Review Views and Reviews v Crows (you beauty!)

Remove this Banner Ad

It was unbelievable, and with it I'm prepared to say our season has now been a success. Even if we drop one of our final two, which would be horrible, winning against Adelaide and West Coast is stuff you can build a super team on.

The Gabbatoir is returning.
At the start of the year, I said 6 wins was the minimum standard and now we have 8 with 2 very special wins against top teams. Tick.

Not buying it.

To much maturity and development put into him to be a player that averages around 10-13 disposals on a regular basis.

---------------------------------

Goose - 3.

Crisp - 5.

Bewick - 10.

Polkinghorne - 11.

If you look at the players below him in possies, One was a genuine marking forward tonight, The other a young kid and a back man who was subbed off very early.
Possessions don't equal quality.

Also, you seem to think I am calling him BOG. Definitely not, but he did better tonight than you are suggesting. He didn't accumulate, but he didn't mess it up either, and he even worked the ball to our advantage once or twice. If that isn't an improvement I don't know what is.

Said it a few times now but how is Yeo's composure?
It's like a scene from The Matrix, extreme pressure, has opponants clammering to tackle him, two sets of hands on him,around the waist and arms and yet he holds that ball, takes the time to look around, find a target or safe path and gets a pass away. This doesn't happen just once, I saw it 3 times tonight.
I think he is the coolest, calmest customer in a clinch I have seen.:thumbsu:

absolutely, there were several times where he could of just blazed away BUT stayed calm and made good use of the ball.

Not buying it.

To much maturity and development put into him to be a player that averages around 10-13 disposals on a regular basis.

Goose - 3.

Crisp - 5.

Bewick - 10.

Polkinghorne - 11.

If you look at the players below him in possies, One was a genuine marking forward tonight, The other a young kid and a back man who was subbed off very early.

and HE STILL PUT PLAYERS UNDER PRESSURE WITH TERRIBLE hand passes or kicks either behind the player or making them stop and wait for the ball

Possessions don't equal quality.

Also, you seem to think I am caling him BOG. Definitely not, but he did better tonight than you are suggesting. He didn't accumulate, but he didn't mess it up either, and he even worked the ball to our advantage once or twice. If that isn't an improvement I don't know what is.
I understand your point of view but I'm just getting fed up with Polkinghorne.

If he was a first or second year player, By all means let him develop.

But this is a bloke who has been in the system for 4 (?) years now that is still churning out average performances.

Moving forward he just isn't good enough once we start playing for a finals spot.

I class him in the same group as Sheldon, Hawksley etc.

Seriously this would have to be the best win I've seen the lions make since the 2009 Elimination final.

Now where's Vossy, I want to give him a hug!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got back from the game. In one passage of play what I saw from Redden was indescribable he was absolutely ruthless, amazing.

What can't Zorko do...?

So happy after tonight's match.

631651406.gif

Clearances for people who can't find it:

Jack Redden - 7.

Ben Hudson - 5.

Andrew Raines - 4.

Tom Rockliff - 4.

Claye Beams - 3.

Daniel Rich - 3.

Dayne Zorko - 3.

Simon Black/Josh Green/Joel Patfull/Ryan Harwood - 1.

Also Beams and Green with the most Inside 50's with 6 each.

And final interesting stat was that Joel Patfull played 100% TOG.

Imagine being a young opposition half back flanker. Your club throws you there just to find the pace of senior footy, maybe do a job on one of the opposition's lesser lights. Your opponent wanders down and you realise you've got to play on the most decorated player currently in football!

Things haven't gone that bad that we're fielding Heuskes again, have they?

Jordan lilse, wow, his ruck work is still a work in progress and doubt wether he did any ruck work piror to this year, BUT his work around the ground was sensational, some of his second and 3rd efforts were just awesome, also his general play kicking is pretty solid.
The big thing with lilse settling in nicely is it allows Merret to play in defence which suits him and the team so much better. Merret was a rock tonight absolutley sensational, he also adds that leadership and direction down back.

ONe negative thing I want to add is that the lions seem to get brushed off tackles FAR to easliy, and its not just tonight, been for a couple of years. It also is not just 1st or 2nd year players but more senior players. UNsure if it is a strength issue or technique issue BUT needs some attention over the off season IMO, Im not saying for a sec the endeavour or intent isnt there just the fact they cant make there tackles stick, which undoes a lot of there hard work.

Bewick is doing really well, has the endurance which sees him able to punish his lest aerobically gifted opponent as well as being a fairly good contested mark. Will struggle when someone is put on him that can match him aerobically and is a good spoil.

Yeo is going to be another one of those players to take his chance and not let it go.

I can't wait to see what happens next year when Golby is back as well, Yeo, Harwood, Lester and Golby all have the ability to play defence and into the midfield and hopefully all are able to retain their spot in the best 22.

Raines has to be close to most improved this year, still doing an outstanding job as a tagger but has improved his decision making and kicking. We've also started to see him pop up for a goal a game, this has been a bit more recent but I'm quietly confident that it will continue.

big shout out to patfull. Great d. Was sitting in GA on the eastern side surrounded by crows fans and I was raging at their glee and our performance after the first quarter. Was great to hear nothing from them in after that. Great comeback. Love you lions.

Well, I have been home for an hour and spent it doing what I always do.

Reading through our match thread and reliving all the emotions that you feel when you are at the game. Gotta say this "review" was a particularly enjoyable one. First there was the wrist-slashing , sky-is -falling, sack the coach, I just wanna hit someone hysteria of the first quarter, followed by a slight mellowing as the second unfolded, followed by the geez......we are kinda in this game bemusement of the third, rounded off with the sheer ecstasy of an improbable win in the last.

Like I said, pretty much reliving the full gamut of emotions I went through myself at the game tonight:oops:

All said and done though, I make these three observations

1. that was our best win as a club since the EF miracle against the Blues in 2010.

2. Jack Redden will bolt in the Club Champion award this year.

3. Kezz deserves an award for her unwavering faith in the team and good humor (in the match thread) during the ugly rout that was the first quarter.

Keep up the good work Kezza:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Views and Reviews v Crows (you beauty!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back