VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does everyone magically think he will agree to stay here next year to play vfl then? (Because people seem to disagree everytime anyone says mannagh will ask for a trade).

On the latter mannagh is playing better than half a dozen blokes in the 22 (including but not limited to the one who was sub last night).
He needs to go in.

And while i get all the forwards you are mentioning he is not a forward hes a goalkicking midfielder. And we are desperately short on mids.its not hard to find him a spot.

We also need to be smart. If we play him now and he plays for a month the way he did today we might get back at least a pick similar to what we used on him in a trade (hes the sort of player a team that loses a prelim this year might pay to get). Whereas if we dont play him now we will be lucky to get p70 in a trade at the end of the year. Which means we are strengthening a competitor (only a top 8 team will want him) for nix or keeping a player who we have treated shabbily (which is not great for our recruitment image). Even if the coaches dont want him long term (which is odd bc the recruiting team that drafted him clearly does) you need to be smart about it and not shoot yourself in the foot.
Mackie having worked in our recruitment team would understand that and he probably needs to have a chat with the coaches about it.

If Mannagh is running around doing is easy in the twos for the rest of the year and teams come knocking… he will absolutely be within his rights to ask for trade (even though still contracted).

Teams will also be likely to extend his contract and he’d be offered an improved “non rookie” contract… He’d be keen to take it for sure if we are not offering an extension.

I fully agree he should be in.

I fully think that we won’t find a spot for him… even though we probably should.

Why does everyone magically think he will agree to stay here next year to play vfl then? (Because people seem to disagree everytime anyone says mannagh will ask for a trade).

On the latter mannagh is playing better than half a dozen blokes in the 22 (including but not limited to the one who was sub last night).
He needs to go in.

And while i get all the forwards you are mentioning he is not a forward hes a goalkicking midfielder. And we are desperately short on mids.its not hard to find him a spot.

We also need to be smart. If we play him now and he plays for a month the way he did today we might get back at least a pick similar to what we used on him in a trade (hes the sort of player a team that loses a prelim this year might pay to get). Whereas if we dont play him now we will be lucky to get p70 in a trade at the end of the year. Which means we are strengthening a competitor (only a top 8 team will want him) for nix or keeping a player who we have treated shabbily (which is not great for our recruitment image). Even if the coaches dont want him long term (which is odd bc the recruiting team that drafted him clearly does) you need to be smart about it and not shoot yourself in the foot.
Mackie having worked in our recruitment team would understand that and he probably needs to have a chat with the coaches about it.
Because he already agreed to it when he signed the contract

Oh, we need him, but just won't play him.

He just hasn't been able to get his name into Scotty's little black book for some reason.
If there is anyone who is an elite judge of AFL talent its scott. How many players has geelong willingly let go that go onto other clubs to prove us wrong?? Its very rare.

Just seems like there is something to hos game we arent overly enthused about as a whole.

May well be he and clark are competing at the momemt, and when its 50/50 scott likes to go youth

Mannagh will play, but Clark shouldn’t be dropped - against a top-2 midfield last week featuring Cripps, Walsh etc as our youngest player he had 20 touches, more than Blicavs, Danger, Atkins, Bowes and O’Connor. Also 16 vs Swans, more touches than Bowes, Dempsey, Bruhn and Blicavs.

Myopic and amnesiac to suggest he is not contributing and would IMO be very stiff to be dropped after one quiet game

If Mannagh is running around doing is easy in the twos for the rest of the year and teams come knocking… he will absolutely be within his rights to ask for trade (even though still contracted).

Teams will also be likely to extend his contract and he’d be offered an improved “non rookie” contract… He’d be keen to take it for sure if we are not offering an extension.

I fully agree he should be in.

I fully think that we won’t find a spot for him… even though we probably should.i

I get that but it begs 3 questions

1. Why draft manmagh with no intention to play him?

2. Why not pick the side on form? As on form hes in

And 3. Why tank his trade value? (Which seems stupid-i know the kelly situation is different but we took a player we knew we would never have for more than 2 years but we did everything possible to make sure we got great trade value for him..with shaun we seem to b doing the opposite).

And 4. If our midfield is as weak as we say it is why not pick the goalkicking mid who is dominating?

