State Focus WA 2024 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes it does make sense if the Ressies and League aren't making finals. But I wouldn't be getting too excited about Gerreyn's form against bottom of the ladder, under manned, under aged Colts teams. Those who won't make finals are giving opportunities to their 15 year olds now. But good luck to them, I hope they can compete against Claremont in the finals.
Well, it's Gerreyn (WP) v Riddle (CL) this week. Riddle is a big competitive unit, so we're cooking with gas on Saturday.

Yes it does make sense if the Ressies and League aren't making finals. But I wouldn't be getting too excited about Gerreyn's form against bottom of the ladder, under manned, under aged Colts teams. Those who won't make finals are giving opportunities to their 15 year olds now. But good luck to them, I hope they can compete against Claremont in the finals.
I think you are right. Much better for Gerreyn's draft chances if he was to be challenged by playing against men rather than bottom of the ladder colts teams. I think he will still get drafted regardless but could go higher if he was able to show he could compete at league level. Right or wrong recruiters like seeing how these potential draftees can compete at league level. Quite a few of the higher end pics post champs are now playing VFL, SANFL or WAFL. I think Gerreyn falls into the category or needing to be tested and would benefit by playing against more mature bodies and better players.

What are the thoughts on Cooper Moore (P) on playing league. Do you think proving himself at league level will increase his chances as a draft prospect.

What are the thoughts on Cooper Moore (P) on playing league. Do you think proving himself at league level will increase his chances as a draft prospect.
How did he go? I didn't see but I'd be interested to see if he stays in League or returns to Colts as they had the bye last week.

WAFL Colts Round 19 Game of the Week

Claremont v West Perth at Revo, Claremont, Sat, Aug 10, 9.15am WA/11.15am Vic, live on https://streamer.com.au/match/3922

Live stats https://www.wafl.com.au/match/colts-claremont-v-west-perth-round-19-2024

It's very rare that Claremont go into any colts match as underdogs but perhaps, due to a high number of players who are unavailable, they may well be this weekend.

The Monts will be without elite top end talents Sullivan Moody, Jett Sibosado (Reserves listed), Hamish Davis, Bailey.Banfield, Max Rohr (League listed), William Hayes, Max Burbury (injured), Cody Curtin, Max Hansen-Knarhoi, Clancy Dennis, Hugh Boxshall and Charlie Banfield (PSA) plus a large number of lower profile players who are also on school footy duty.

However, Claremont aren't known for fielding weak teams, even when required to find back-up, such is the strength of their zone. Their so called second string players are always highly competent. Although it's rare that their depth has been tested to this extent.

They will look to tough little mid/backpocket Will Wildberger, emerging 199cm power forward Lucas Ravenhill, the ever elusive Cody Angove, solid state defender Jaxon Douglas, the zippy Cossom boys Tom and Charlie, smooth mid Austin Van Der Struyf, mercurial Indigenous small forward Jezurahn Balacky, highly thought of over age key position player Clay Michael, who is back after 12 months out with a knee injury, below age defender Oscar Willis and of course the robust ruckman Aiden Riddle, who is one of the few in the league who can possibly out play West Perth star Kayle Gerreyn.

That is an exciting duel to savour. Afterall, both players did get a national combine invite.

West Perth are in a different space. What seemed like a year to put game time into a very talented group of below agers has turned out to be a year when the below agers took charge of games.

Fourteen below agers have been named in the West Perth squad for Saturday. Cooper Bewick is missing but apart from him the Cardinals are nearly at full strength.

They have some wonderful prospects for 2025. Judd Marcello isn't a mercurial forward by any means but what a great competitor. Leads with purpose -knows how to mark in the hands in front of the body, works hard on the ground to bring smaller players into the game and kicks straight.

Sam Swadling is listed at 177cm. He's taller than that now. Probably around the 182/183cm mark. Pure silk in his movements and ability to evade opponents but best of all, a fiercely determined mid/forward who competes.

Other 2025 prospects include talented utility Sebastian Hewitt, who at just 188-190cm might be asked to relieve Gerreyn while he tries to snag a few majors up forward, left foot defensive distributor Jacob Farrow, polished defender Rhys Hards, PSA prospect Jonah Klemke, raw but improving key position player Lochlain Carpenter and mid Scott Rae.

Of course WestPerth have their fair share of seasoned players as well. Jack Clarke Medal favourite Jack Wooden in the midfield - a chip off the old block if ever there was one but perhaps lacking certain AFL athletc qualities, state mid Jayden Rigoll, fellow state player Trent Hiscock and diminutive overager Austin Chapman.

But of course it really is Gerreyn who holds the key.

And interesting to see a Vic in the West Perth line-up. Sam Elvin 191cm who has come over from Sale Football and Netball. Keen to see what he brings. If he's any good, we'll give him a permanent WA passport.

Also delighted to announce that PMBangers will not only be covering the match for RmC but also doing the votes for bigfooty. Absolutely rapt about that.

