VFL VFL 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to really summarise that. I missed first qtr and bit. First half we couldn’t cope with casey (who to be fair was very strong). Kicking under pressure all the time meant no hope to score. Down by 40 at half.

Second half we broke even though which was good effort. big change was putting Dempsey in the middle and phoenix to back line (swapping with ‘Byrne who kicked 2 in the third)

hard to have too many positives in a game we were never in…

Dempsey second half was amazing and might change people’s mind about persisting with him as only a forward. In one half on the ball he has 23 possessions, 8 clearances, 4 tackles. 32 possessions for the game to go with the first goal. That is now 3 games in a row where he was our best.

menegola got through uninjured…played wing and in the middle. Looks like he needs a few more runs but he is back at least

Knevitt good in first half. I like him

mullin finds the ball and ted was also good in first half.
‘’Parfitt is going to be a mid 20-30 possession player in vfl. But not damaging enough. A very good vfl player though.

i didn’t mind phoenix behind the ball. A few blues but some good things too

scratcher didn’t get much of a look but got through ok. Needs a good month at it

Herbert knows how to find the ball too.

other than that not a long of positives tonight. But Casey will a full team like that will be top 2 or 3 at end of the year. Cats are struggling to be top 10

Didn't see any of the game... but what is the go with playing Hardie forward?

I get that we might want him to add more strings to his bow but surely we didn't recruit him to play forward.
I wonder tonight whether the fact that Dempsey went in and lit it up, they changed the plans? Dempsey was either in middle or off for a break in that second half. That would not have been planned. So maybe he took Hardie rotation?

of course opening for Dempsey was that we were getting beaten so easy in first half? i didn’t see much of it so maybe Hardie has his shot and didn’t play well? Others will know

Dempsey is on fire. It's time to give him the next 3 full games at AFL level and see if he can make a run at our best 22.

Dont see that happening given our ladder position.

Dempsey is on fire. It's time to give him the next 3 full games at AFL level and see if he can make a run at our best 22.
I would love to agree with you. But I suspect he is is suffering from the fact that they will back in those ahead of him given the chance to get on a roll. They are still playing for 2023 and not future.

Also, up until tonight they had pegged him as HHF and frankly he is behind the AFL team (can’t think of who he replaces). Tonight, probably out of desperation, they moved him into the MF and he happened to star. If they had of done that a month ago maybe he would have got a spot in the AFL MF then!

I suspect he just needs to suck it up and keep kicking down that door in the VFL. Over long term does him no harm. If he was playing AFL last night as sub he certainly wouldn't have got a shot in MF and up until the last qtr may have been starved… VFL this week helped him - maybe altering the narrative

What I saw in the second half surprised me - and I was already on the banwagon - lets see what they do with him from here

I would love to agree with you. But I suspect he is is suffering from the fact that they will back in those ahead of him given the chance to get on a roll. They are still playing for 2023 and not future.

Also, up until tonight they had pegged him as HHF and frankly he is behind the AFL team (can’t think of who he replaces). Tonight, probably out of desperation, they moved him into the MF and he happened to star. If they had of done that a month ago maybe he would have got a spot in the AFL MF then!

I suspect he just needs to suck it up and keep kicking down that door in the VFL. Over long term does him no harm. If he was playing AFL last night as sub he certainly wouldn't have got a shot in MF and up until the last qtr may have been starved… VFL this week helped him - maybe altering the narrative

What I saw in the second half surprised me - and I was already on the banwagon - lets see what they do with him from here
I didn't watch but sounds like his half in the midfield surpassed anything Bowes has done this year. He can also start forward. I think there's scope to give him a full game with Cameron going out

He was played in the midfield late last season and performed well, particularly in a game against Port Melbourne. I think they see his future as a forward who can also take on a midfield role occasionally.

He has only had two AFL games this year, both as a sub, and has only played a couple of quarters. He needs and deserves a few full games. Round 17 against North and Round 18 against Essendon would be suitable, perhaps replacing a resting Rohan or O. Henry. The coaches/match committee should consider this as a priority, in my opinion.

