VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

It looked horrible. Commentary team
Made mention of the lack of ‘energy’. If he wants a trade he can’t be sooky - what club wants that. If he wants a game with the cats he can’t be sooky either.

Anyway, positives are Knevitt and Conway. Hope they both play next week. Edwards is looking very good too. Will be great once he puts weight on.

I think he knows no matter what he does he isny getting picked and i suspect his agent already has his next club lined up anyway. But i take your point.

Conway and knevitt looking very good.
I liked that mark on the wing from edwards hes just very raw but theres tools there.

We did but it really begs the question as to why the recruiters picked in r2 a 26yo the coaches dont want.

And now we are tanking any trade value he had by not playing him meaning when he asks for a trade we will be lucky to get p80 meanwhile he will play a lot of afl footy for his new club next year. Really odd decision there.
Our list management has been second to none for a long time.

But this is a head-scratcher. Clearly our list management team and coaching group not on the same page which is concerning.

Yeah honestly that stood out to me.
I think its obvious mannagh will ask for a trade at end of year and thats a sad outcome.

Knevitts been really good-straight in for tuohy.
To be fair you and I would have made the change 5 weeks ago. If not 10!

Time to see Dempsey and Knevitt on the afl wings for rest of the year. They both add versatility (dempsey can go forward and knevitt pinch hit inside)

Because there was sweet FA available by then in that draft and we thought he could be better than he's shown.

He's probably good enough to do a job at AFL level as a small forward. But Dempsey's moved way ahead of him and he's a bit unlucky that he's playing in the role where we're strongest. So he's out of the side.

If Stengle goes I'd keep him. If Stengle stays I'd happily accept a pick in the 30s even though he's contracted because he's pretty clearly surplus to requirements.

I would disagree that there was nothing in the draft in that range there was 4 or 5 players that would have been quite useful for us.

I just dont agree with the idea of pigeonholing a guy whos been a mid at werribbee, richmond and everywhere else as a small fwd only. When our midfield is one paced and we are crying out for quick transition players. It speaks to a lack of creativity from the coaches and disconnect between them and wells-you dont draft a 26yo in r2 for backup and we had the 3 young smalls so clearly wells drafted him either thinking the coaches would play all 4 smalls or mannagh would be looked at as a mid. The coaches clearly disagree so i have no idea why he was drafted.

On the last bit theres two issues.
One i doubt he will want to stay for 2025 anyway and if he goes we wont get back the pick we paid because we have tanked any trade value he had. Which means we either keep an unhappy player who doesnt want to stay and who the coaches dont want or we strengthen a finals competitor for not much in return.

The thing thats more bizarre is why we drafted him in the first place.
Historically poor draft, we've been over this several times.

It's been said by recruiters that Mannagh's pick would have been the equivalent of a rookie selection in just about any other year.

The club clearly didn't rate anyone else (and believed Stevens, Humphries, & Wilthsire would be there later on) so they picked the mature-ager who at worst would be handy depth.

If we believe the theories that we knew Stengle was gone by then too, then you can add that to the reasoning as well.

Mannagh hasn't done much today, that's true but the way this game is being played by Geelong is odd so it's hard to read from that half. I guess I'm eyeing a future without Stengle and Mannagh has a game I think can do that job. If I had to fit him now I'm eyeing Henry who still looks stuck in between a useful size and speed but that is my own prejudice.

Hoping got a good second half.

Half time stats.

If they go with traditional ruckman then Conway back in for sure. Which means blitz goes back to midfield. And Bowes plays more mid so not sure they will feel they have to go with another mid? (I would but…).

To me knevitt in for 2e is a no brainer but coach sees something I don’t.

Scratcher easy replacement for hawk unless we go small ball (don’t think we should).

Humprhies hopefully has a better second half as Mullin I think likely ommitted?

Attachments

• IMG_7988.png
    IMG_7988.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7989.png
    IMG_7989.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 5
He is contracted for next year so he stays especially if Stengle walks.
I think that is key that people miss. Same with scratcher.

Clubs are pretty ruthless and think about good of the club. So they don’t have to keep them happy this year and will give them both a crack in 2025 (or not).

Stengle and Hawkins gone and 2025 looks very different

We're really talking up a small forward with 3 possessions and no tackles in a half?

Mannagh is clearly behind Dempsey, Stengle, Close and Miers and is showing nowhere near what's required for us to want to radically change the structure to include him. The obsession with him when he's been really poor today is bizarre.
If he’s this bad as a mature aged recruit as you say, it’s been a total waste recruiting him then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs are pretty ruthless and think about good of the club. So they don’t have to keep them happy this year and will give them both a crack in 2025 (or not).

Depends on mannaghs ambition really.
He might well just tell geelong hes retiring at the end of the year if he doesnt get a trade. He would make just as much money going back to his old teaching job plus getting big $ to play country footy on weekends, as what the geelong contract is worth.
Either way theres no doubt the parties will sever ties its just a matter of how and when.

h

Even if Stengle stays, a spot opens up with Duncan, Tuohy and Rohan probably going. Smart long-term list management for 2025 onwards IMO

Stanley is so done.

Ball on ground and he stands there and looks at it.

See ya

GO Catters

Depends on mannaghs ambition really.
He might well just tell geelong hes retiring at the end of the year if he doesnt get a trade. He would make just as much money going back to his old teaching job plus getting big $ to play country footy on weekends, as what the geelong contract is worth.
Either way theres no doubt the parties will sever ties its just a matter of how and when.
Maybe. I suspect they are telling him he is next in. And he wouldn’t want to give that up given it is his dream.

No doubt he will be exploring options and if stengle stays he would have different view?

Unusual that we have had miers close stengle close and dempsey play every game! He prob only needs one to miss and he plays? Odds are that it happens

Anybody else think COS has gone backwards as the year has gone on? I thought we would run over the top of them as the game went on due to AFL listed players being full time and having superior fitness but it is not proving so.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back