VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely. Have to reward that effort.
the message being sent by NOT rewarding that effort is far worse than any AFL selection can cause. Non selection sends just the worst vibe and kills an already unknown moral level IMO

GO Catters

If conway is gone for the year we are stuffed because sdk will have to stay in the ruck.
And that’s why we have to recruit a mature bodied ruck with a fitness base and no chronic injury history. Tempting to point to 3 on the list excluding Stanley and pinch hitters SDK and Blitz, but all have injury history.
I like Pike although I recognise at 19(?) unlikely to have sufficient tank or experience but is a big unit now who has a leap and skills - reminds me a little of Mumford when first trialled in VFL. Not a skinny kid years away from an AFL body or a 30YO nursing 10 years of injuries to retirement.

True, but think he has attributes that Tuohey doesn't have.

I'm curious as to what you think they are?

He has power and pace as an athlete and I think his best attribute is his closing speed to get to the contest, which is important if you are playing on explosive small forwards. He also has some good evasive skills in traffic.

I don't really see him ever accumulating enough of the football to play in midfield or suddenly developing a run and carry game like a young Tuohy at Carlton or a Kennelly at the Swans.

I think he can become an AFL standard player right enough but not seeing anything other than a strong bodied athlete like MOC personally.

the message being sent by NOT rewarding that effort is far worse than any AFL selection can cause. Non selection sends just the worst vibe and kills an already unknown moral level IMO

GO Catters

I think they’ll have to find a spot for him this week. Clark or O’Connor being the obvious outs.

I get that but it begs 3 questions

1. Why draft manmagh with no intention to play him?

2. Why not pick the side on form? As on form hes in

And 3. Why tank his trade value? (Which seems stupid-i know the kelly situation is different but we took a player we knew we would never have for more than 2 years but we did everything possible to make sure we got great trade value for him..with shaun we seem to b doing the opposite).

And 4. If our midfield is as weak as we say it is why not pick the goalkicking mid who is dominating?

Its all very odd really.
But hes got a limited number of years to make $ for his family..hes not going to hang around if we arent playing him and other teams offer him more $ and gametime.

Let’s not forget that MC and CS/Coaching panel see players competing against each on almost a daily basis at training, particularly match-sim drills. Mannagh is competing against Close, Rohan, Stengle, Miers, and O. Henry for a spot in the AFL side.
Close and Rohan were outstanding last night IMO. Miers worked his way well into the game and has a unique X-Factor. Stengle is an A+/AA small forward and O. Henry kicked 40 goals last year and while reflecting the team’s strength performance somewhat this year, he has not been horrible.
If he was thrashing our defenders and outperforming all the aforementioned at training along with his VFL form, he’d be in.
AFL spots in a side that was the Premier 1 1/2 season ago are not given easily.
And let’s face it, 17 clubs will not be banging the doors down to get him like they were with Tim Kelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a clark fan but mannagh had 10 tackles in the vfl on top of everything else. You cant say he wont contribute defensively.

Regard my point wasnt that it was that we have to play mannagh or we have to accept the trade request is coming. Which is true. Theres only 2 options here realistically.
The only reason I can see us agreeing to a trade is if our plan was to bring him in incase we lost Stengle.
We have history on our side lately, he can ask for a trade but the likelihood of us agreeing is minimal

Mannagh will play, but Clark shouldn’t be dropped - against a top-2 midfield last week featuring Cripps, Walsh etc as our youngest player he had 20 touches, more than Blicavs, Danger, Atkins, Bowes and O’Connor. Also 16 vs Swans, more touches than Bowes, Dempsey, Bruhn and Blicavs.

Myopic and amnesiac to suggest he is not contributing and would IMO be very stiff to be dropped after one quiet game

We must be watching different games because I’d go as far as to say Clark’s been bottom 5 in 80% of games he’s played this year.

He’s progressing and I’m sure he’ll develop into a good player a year or two from now but he’s not good enough to hold out a guy banging down the door. 6 goals, 10 tackles and 20 possessions…Mannagh blew the hinges off it.

