VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Random question but are Uni blues and blacks based out the same uni!? Do they sorta just run completely seperate?
Yep, both based out of Melbourne Uni and are the remnants of the Melbourne University Football Club that played in the VFL pre WW1. Post WW1 MUFC split into two - Blues and Blacks - and played in the VFL reserve comp and then both clubs moved to the Ammos we now know.

Yep, both based out of Melbourne Uni and are the remnants of the Melbourne University Football Club that played in the VFL pre WW1. Post WW1 MUFC split into two - Blues and Blacks - and played in the VFL reserve comp and then both clubs moved to the Ammos we now know.
Is it just all out warfare for new players? It’s seems strange how they manage 2 clubs on one campus

So when did Uni Reds become (or were amalgamated with) Fitzroy?
They split from the Uni in 1997 and became the Fitzroy Reds. The merged with the Fitzroy Football Club at the end of 2008 and have operated as the 'Fitzroy Football Club Ltd incorporating Fitzroy Reds' since the 2009 season.

It's all explained in much more detail than anyone could ever need over on the Fitzroy club forum.

Saw on social media that Old Xavs had 120 on the track at U19s training. Crazy. 3 sides each for them, SKOB and StB, plus a few clubs with 2 sides. Hard to imagine many, if any, local clubs in the rest of the city that can field 2 x U19s teams, let alone 3.

Not a slight on those clubs, but it just goes to show how strong the 'old boys' brand is and the power of the school name. Makes it tough for community clubs.

Completely understand that 18/19yos predominantly want to play with their mates, which is the case here more often than not, and I guess the game is better off for having these kids play, than not, but it still amazes me as someone that grew up in the DVFL where the dynamic is different.

Saw on social media that Old Xavs had 120 on the track at U19s training. Crazy. 3 sides each for them, SKOB and StB, plus a few clubs with 2 sides. Hard to imagine many, if any, local clubs in the rest of the city that can field 2 x U19s teams, let alone 3.

Not a slight on those clubs, but it just goes to show how strong the 'old boys' brand is and the power of the school name. Makes it tough for community clubs.

Completely understand that 18/19yos predominantly want to play with their mates, which is the case here more often than not, and I guess the game is better off for having these kids play, than not, but it still amazes me as someone that grew up in the DVFL where the dynamic is different.
A little birdie tells me SKOB have four under 19 teams this year and three women’s teams. All clubs work hard, regardless of one team or more, some are just bigger than others.

I do find it interesting, however, that SKOB and OX, without girls at their school, have massive women’s programmes compared to co-ed old schools old collegians teams, why is this?

A little birdie tells me SKOB have four under 19 teams this year and three women’s teams. All clubs work hard, regardless of one team or more, some are just bigger than others.

I do find it interesting, however, that SKOB and OX, without girls at their school, have massive women’s programmes compared to co-ed old schools old collegians teams, why is this?

No doubt they work hard, but what a luxury to have a talent pool that large just filter in every year!

It's a fair point you make. Anecdotally, having seen through the Kew JFC, I think a lot of girls from Genezzano and MLC, once they finish juniors, are finding their way to Old Xavs. Again, as I understand there's a 'relationship' (for lack of a better term) of sorts between those Kew/Hawthorn all-boys and all-girls private schools (ie you send your son to Xavier/Trinity and your daughter to MLC/Genezzano). I could be way off though...?

I think given Women's footy has only boomed in the last 5 years or so, any female over the age of about 20-21 would most likely not have had a strong association with a junior or senior club, therefore they've picked clubs based on friendships, brothers, partners etc. meaning any club could have benefited without needing a girls program - be it school or junior footy.

Edit: Xavier and Genezzano are brother/sister schools

Last edited:

Believe there is 8 clubs in the VAFA with at least 2 under 19 sides. Scotch, Williamstown, De La, Bernards, Xavs, Skevs, Mazenod, St bedes. Its a huge effort from these clubs.

No doubt they work hard, but what a luxury to have a talent pool that large just filter in every year!

It's a fair point you make. Anecdotally, having seen through the Kew JFC, I think a lot of girls from Genezzano and MLC, once they finish juniors, are finding their way to Old Xavs. Again, as I understand there's a 'relationship' (for lack of a better term) of sorts between those Kew/Hawthorn all-boys and all-girls private schools (ie you send your son to Xavier/Trinity and your daughter to MLC/Genezzano). I could be way off though...?

I think given Women's footy has only boomed in the last 5 years or so, any female over the age of about 20-21 would most likely not have had a strong association with a junior or senior club, therefore they've picked clubs based on friendships, brothers, partners etc. meaning any club could have benefited without needing a girls program - be it school or junior footy.

Edit: Xavier and Genezzano are brother/sister schools

Teachers has been another good recruiting tool for all boys schools.

Just wanted to bring up some comments about umpire availability in Premier C strand. Is it correct that for the first time in living memory no boundaries appointed in Premier C? Also some women's/thirds games without one VAFA umpire? If even half true what is the point of expanding the competitions beyond what you can service? As well did I glean that all the VAFUA coaching staff salaries are paid by the VAFA clubs [yes the 70 odd clubs chipping in again] and not by the umpires association themselves??? Would love an answer to this?

