List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

The same things were said about Brander as he was shifted around into different positions trying to find somewhere that might justify his high draft pick. When we gave him away for nothing to GWS he managed just 5 games before being delisted. I see a strong parallel between Chesser and Brander. Both appear to have all the physical attributes to be good players, but not the hunger, desire or desperation. They are/ were both were good at at floating up and down the ground without really getting involved. If some other team thinks they can make something of them, then we should trade him. I've seen nothing to suggest he'll make it.
Except Chesser hasn't been 'shifted around', he's been dumped on a wing that nobody kicks to.

He's also not a winger to begin with.

The best thing about Chesser is that he has actually played consistently and has not been injured.
Thats a big positive for him.
He hasnt played particularly well, but i'm willing to give him another 20 or so games - albeit in his preferred position at WAFL level initially.

Thought he looked really good with ball in hand bouncing off the half back line. Was also disappointed that he got subbed instead of Ledwards who pretty much stamped his papers today, or Cripps who stunk it up from the start of the game.
On ya schoey!
Wafl is where he's at!! Earn ya spot
Poor against saints again
Trew showing something

Except Chesser hasn't been 'shifted around', he's been dumped on a wing that nobody kicks to.

He's also not a winger to begin with.
Go and get the footy instead of just running around like headless chook.
You're allowed to get in there!!!!
Schoey sees what I and others see

The best thing about Chesser is that he has actually played consistently and has not been injured.
He hasnt played particularly well, but i'm willing to give him another 20 or so games - albeit in his preferred position at WAFL level initially.
Avoids contact!!! He needs wafl games then admit we made a crap pick and trade him if there are any takers

Go and get the footy instead of just running around like headless chook.
You're allowed to get in there!!!!
Schoey sees what I and others see
Is he though?

3 years under Simmo playing the gimp wing role that's been there since Masten was on the list would be shit for anyone's development.

Brander was ruined the same way.

Chesser should be played as an inside mid in the WAFL and left there for a while to gain confidence, not left to get 7 disposals playing a redundant role.

The same things were said about Brander as he was shifted around into different positions trying to find somewhere that might justify his high draft pick. When we gave him away for nothing to GWS he managed just 5 games before being delisted. I see a strong parallel between Chesser and Brander. Both appear to have all the physical attributes to be good players, but not the hunger, desire or desperation. They are/ were both were good at at floating up and down the ground without really getting involved. If some other team thinks they can make something of them, then we should trade him. I've seen nothing to suggest he'll make it.
Totally agree no hunger to win his own ball.
He needs to involve himself

Is he though?

3 years under Simmo playing the gimp wing role that's been there since Masten was on the list would be shit for anyone's development.

Chesser should be played as an inside mid in the WAFL and left there for a while to gain confidence, not left to get 7 disposals playing a redundant role.
That's what I've been an advocate for. Wafl time to see if he has anything.
I agree with the brander comparison
Has attributes but no hunger

When our mids were injured he doesn't get a run in there says it all. No hunger or grunt
I don't think that's the problem, I think he's been pigeon-holed into playing a role that doesn't suit him.

You only have to look at Trew's previous AFL performances vs his last 2 games.

Not exactly world-beating but clearly better than the previous times he's been in the side, because he's playing the role he he actually was drafted for.

Chesser may indeed not be up to it, but at least don't die wondering by making him play a role he's not suited to and never played in juniors.

We have nothing to lose anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chess was a reach at his pick but hes still really young and missed so much footy. Give him more time. He's the least of the issues.

Wild that people saying the Eagles ruined Brander.

Did we ruin him so badly GWS couldn't save him?

No, he was a shit pick. Pure and simple. The club can be blamed for lots of things (such as drafting Brander in the first place) but we didn't turn a potential superstar into an irredeemable spud.
Five years of poor development isn’t going to suddenly be fixed in one season at a new club.

The point is moreso we draft certain players that don't fit the profile of what we require at the time in terms of list needs or we assume they are hidden gems due to various circumstances only then to proceed to **** up their development by not letting them develop in their natural position or not giving them enough opportunities in their natural position. That is piss poor player development.

I get the flexibility argument but not all players can play the black hole positions in our team (the OG HFF role and now the wing role).

Last edited:
His one WAFL game in the middle suggested that he has plenty to offer. I'm excited to see what he can do in there given a bit of continuity.

