract more ?
If as much promotion had of gone into attracting umpires as the waste of a Season "lets pat ourselves on the back"Launch we might have a few more.

Pay the VAFA umpires more than the other leagues , that could attract more ?
If as much promotion had of gone into attracting umpires as the waste of a Season "lets pat ourselves on the back"Launch we might have a few more.

It’s already comfortably the best paid league for umpires. It’s the travel that stops them attracting more umpires

Good point although a lot double up through with a game Saturday and then 1-2 on Sunday. I wonder if the VAFA Umpires have any relationship with the YJFL umpires. Would be a good start.
YJFL has been a massive recruitment avenue for years, VAFA biggest issue has not just been recruitment but retaining umps year to year.. many leave due to no real engaged coaching below the premier squad. top 30 get nation wife best coaching below AFL, 19s Dev (those seen to be a prospect for top section umpiring of future get fantastic coaching .. it's the ones in the middle which makes up the largest section in terms of numbers they don't get a lot of coaching and a lack of match day observations, so not everyone can get to A grade and therefore after a couple of years many feel they have no path. (umpiring just for the love of it is one thing but if that's what drives you, you are more likely to go to a local suburban comp less travel and due to less total numbers you'll get no less coaching... Umps come from all over Metro and outer metro Melb .. It's a hard thing to solve but it requires VAFAHQ to invest, support, value and sustain those efforts. the absolute bare minimum has been spent in past few years, Staff coaches and the like going well above and beyond to make it go round ... remember the comp doubled the competition overnight with women's and added zero to umpire coaching or recruitment.. and left it to coaches and senior umpires to make the show go on.. and they made it happen but it took it's toll and then with HQ not supporting people many left add to zero recutient and eventually this problem was going to come out.. it has zero to do with Covid ..

Hi all,

I dont want to come across as rude but this is a genuine question. Can anyone tell me the point of the VAFA reporters/journos that summarise the weekends game? I'm talking specifically about the divisions more so. It's essentially a summary of what the clubs enters as goal kickers and best players, along with a quick read of quarter by quarter scores. I can appreciate the fact it helps with a few aspects, such as professionalism etc but overall I feel like it's a bit of a waste of time as most people can simply check the scores and figure it out for themselves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

I dont want to come across as rude but this is a genuine question. Can anyone tell me the point of the VAFA reporters/journos that summarise the weekends game? I'm talking specifically about the divisions more so. It's essentially a summary of what the clubs enters as goal kickers and best players, along with a quick read of quarter by quarter scores. I can appreciate the fact it helps with a few aspects, such as professionalism etc but overall I feel like it's a bit of a waste of time as most people can simply check the scores and figure it out for themselves
Interestingly, I've been told that a scribe has wanted to do more with their allocated section in previous years - actually go to one match per week and give a more detailed summation of the game and maybe interview a coach or something. Was told, just to keep it simple...

Interestingly, I've been told that a scribe has wanted to do more with their allocated section in previous years - actually go to one match per week and give a more detailed summation of the game and maybe interview a coach or something. Was told, just to keep it simple...
The fabric of the VAFA is being eaten away slowly in a lot of areas, the latest being the weekly record.

Unlike the AFL where their weekly record has been replaced by a comprehensive live match day website with all sorts of statistics, live in stadium scoreboard experience and radio coverage, the VAFA’s only real connection to the average punter was with the record.

Many journalists had their start writing for the VAFA community, including people like Andrew Wu. Their passion and input was well received and reciprocated by fans and clubs alike.

The ‘On this day’ piece was always something to look back on fondly, be it past players or clubs.

Now apparently you can download it 😂 How does that work? Good luck with that my friends. You can’t even read the ****ing scores on the website on a Saturday night!

On another point, I was in a mates car on Saturday, we wanted to have a listen to the VAFA game but couldn’t find it anywhere because his late model car doesn’t have digital radio! FMD.

Too many people at VAFA HQ who think they are smart don’t know how to read the room, sadly it’s now a case of the haves and have nots, which is what the VAFA has NEVER been. So much for community football and family friendly centric supporters.

Hopefully these people at HQ move on soon........

Last edited:
Scribes can only print what clubs share with them. If clubs don’t offer them a match report, what are they supposed to write? I’m sure the scribes contact each club every week for a summary...

And as for the record, it’s been dying a slow death.
I’m 52 years old and I’ve worked out how to use a digital radio app and connect it to my car. It’s pretty simple if you’ve got half a brain and the willingness to ask someone how it’s done.

The fabric of the VAFA is being eaten away slowly in a lot of areas, the latest being the weekly record.

Unlike the AFL where their weekly record has been replaced by a comprehensive live match day website with all sorts of statistics, live in stadium scoreboard experience and radio coverage, the VAFA’s only real connection to the average punter was with the record.

Many journalists had their start writing for the VAFA community, including people like Andrew Wu. Their passion and input was well received and reciprocated by fans and clubs alike.

The ‘On this day’ piece was always something to look back on fondly, be it past players or clubs.

Now apparently you can download it 😂 How does that work? Good luck with that my friends. You can’t even read the ******* scores on the website on a Saturday night!

On another point, I was in a mates car on Saturday, we wanted to have a listen to the VAFA game but couldn’t find it anywhere because his late model car doesn’t have digital radio! FMD.

Too many people at VAFA HQ who think they are smart don’t know how to read the room, sadly it’s now a case of the haves and have nots, which is what the VAFA has NEVER been. So much for community football and family friendly centric supporters.

Hopefully these people at HQ move on soon........

A lot of the oldies come to me weekly to find out whats going on. I'm 71 and tell them I don't know how to start a computer. There should be some hard copies to pass around to us luddites.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back