+ = over ager
** = below ager
*** = 2008 DOB

Claremont M V Ave G
1-Will Wildberger+ (CL) 13 27 2.07 1
2-Jaxon Douglas (CL) 10 37 3.70 -
4-Kody Katauskas (CL) 8 1 0.12 1
8-Lucas Ravenhill (CL) 14 32 2.28 27
9-Cody Angove (CL) 6 27 4.50 10
10-Austin Van Der Struyf (CL) 9 59 6.55 7
11-Noah Mellody (CL) 4 - ---- 2
13-Hamish Brogan+ (CL) 3 4 1.33 1
15-Aiden Riddle+ (CL) 10 39 3.90 2
16-Clay Michael+ (CL) 2 1 0.50 3
17-Rory Luscombe (CL) 12 15 1.25 19
20-Oscar Willis** (CL) 13 8 0.61 3
23-Tom Cossom (CL) 12 13 1.08 8
25-Reuben Keane (CL) 6 8 1.33 -
26-Luke Pynes+ (CL) 12 3 0.25 12
32-Aidan Kavanagh (CL) 3 - ---- -
35-Cooper Trovarello*** (CL) 1 - ---- -
40-Lachlan Cale (CL) 3 - ---- 1
41-Jezurahn Balacky (CL) 6 6 1.00 7
42-Will Malajczuk** (CL) 10 7 0.70 1
43-Zachary Palmer (CL) 2 - ---- -
45-Oliver Pentony+ (CL) 10 8 0.80 3
46-Charlie Cossom** (CL) 8 9 1.12 2
47-Lachlan Cattalini+ (CL) 5 7 1.40 -
48-Jackson Muir*** (CL) 1 - ---- -
50-Tom Massey (CL) 4 1 0.25 1
V
West Perth M V Ave G
3-Kayle Gerreyn (WP) 8 68 8.50 11
4-Patrick Atkins (WP) 10 12 1.20 -
5-Cameron Davies** (WP) - - ---- -
6-Jayden Rigoll (WP) 9 40 4.44 1
7-Austin Chapman+ (WP) 11 43 3.90 8
8-Darcy Keenan (WP) 12 5 0.41 -
9-Thomas Rooke (WP) 13 2 0.15 5
13-Jack Wooden (WP) 13 74 5.69 5
14-Trent Hiscock (WP) 7 15 2.14 1
15-Sebastian Hewitt** (WP) 10 - ---- 4
16-Kayde Sherwood (WP) 13 25 1.92 17
17-Lachlan Acres (WP) 10 6 0.60 2
18-Jonah Klemke** (WP) 4 - ---- -
19-Judd Marcello** (WP) 13 46 3.53 29
20-Jacob Farrow** (WP) 12 18 1.50 3
23-Eli Alexander+ (WP) 4 - ---- 2
25-Scott Rae** (WP) 8 - ---- 4
26-Sam Swadling** (WP) 11 47 4.27 11
27-Luca Boczar*** (WP) 1 - ---- 2
28-Rhys Hards** (WP) 12 10 0.83 -
29-Amon Ross** (WP) 9 2 0.22 1
31-Lochlain Carpenter** (WP) 13 13 1.00 5
32-Lachlan Pugh** (WP) 9 - ---- -
35-Boyd Fewson** (WP) 4 - ---- -
36-Sam Nikkula (WP) 1 - ---- -
38-Kylan Granland** (WP) 3 1 0.33 -
41-Sam Elvin (WP) 4 - ---- 2

Last edited:
In case anybody wanted to know what the WAFL metro zones look like

Funny how the Hillarys boat harbour and shopping precinct is a zonal border.

So when I was over in the west in Feb, I was staying in Subi's zone while visiting relos in West Perth's zone.

Ok we're all ready for the big colts game between Claremont and West Perth. Live comments are more than welcome. In fact, a necessity and I don't have to vote today. PMBangers is doing that I'm delighted to say.

So no dots and crosses next to player names from me for the first time this season.

Just refresh the page....close to 10 past or 15 past the hour. Put up with the three adverts and then hope for a clear stream.

Katauskas, Mellody, Cale and Kavanagh miss the final cut for the Monts while Davies, Pugh, Fewson and Elvin are out for WP.

2008 DOB Luca Boczar (WP) will be in guernsey 5 instead of 27.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really good 1st quarter. Close and some really good individual moments from certain players. Stream just acceptable.

WP 3-4
CL 3-1

Riddle is winning taps but at this stage it just doesn't appear as though he can go with Gerreyn around the ground

Half Time

Still a very good game. Plenty of effort and intensity. Tough to make out some of the players in the shadows on the outer though.

Quite a lot of lesser profile players stepping up much like a final.

I can see why PSA followers rate Jonah Klemke, the WP below ager.

WP 8-5
CL 5-1

3/4 time

Still an excellent hard fought game. In fairness, Claremont won't field a team this depleted again this year but it gives them some food for thought and perhaps Subiaco also.

Eli Alexander having a big game for WP. Lachlan Cattalini busting a gut for the Monts in the back-half. Not big names.

WP 10-9
CL 6-4

Really good game. Final score. I learned plenty. Two words

Sam Swadling

Gee whiz, this kid is up there with Fred Rodriguez and Cody Curtin.

WP 12-12
CL 8-7

Superquick...elusive, waltzes through traffic .....kicks both feet. You'll see what I mean mate.
Can see that being what we need next year after loading up this year as the better mids are a bit slower this year.

Edit: just saw his stats 20 & 3 is impressive. Also saw he was #26, he did catch my eye as I was flicking through

Remove this Banner Ad

State Focus WA 2024 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back