Financially the VAFA would have budgeted for "X" expenditure for umpires which of course is paid by the clubs. Big savings I smell for the VAFA in 2021. But of course the savings will be passed back to the clubs - FAT F CHANCE. Just another reason why the VAFA Admin/Board are a disgrace asking clubs for full affiliation fees for 2021 keeping in mind that Job Keeper has been kicking in for 5 months as well as the clubs 100% ASK.

It is a double blow for clubs that would now have to pay extra to get people to field/boundary in some cases.

I can just see the broad smile of the VAFA Admin, the Treasurer mighty Mick and the Board announcing a profit in 2021 at the AGM based on clubs financial hardships. We straightened the ship and back on track!

WAKE UP CLUBS
YOU ARE GETTING STICHED
THE OPEN EYE

:thumbsdown::mad:

Just wanted to bring up some comments about umpire availability in Premier C strand. Is it correct that for the first time in living memory no boundaries appointed in Premier C? Also some women's/thirds games without one VAFA umpire? If even half true what is the point of expanding the competitions beyond what you can service? As well did I glean that all the VAFUA coaching staff salaries are paid by the VAFA clubs [yes the 70 odd clubs chipping in again] and not by the umpires association themselves??? Would love an answer to this?

Financially the VAFA would have budgeted for "X" expenditure for umpires which of course is paid by the clubs. Big savings I smell for the VAFA in 2021. But of course the savings will be passed back to the clubs - FAT F CHANCE. Just another reason why the VAFA Admin/Board are a disgrace asking clubs for full affiliation fees for 2021 keeping in mind that Job Keeper has been kicking in for 5 months as well as the clubs 100% ASK.

It is a double blow for clubs that would now have to pay extra to get people to field/boundary in some cases.

I can just see the broad smile of the VAFA Admin, the Treasurer mighty Mick and the Board announcing a profit in 2021 at the AGM based on clubs financial hardships. We straightened the ship and back on track!

WAKE UP CLUBS
YOU ARE GETTING STICHED
THE OPEN EYE

the VAFAUA is not a functional operation they are a union that represents the umpires re pay and safety etc and also provides a social environment and the UA is funded via umpires paying money to join.

VAFA are the employees and it's their job to pay umpires and also to provide coaching and facilities to train and improve . the VAFAUA are not a football club.

Last edited:
the VAFAUA is not a functional cooperation they are a union that represents the umpires re pay and safety etc and also provides a social environment and the UA is funded via umpires paying money to join.

VAFA are the employees and it's their job to pay umpires and also to provide coaching and facilities to train and improve . the VAFAUA are not a football club.

Ummmm Touchy

So it's true clubs pay the umpires, their coaching staff, the power bill etc? So are they a member club? Do they get a vote at the AGM? So clubs provide it all - bet many clubs are totally unaware of this.

Perhaps all of the 3 appointed Prem A umpires from the uni Blues Sunday game could back up and do a women's reserves games/thirds game on the Saturday to help out the clubs that provide EVERYTHING for them?

THE OPEN EYE
:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WAKE UP CLUBS
YOU ARE GETTING STICHED
THE OPEN EYE

Every single league is having massive issues with umpires this season as after a year off getting abused every single week, many people have decided they don’t want to go back to giving up their weekends for ungrateful players and spectators. The same people who’ll now whinge that there aren’t enough umpires anymore.

Really? I wonder why?

Every single league is having massive issues with umpires this season as after a year off getting abused every single week, many people have decided they don’t want to go back to giving up their weekends for ungrateful players and spectators. The same people who’ll now whinge that there aren’t enough umpires anymore.

Really? I wonder why?
Failing to understand the issues the VAFA umpires and VAFAUA have raised for 5 to 7 years .. lack of coaching, poor payment in terms of paying them when they say they will, lack of care and respect and that is from the VAFAHQ .. VAFA clubs are fantastic and it's VAFA clubs holding this all together . VAFA HQ and it's board have caused these issues ..

let's now talk about the two times that the VAFA rep teams plane tickets and uinform was paid for instead of paying the umps what was owed to them .... VAFA are basically broke.

Really? I wonder why?
again what recruitment was done over past 7 years ?? what $$ was spent on recruitment ?? and we bugger all.

Ummmm Touchy

So it's true clubs pay the umpires, their coaching staff, the power bill etc? So are they a member club? Do they get a vote at the AGM? So clubs provide it all - bet many clubs are totally unaware of this.

Perhaps all of the 3 appointed Prem A umpires from the uni Blues Sunday game could back up and do a women's reserves games/thirds game on the Saturday to help out the clubs that provide EVERYTHING for them?

THE OPEN EYE
:D
VAFA pay for ground bills with everything else now 50/50 with OMs. when you go to work do you pay for your internal training courses and do you pay for the companies bills (except if you are a company owner) Umps are paid to umpire.. If clubs want a comp and need umps this is their cost not the umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back