VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I don't understand the hatred.

Serviceable player with strengths and weaknesses. He gave us 5+ solid years and has always tried his guts out. Was very stiff to be dropped for the 2022 finals series and he's been a victim of his limitations, lack of confidence and the game changing towards more outside run and precision ball movement in midfield.

If he comes good again great but if he spends a year in the VFL he'll help a lot with development of the next group. And if he moves on at the end of the year he should go with our blessing and thanks.
The thing is he'll always be that third to 5th best mid. With Bruhn, Bowes, Atkins and some other rolling through they're he doesn't have a role.

I've always liked him, never hated him, but I think his career with us is basically over

Should have traded his ass last year.
Weakest midfield in the comp and the guy is still on the outer.

List clogger we've carried for too long.

No one was going to pay for him last year when hes fringe and a free agent this year.

Yeah I don't understand the hatred.

Serviceable player with strengths and weaknesses. He gave us 5+ solid years and has always tried his guts out. Was very stiff to be dropped for the 2022 finals series and he's been a victim of his limitations, lack of confidence and the game changing towards more outside run and precision ball movement in midfield.

If he comes good again great but if he spends a year in the VFL he'll help a lot with development of the next group. And if he moves on at the end of the year he should go with our blessing and thanks.

i agree the changes in our gamestyle have done him in (as has his drop off in form) but broadly i agree he should go with our thanks.

I was hoping we’d use him in the Cameron trade when he had some value to save a draft pick.

Back in 2020 we could have. But in 2023 no one was trading for him.

Yes I’m talking about in 2020.

He was the most expendable player that held some sort of value imo.

But in saying that, a lot of things still would have needed to align to make it happen.

Today he is worth just about nothing.

1) He didn't want to be traded and forcing well liked players out of the club is a great way to destroy your culture.

2) It's only with hindsight that we see him as the most expendable. It could've easily been him that went on while Miers or Henry or Zuthrie floundered.

Yes I’m talking about in 2020.

He was the most expendable player that held some sort of value imo.

But in saying that, a lot of things still would have needed to align to make it happen.

Today he is worth just about nothing.

I can understand why at the time we didnt want to let him go. He looked like he had a lot of upside. Then he got injured and stagnated and tactically the game changed.

Now he will just play out the last year of his contract in the vfl and then leave as an RFA/DFA.

I don't get the Parfitt hate tbh. It all comes back to what you expected out of him.

He's always been short, slow, and poor with the ball in his hands. We knew that when he was drafted as supporters, and even for those who didn't, they quickly did once they watched him play.

If you're expecting a player with those tangibles to be anything more than a battler at AFL level, then you're the problem for setting your expectations too high.

He came in with a very strong defensive and tough side to his game and I think we expected to see him develop some offensive capacity (there is probably some unconscious bias because he is indigenous and they tend to be pretty skilled players). And he just hasn't.

It's a hard gig being a midfield prospect at Geelong given the greats that have gone through there in the last 20 years.

1) He didn't want to be traded and forcing well liked players out of the club is a great way to destroy your culture.

2) It's only with hindsight that we see him as the most expendable. It could've easily been him that went on while Miers or Henry or Zuthrie floundered.

1) I don’t disagree and that’s why I mentioned above that things would need to align for it to even happen… I actually have no idea if GWS even asked the question.

2) Def not in hindsight for me, but I doubt the trade was ever an option anyway so it’s not like we missed a trick… just something I was fine with at the time to save a draft pick.
And I wasn’t anti Parf then… just thought his value was decent back then and he didn’t have great upside.
But we probably now have the guys we were keen on in that draft on our list anyway.

To keep it VFL related I’ll mention that I hope he really kills it in the VFL this year.

I think it’s red rover for him at Geelong and thought that last year… but maybe, just maybe he can turn it around… but as fit as he can get, I can’t see how it’s possible to improve his skills/kicking at this point of his career.

He hasn’t really been the same since breaking his hand.

Anyway, good luck to him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the next vfl praccy is the same day as the AFL match I think it's certain we'll be seeing some afl listed kids running around.

Deakin 2pm March 16th.

Who is keen to go and report back? I will unfortunately be approximately 1000km away

D BRIDGE CHAWKTS AnUltimateRessie

2024 Smithy's VFL practice match schedule - 2024 Smithy's VFL practice match schedule

Given the next vfl praccy is the same day as the AFL match I think it's certain we'll be seeing some afl listed kids running around.

Deakin 2pm March 16th.

Who is keen to go and report back? I will unfortunately be approximately 1000km away

2024 Smithy's VFL practice match schedule - 2024 Smithy's VFL practice match schedule

With the AFL season having started you'd think (hope?) that they give a bit more info on this one. Maybe even a stream but that's probably wildly optimistic.

Deakin 2pm March 16th.

With the AFL season having started you'd think (hope?) that they give a bit more info on this one. Maybe even a stream but that's probably wildly optimistic.

I won't be able to attend myself but I'll be able to get a report from someone that'll head there. Definitely no stream, Deakin doesn't have the facilities for that and the club doesn't give a shit. You should at least get a team this week considering there will be the non selected players there.

I won't be able to attend myself but I'll be able to get a report from someone that'll head there. Definitely no stream, Deakin doesn't have the facilities for that and the club doesn't give a s**t. You should at least get a team this week considering there will be the non selected players there.
Don't care if the information is 4th hand, would just love some information. If you can ask that would be amazing!

Deakin 2pm March 16th.

Not sure I will be able to make it sorry. Will be great to get reports though as I think we will have a lot of boys who will want to press their case for AFL.

Not out of the question we see Rohan for a half too (if not next week the week after) in the VFL

Not sure I will be able to make it sorry. Will be great to get reports though as I think we will have a lot of boys who will want to press their case for AFL.

Not out of the question we see Rohan for a half too (if not next week the week after) in the VFL
if Gary Rohan plays VFL I might just have a heart attack

Deakin 2pm March 16th.

I'm working in the afternoon - made sure I'm free for our opening senior game though

But if someone wants to cover my work shift I'll go...😁

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back