I didn't watch but sounds like his half in the midfield surpassed anything Bowes has done this year. He can also start forward. I think there's scope to give him a full game with Cameron going out

They will bring sav back instead (though i dont like it)

He was played in the midfield late last season and performed well, particularly in a game against Port Melbourne. I think they see his future as a forward who can also take on a midfield role occasionally.

He has only had two AFL games this year, both as a sub, and has only played a couple of quarters. He needs and deserves a few full games. Round 17 against North and Round 18 against Essendon would be suitable, perhaps replacing a resting Rohan or O. Henry. The coaches/match committee should consider this as a priority, in my opinion.
100%, he’s a Steve Johnson type. He’s progressing nicely and there’s no need to rush him. He was very raw when he arrived and has developing quickly, I think he has potential to be an All Australian level player in a couple of years.
He, Knevitt and Mullin are very exciting prospects. I like the look of foster too

Saw most of the first half. Pretty frustrating watch, the team did OK in winning contests against a way older/experienced/better Melbourne side inside D50 and in the midfield but relentlessly turned it over, either trying to exit D50 or entering inside 50. Partly it's because of injuries but did emphasise our lack of young half backs and half forwards.

Thought Neale was good with limited opportunities, the goal he kicked was sensational. Parfitt's game was notably better than other times I've seen him this year, still turned it over by foot too much but was also willing to take more aggressive kicks that opened up the ground and avoided Tomlinson et al camped behind the ball. Hardie didn't get stacks of it but looks really comfortable at this level, one of those players who has time and makes consistently good decisions.

Probably the most notable thing was that Knevitt played predominantly on ball, against Harmes. Even though Harmes won the match up Knevitt looked way more comfortable, and had stacks more of the ball, than he has playing wing. I heard interviewed on KRock earlier in the season and he said he had never played wing before and was slowly learning - which helps explain how lost he looked in the VFL last year. I think he'd played pretty well at AFL level in that position so interesting that they've put him back in the middle in the twos.

They will bring sav back instead (though i dont like it)
No brainer if u ask me.
Esava is the Perfect replacement which allows us a few options on who straightens us up down the line due to Cameron's absence.
SavRat will play either CHB or CHF which allows Henry to play the other.
FWIW I think Dempsey should come in at Ollie Henry expense.
Ollie ouzes class at times then adds half arse endeavour and commitment to the contest at times.
Really frustrating as footy lover. He's gotta get a harder edge and add a bit of runt into his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw most of the first half. Pretty frustrating watch, the team did OK in winning contests against a way older/experienced/better Melbourne side inside D50 and in the midfield but relentlessly turned it over, either trying to exit D50 or entering inside 50. Partly it's because of injuries but did emphasise our lack of young half backs and half forwards.

Thought Neale was good with limited opportunities, the goal he kicked was sensational. Parfitt's game was notably better than other times I've seen him this year, still turned it over by foot too much but was also willing to take more aggressive kicks that opened up the ground and avoided Tomlinson et al camped behind the ball. Hardie didn't get stacks of it but looks really comfortable at this level, one of those players who has time and makes consistently good decisions.

Probably the most notable thing was that Knevitt played predominantly on ball, against Harmes. Even though Harmes won the match up Knevitt looked way more comfortable, and had stacks more of the ball, than he has playing wing. I heard interviewed on KRock earlier in the season and he said he had never played wing before and was slowly learning - which helps explain how lost he looked in the VFL last year. I think he'd played pretty well at AFL level in that position so interesting that they've put him back in the middle in the twos.
You need to watch the second half as it was much less frustrating…

Coaches switched things up. Switched Byrne and Foster and worked well for both. Byrne kicking a couple in the third and Foster got into the game more in defence. Dempsey played the whole half in the midfield and dominated with 23 possessions for the half together with 8 clearance and 4 tackles. Mostly against Harms and Casey’s captain (White?).

If anyone hasn’t watched it and are stuck for time you will feel better if you start at half time!

