VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

No marks inside forward 50 for the cats, not good! Rohan and Foster need to lift.

So do their teammates in trying to kick to them

We're breaking down further up the field & not giving them three best chance with our ball movement forward

Rohan can pressure better though once the ball hits the ground

They're reading the ball and reacting quicker, making space far too easily, and bringing far more pressure than us.

Both teams had their struggles over the first 15 minutes

Werribee was able to adapt on their end and we haven't really worked it out

So do their teammates in trying to kick to them

We're breaking down further up the field & not giving them three best chance with our ball movement forward

Rohan can pressure better though once the ball hits the ground

Would help if the forwards could get in front so we have a target we can kick to.

Rohan's experienced enough to know that in these conditions he should be playing in front. He's busy waiting for the ball to come over the back and allowing his man to mark uncontested.

Their work rate, pressure and spread is much better than ours.

Which is unforgivable since the majority of our team are AFL listed and should be putting their hand up for a position in the real stuff instead of just coasting through the game expecting it to just happen.

There's a saying "Hard work will beat talent when talent doesn't work hard." That's described this first half to an absolute tee.

With the exception of SDK, hard to see anyone forcing their way into the QF side.
Clohesy is trying hard and playing well, but he doesn’t look a “class above”. Parfitt just not cutting it. MOC and Mullins having “meh” games so far.
Clark just doesn’t look damaging enough with ball in hand and he’s not really an accumulator at this stage of his career.
I’m beginning to think we were seduced by the “mini Selwood” vibes. He’s undersized as a mid who doesn’t have blistering pace or elite disposal skills. Can’t question his courage, but he looks like a good ordinary player right now to me. I hope I’m wrong…

We are getting destroyed with Uncontested marks and ground ball gets. That speaks entirely to work rate and adherence to structure.

PS Could Rohan look more cooked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Parfitt, Hardie and Stevens in midfield have been so disappointing. Really only SDK, Clohesy and then our wings in O'Connor and Knevitt giving us anything.

You've gotta get Clark out of defence and into midfield.

It'll be interesting to see how we line up after half-time - it's obviously been a disappointing match to date, but looking ahead to Thursday night, I'm thinking we'll have to see a few staying in the sheds for an early shower

Be interesting to see how we approach this second half, and what positional changes they make

Exactly

Right now neither of Rohan or Parfitt are putting their hands up for a recall

For SDK this is more about a run in the legs rather than necessarily showing something to push for a call up - so I'm more so watching Sam to see how he's moving, the second efforts to follow up his work etc

To me, the 3 listed players that have shown the most are Merrick, Mullin & Ted - expect 1 or 2 of them named in the 26 on Wednesday (even is it's just as emergencies)
With SDk. I haven’t watch the game just looking at stats and comments from BF…

So if it was a choice of playing Ruck or keeping Stanley have you see enough for SDK to push into afl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll be interesting to see how we line up after half-time - it's obviously been a disappointing match to date, but looking ahead to Thursday night, I'm thinking we'll have to see a few staying in the sheds for an early shower

Be interesting to see how we approach this second half, and what positional changes they make
Expect SDK not to play much more. Maybe half a quarter? Wonder if anyone else gets rested

Clark just doesn’t look damaging enough with ball in hand and he’s not really an accumulator at this stage of his career.
I’m beginning to think we were seduced by the “mini Selwood” vibes. He’s undersized as a mid who doesn’t have blistering pace or elite disposal skills. Can’t question his courage, but he looks like a good ordinary player right now to me. I hope I’m wrong…
Your assessment is correct imo and I have always said similar about Clark even before we drafted him.

It's on him to improve, but I'm not sure he has many tools to call upon besides "having a dip".

Fingers crossed he comes good.

I actually prefer Clohesy to Clark.

Understood but Rohan having zero possessions 1 tackle and 1 free kick against at half time isn’t going to get him back to afl team.

I expected he would be manic today but
good to see he can go missing at both levels

Go Catters

With SDk. I haven’t watch the game just looking at stats and comments from BF…

So if it was a choice of playing Ruck or keeping Stanley have you see enough for SDK to push into afl

I haven't seen enough for him to oust Stanley from the ruck role

I'm curious if playing him in that position was because that's where they were considering him for Thursday, or where they thought it best allowed him to blow out the cobwebs and test his knee

Similar thinking with O'Connor - he really doesn't play wing in the seniors, and even earlier VFL games I've watched him this year it's not really a role he's played. So is it more about getting a run into his legs after injury for him also?

Playing through the midfield & wing definitely allows more of an opportunity to see how they're tracking on return from injury compared with playing their more accustomed defensive roles

VFL team having a shocker, beaten badly in all aspects of the game. Mitch Hardie with zero clearances in the first half. Maybe he's being tagged but still not good enough. Only Knevitt showing something. This Dom Brew guy dominates. Easy when the opposition lets him.

Insane to think Campbell Brown commentated live matches. Lol

Ten players with four or less touches ☹️. Gotta get Stevens out of the centre, nowhere near it.

Surprised to see O’Connor copping it in here, thought he’s been ok compared to most others. He’s not far off the main team.

George hasn't really been playing in the guts today though - wondering if he may be shifted into their this half

To be fair to them the guys who might actually get picked except for Rohan have been ok. SDK, MOC, Knevitt, Clohesy and Mullin outside a terrible kick in have probably been our best 5.

I think SDK is a must pick and the others could be selected as sub for Thursday.

The problem is basically everyone outside those 5 has really struggled.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back