Then a big 2025 under a new coach beckons I reckon. Those saying he is a 'spud' really lack a bit of foresight and patience.

Is he though?

Brander wasn't ruined by anyone, infact he was gifted games, they tried to shoe horn him into the team just to give him games. His draft year was a disappointment, hence the reason his dropped down the order
Chesser is way past the stage of catching up from his injuries predraft and just hasn't taken his chances

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s a really good point. At least he doesn’t appear to be as permainjured as he seemed at first.

Brander wasn't ruined by anyone, infact he was gifted games, they tried to shoe horn him into the team just to give him games.

Literally the exact point I am making.

For one, WCE should never have drafted him to begin with, as we were desperate for midfielders at the time.

2, He was behind JK, JD and OA up forward, and behind Gov and TB down back.

Obviously drafting 2 talls early was idiotic to begin with(thank **** for Allen being good) however they should've just settled him at either FF or FB in the WAFL, instead o making him play the dead wing role.

At the very least, we could've salvaged something in a trade, instead of just being a completely burnt pick altogether.

His draft year was a disappointment, hence the reason his dropped down the order
Chesser is way past the stage of catching up from his injuries predraft and just hasn't taken his chances

Because again, he's been relegated to the dud wing role and not being played in his natural position. Just leave him in the WAFL to see out the season to develop his craft and if he's brought in due to strong form, play him in the same position.

Same thing with Culley on the weekend.

With only a few games left, isn't there a thing about young players needing to reach about 50 games to be seasoned and settled.
Chesser has played 31, Ginbey 35, Long 26, Maric 25, JWilliams 24, Hedwards 35, Hough 48, Petrol 85, Duggan 175, Witho 118, Cole 108, Jones 66, Rotham 71.
So the youth all need more games under their belts, while some of the seniors/backs have racked up plenty of games yet don't possess the required skills or nous for that level of experience? (Petrol, Jones, Rotham)(and arguably Cole, Duggan - both premiership players)

Literally the exact point I am making.

For one, WCE should never have drafted him to begin with, as we were desperate for midfielders at the time.

2, He was behind JK, JD and OA up forward, and behind Gov and TB down back.

Obviously drafting 2 talls early was idiotic to begin with(thank **** for Allen being good) however they should've just settled him at either FF or FB in the WAFL, instead o making him play the dead wing role.

At the very least, we could've salvaged something in a trade, instead of just being a completely burnt pick altogether.

Because again, he's been relegated to the dud wing role and not being played in his natural position. Just leave him in the WAFL to see out the season to develop his craft and if he's brought in due to strong form, play him in the same position.

Same thing with Culley on the weekend.
I agree with leaving him in the wafl. If he can consistently get his hands on the ball maybe he saves his career.
Otherwise he's on the way out

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So according to some he is too dumb to play a wing as he lacks positional awareness, but also he should go to half back as he could be the next Brad Sheppard?

People just don’t wanna give up on this. He isn’t very good, the ceiling is serviceable, not All Australian half back. Next step in his career really should be a tagger. It’s the only role I could see him doing at this point

He's got Duggan MkII written all over him. No doubt a great person but we are already just kind of hoping we get a serviceable b-c grader to show for the pick.

Hopefully a new coach and a new approach to his part in the machine will unlock something but I do fear that terminal vanilla-itis has taken hold of the lad.

The clock will start to tick louder through 2025.

Is he though?

The gimp wing is an excuse for Chesser not being able to get a kick. I sit on the wing at Optus and the ball goes up and down his wing all day and mostly Chess doesn't get near it. Doesn't know where to position himself to receive the ball, can't read the play when the opposition has the ball and ball watches a lot of the time when he is in it's vicinity.
I hope for the best for the young fella but I'm not expecting too much.

edit: Masten averaged 19.3 disposals a game in 2018 playing the so called gimp wing.

Last edited:
This kid was drafted with an injury history and very little exposed form. You can’t expect him to be thrown straight in the guts - most young players take years to build their tanks and prepare their body for the role.

I’d agree he’s best suited inside, but only now has he had a proper run without his body breaking down and some AFL experience to understand the pace of the level. Give him the rest of the year playing inside in the WAFL to find exposed form at his preferred position, and line him up for a spot inside next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back