Let’s not forget that MC and CS/Coaching panel see players competing against each on almost a daily basis at training, particularly match-sim drills. Mannagh is competing against Close, Rohan, Stengle, Miers, and O. Henry for a spot in the AFL side.
Close and Rohan were outstanding last night IMO. Miers worked his way well into the game and has a unique X-Factor. Stengle is an A+/AA small forward and O. Henry kicked 40 goals last year and while reflecting the team’s strength performance somewhat this year, he has not been horrible.
If he was thrashing our defenders and outperforming all the aforementioned at training along with his VFL form, he’d be in.
AFL spots in a side that was the Premier 1 1/2 season ago are not given easily.
And let’s face it, 17 clubs will not be banging the doors down to get him like they were with Tim Kelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until last night both Rohan and Close had carried very average form, and there's the thought that Clark could do with a spell.

Even Atkins has been questionable.

You simply have to reward form, because a) it's in the best interests of the club, and b) it can become cancerous if you don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way Newcombe is playing today if we keep Clark in next week Newcombe will have 50 touches.
Weird comment. They're not going head to head, and Clark isn't a tagger or anything like that.

It's like saying if the Hawks keep Cam McKenzie in then Holmes or Danger is going to have 50 touches. It doesn't make sense.

I think Clark is due a VFL stint, and would love to see Mannagh or Ted get a go

...but Clark isn't responsible for the opposition's best midfielder getting off the chain, just like the opposition's lesser midfielders aren't responsible for ours.

Mannagh to replace Clark is the obvious one but who does Henry replace? I can’t see who Henry replaces to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I get that but it begs 3 questions

1. Why draft manmagh with no intention to play him?

2. Why not pick the side on form? As on form hes in

And 3. Why tank his trade value? (Which seems stupid-i know the kelly situation is different but we took a player we knew we would never have for more than 2 years but we did everything possible to make sure we got great trade value for him..with shaun we seem to b doing the opposite).

And 4. If our midfield is as weak as we say it is why not pick the goalkicking mid who is dominating?

Its all very odd really.
But hes got a limited number of years to make $ for his family..hes not going to hang around if we arent playing him and other teams offer him more $ and gametime.
I don't understand saying we didn't have an intention to play him. He played round 1.

He didnt have a choice last year (as per the draft).
This year he does because he can try to force his way out and other clubs can try to entice him out (which they couldnt do last year).

So let me ask it another way, why do you think he wouldnt try to force his way out at the end of the year? Of course he will try to which was my point. Its a matter of the club's next step then.
He needs to find a club that would go out of their way to trade for him instead of waiting until he's ooc and I don't think he will.

How has Mannagh gone the last few weeks before today?

I didn’t see the whole game but I think the difference today was Knevitt coming out of the VFL side and Mannagh having more of that midfield role.

In previous weeks he’s been more forward, even full forward. He’s been okay in prior weeks but probably played out of position.

I didn’t see the whole game but I think the difference today was Knevitt coming out of the VFL side and Mannagh having more of that midfield role.

In previous weeks he’s been more forward, even full forward. He’s been okay in prior weeks but probably played out of position.

His performance today would suggest exactly that.

We must be watching different games because I’d go as far as to say Clark’s been bottom 5 in 80% of games he’s played this year.

He’s progressing and I’m sure he’ll develop into a good player a year or two from now but he’s not good enough to hold out a guy banging down the door. 6 goals, 10 tackles and 20 possessions…Mannagh blew the hinges off it.
The bolded is probably true, but he’s also probably been in our best 10 in 2 of our 3 last games. I’m not sure how much his form of 3 months ago, when he played his second-ever seniors game, really matters.

The question isn’t if Clark is good enough to hold out Mannagh, the question is if he is good enough to hold his spot ahead of someone like O’Connor, and there’s not much in it.

I'm curious as to what you think they are?

He has power and pace as an athlete and I think his best attribute is his closing speed to get to the contest, which is important if you are playing on explosive small forwards. He also has some good evasive skills in traffic.

I don't really see him ever accumulating enough of the football to play in midfield or suddenly developing a run and carry game like a young Tuohy at Carlton or a Kennelly at the Swans.

I think he can become an AFL standard player right enough but not seeing anything other than a strong bodied athlete like MOC personally.
Genuine leg speed and running power. More important now than ever. And he can break lines. Endurance. He can run all day. Flexibility. He can be used in a multiplicity of roles - was a very good tagger in Ireland. A family member who follows the Baggers said he's more advanced than Tuohey was at the same stage skill-wise, winning his own footy, decision making, work ethic.

Time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back