No brainer if u ask me.
Esava is the Perfect replacement which allows us a few options on who straightens us up down the line due to Cameron's absence.
Ollie ouzes class at times then adds half arse endeavour and commitment to the contest at times.
Really frustrating as footy lover. He's gotta get a harder edge and add a bit of runt into his game.
I agree.

If Sav is right they bring him in for sure and move Henry forward. Then Danger comes back (if we dare to believe them!!) for O Henry who moves to sub. Question is whether Dempsey or Bowes gets a crack will be whether they want to rest a 2E (tried once and failed) or Smith. We have Knevitt ready to play too.

I wouldn’t be surprised though if they only make one or max two changes with only Sav and Danger in

It’s good to have the likes of Knevitt and Dempsey available but I don’t want to see them again in the ones unless our season bombs. There are better AFL level options if we are shooting for a flag.

It’s good to have the likes of Knevitt and Dempsey available but I don’t want to see them again in the ones unless our season bombs. There are better AFL level options if we are shooting for a flag.
I can see that point. And I think that is what the club will do.

The alternative strategy I have been pondering is do you give them (or one) the the next three weeks against teams we should beat (if one player makes a difference against them then maybe we should bomb).

It has two benefits. You might see one just play unbelievable and give another best 22 option (I think brisbane may have that now with fletcher and Loman playing last couple of weeks and will replace rich for example. And when melbourne one the flag they had a young bloke play his first game 6 weeks out and stayed in). Second benefit of course is to manage smith 2E and even some of the other younger guys (long season for o Henry and tanner).

The last 6 weeks are against teams vying for finals and we want to be at our best in last month. So maybe not silly to use next three weeks to test our depth again?

For me only if you are going to play them in 22. The sub should be used by experienced players (even managing)

I can see that point. And I think that is what the club will do.

The alternative strategy I have been pondering is do you give them (or one) the the next three weeks against teams we should beat (if one player makes a difference against them then maybe we should bomb).

It has two benefits. You might see one just play unbelievable and give another best 22 option (I think brisbane may have that now with fletcher and Loman playing last couple of weeks and will replace rich for example. And when melbourne one the flag they had a young bloke play his first game 6 weeks out and stayed in). Second benefit of course is to manage smith 2E and even some of the other younger guys (long season for o Henry and tanner).

The last 6 weeks are against teams vying for finals and we want to be at our best in last month. So maybe not silly to use next three weeks to test our depth again?

For me only if you are going to play them in 22. The sub should be used by experienced players (even managing)
I think we’d be open to that if these three games weren’t virtually must win.

No brainer if u ask me.

We are not dropping ollie and if we did it certainly wouldnt be for dempsey. Ollie is vastly underrated.
Sav is interesting on form he should come back in but i dont think the 4 tall backs works. Will be interesting to see who falls out.

DeKoning is finally starting to look like himself and we want to bring in Sav who plays the same position and DK struggled.

Fwiw I don’t know if both can play in the same backline
We will need another backman as I think with Cameron out Jack Henry will need to go forward. I would have liked to have seen Neale have a run but it looks like he needs another 2-4 games in the VFL.

DeKoning is finally starting to look like himself and we want to bring in Sav who plays the same position and DK struggled.

Fwiw I don’t know if both can play in the same backline

I agree with that and thats one of my worries too.
For next week sav will come in and jack henry will go fwd but when cameron is back im not sure what we will do

I am a fan of Dempsey but the reality he is simply not strong enough yet for the AFL especially against a strong midfield. He needs to put on another 5 or 6 kgs in the off season and then see what he brings next year.
He was up against Dunstan in the second half and had no trouble going head to head with him.

But nobody's saying he has to play inside mid. Give him a crack rotating wing/half forward and use it as a chance to give Smith, Tuohy, Rohan and Ollie Henry a game off each.

Even if we wait a week until after Sydney away. But if we can't beat North and Essendon in Geelong with Dempsey playing instead of those guys then we're not good enough this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back