Its all very odd really.
But hes got a limited number of years to make $ for his family..hes not going to hang around if we arent playing him and other teams offer him more $ and gametime.

If there is anyone who is an elite judge of AFL talent its scott. How many players has geelong willingly let go that go onto other clubs to prove us wrong?? Its very rare.

Just seems like there is something to hos game we arent overly enthused about as a whole.

May well be he and clark are competing at the momemt, and when its 50/50 scott likes to go youth

Don't necessarily disagree, but do think Scott has been slow to implement change this season.

Finally brought Knevitt and Humphries in last night, and look what happened.

There's also a good argument that Mannagh would be an upgrade on Clark atm, even Close.

Because he already agreed to it when he signed the contract

He didnt have a choice last year (as per the draft).
This year he does because he can try to force his way out and other clubs can try to entice him out (which they couldnt do last year).

So let me ask it another way, why do you think he wouldnt try to force his way out at the end of the year? Of course he will try to which was my point. Its a matter of the club's next step then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he doesnt play next week in the seniors hes done at the club (ie you can see the trade request coming even at this early stage).
Mate we won by 45 last night, all our forwards were good and only midfielder down on possessions was Clark and there’s a reason why Clark is there whether you want to hear it or not
His pressure and contest

Mannagh can’t do that

Mullin is too good for VFL but not quite there yet for AFL.
Oisín has only been playing AFL 2 minutes. Reckon the way he's adapted has been exceptional. He has the potential to be our best Irish recruit. There I've said it.:openmouth:

I can’t seen Mannagh getting a run.

Ollie Henry to come back in.

Rohan went well.

Stengle went well.

I think Dempsey has taken a bit of Close’s game away from him and possibly Close could come out but doubt he will.

Still… think Mannagh was very stiff to be drafted by a club that doesn’t need him.
🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Mate we won by 45 last night, all our forwards were good and only midfielder down on possessions was Clark and there’s a reason why Clark is there whether you want to hear it or not
His pressure and contest

Mannagh can’t do that

I am a clark fan but mannagh had 10 tackles in the vfl on top of everything else. You cant say he wont contribute defensively.

Regard my point wasnt that it was that we have to play mannagh or we have to accept the trade request is coming. Which is true. Theres only 2 options here realistically.

The silver lining, on a individual level, is that it might harden SDK up a bit.

I agree.
I just meant in terms of us winning finals this year it will really hurt (particularly as we dont have a key back to replace sdk).

Oisín has only been playing AFL 2 minutes. Reckon the way he's adapted has been exceptional. He has the potential to be our best Irish recruit. There I've said it.:openmouth:

My favourite play I've seen from him in the hoops came in the third quarter, when he does enough to interfere with a marking contest that would have all but lead to a certain goal

Then when the ball hit the deck, he used his body to out position his opponent, got the ball to stop dead at the stop of the square which his opponent overran, he picks it up and able to get away a clearing kick with the mark held

He just played it so well and it's passages like that which shows you why the coaches were trying to accelerate his development through the seniors - I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the seniors at some stage this season, but putting in solid performances in the VFL like we saw today will also be good for his confidence

I agree.
I just meant in terms of us winning finals this year it will really hurt (particularly as we dont have a key back to replace sdk).

Yeah, I'm not a fan of SDK in the ruck, and it's the one upside I can see.

Harden him up and we might just get the vintage 2022 SDK back......

Quite possibly, but Tuohy has set a high bar. Some on here might be suffering from recency bias, but up until 2023 he was a fantastic player for us and even this year is still playing good footy.

Im hoping a syndesmosis and not the foot again.

CS has said during a couple of pressers that he hasn't been 100%. Not exposing the youngster too often to bash-n-crash AFL ruck contests is the way to go. We manage players better than any other AFL club.

Quite possibly, but Tuohy has set a high bar. Some on here might be suffering from recency bias, but up until 2023 he was a fantastic player for us and even this year is still playing good footy.
True, but think he has attributes that Tuohey doesn't have. And if I'm off the mark I'll just claim Tuohey was a Carlton recruit.;)

Never understood how we slipped to a rookie pick. his numbers as a junior were always excellent. Big bodied in and under mid. We have a player
Leg speed, and didn't set the world on fire playing for Country.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back