List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

We have soooooo many massive issues. Chesser being slightly below expectations in a very poor side and without continuity is hardly high on the list. Just let him do his thing and work through being comfortable. I feel he would be much better in a side that is actually capable of sharing the ball and playing with some flow. We are so disjointed he doesnt get a chance to receive much of the ball.

I'd rather the club focus reviewing the performance of the raft of list cloggers and overpaid "stars" that we have, and also the staff who signed them and got us in this position.

We have soooooo many massive issues. Chesser being slightly below expectations in a very poor side and without continuity is hardly high on the list. Just let him do his thing and work through being comfortable. I feel he would be much better in a side that is actually capable of sharing the ball and playing with some flow. We are so disjointed he doesnt get a chance to receive much of the ball.

I'd rather the club focus reviewing the performance of the raft of list cloggers and overpaid "stars" that we have, and also the staff who signed them and got us in this position.
Not sure Chesser is "without continuity", he's played 17 out of a possible 18 games this year.

I think it’s probably a mix of “low IQ” and low confidence with him at the moment.

I was at the game on the weekend and in the two sequences where he streamed forward with bounces, there were players on further down the ground. Required a long kick to advantage but it felt like he saw it but didn’t want to pull the trigger, hence the sideways handball to players in worse positions.

Can this be developed or is it a you have it or you don’t type thing? I don’t know but hope it’s the former.

Wild that people saying the Eagles ruined Brander.

Did we ruin him so badly GWS couldn't save him?

No, he was a shit pick. Pure and simple. The club can be blamed for lots of things (such as drafting Brander in the first place) but we didn't turn a potential superstar into an irredeemable spud.
We didn't ruin him. He's like chesser, no ticker but an awesome athlete. There are many players like that

Chess was a reach at his pick but hes still really young and missed so much footy. Give him more time. He's the least of the issues.
He is holding a spot which someone else could have. He has done one good thing all year. Chase down soligo!!! He is worse to watch live. Backs away from contests when he should be first to the ball then chases to no avail!!
He can run.....

Official whipping boy status confirmed. Imagine getting this frothy about a young player when we have far too many spuds ahead of him getting games. Especially a young player consistently being played out of position.
He's been dishing up 5 possession games all year. He's clearly a spud. Given he was taken high, he will see out his contract. But if he was taken in the 30s or 40s, he'd be gone

Brander was our first pick in that draft. Oscar Allen was our second pick.
If we had picked Oscar with our first pick we could have got Tim Kelly with our
second pick and not have to do that trade with Geelong that cost us draft picks.
Brander was a spud, we should have sold him to Tony Galati from the Spud shed.

He's been dishing up 5 possession games all year. He's clearly a spud. Given he was taken high, he will see out his contract. But if he was taken in the 30s or 40s, he'd be gone
He's clearly being played out of position.

What should've happened is that he played WAFL in his actual position of onball/inside mid, instead of being played in a role he's clearly not cut out for.

I mean, Shuey even said before the Saints game that they see him as an inside mid themselves but they only gave him one CBD before subbing him off.

He was doing very well there last WAFL game he played, before having his nose smashed in, so hopefully he can get a decent run at that role and when they bring him back into the AFL side, they actually play him in that role.

The club has a terrible tendency to shoehorn players into roles they aren't suited for, just to give them exposure in the seniors.

At least they're finally giving Trew a crack at it.

Terrible development IMO.

We didn't ruin him. He's like chesser, no ticker but an awesome athlete. There are many players like that
Brander had a few games with GWS until they were belted. Their coach openly stated the didn't bring physical intensity and were weak in that gamer. Brander didn't play another game. Not just the eagles!!

Hopefully with a change of coach we no longer using the defensive wing position.

Correlation between Brander and Chesser is they have been playing that role, and low possession numbers result. Same with anyone else we've played there.

Not saying Chesser should end up on the wing long term, but that position hinders our ability to develop players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully with a change of coach we no longer using the defensive wing position.

Correlation between Brander and Chesser is they have been playing that role, and low possession numbers result. Same with anyone else we've played there.

Not saying Chesser should end up on the wing long term, but that position hinders our ability to develop players.

Would have thought it was perfect for Hunt. He can run all day and has good experience down back so can cover well when needed. He's also a pretty average ball user too.

Would have thought it was perfect for Hunt. He can run all day and has good experience down back so can cover well when needed. He's also a pretty average ball user too.
We've tried playing there and guess what? Low possessions and no impact on the game.

He's far better running off HB.

I’m not convinced by Chesser and not comparing the two but don’t forget how much Jetta - elite wingman/flanker at Sydney - struggled when he first came in to the side playing on the wing.

He struggled to get the footy and was ignored etc. Moved to the backline and profited.

There’s something about this goddamn wing role in the side

This kid was drafted with an injury history and very little exposed form. You can’t expect him to be thrown straight in the guts - most young players take years to build their tanks and prepare their body for the role.

I’d agree he’s best suited inside, but only now has he had a proper run without his body breaking down and some AFL experience to understand the pace of the level. Give him the rest of the year playing inside in the WAFL to find exposed form at his preferred position, and line him up for a spot inside next year.
I agree with the little exposed form. That's probably what got him drafted

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is holding a spot which someone else could have. He has done one good thing all year. Chase down soligo!!! He is worse to watch live. Backs away from contests when he should be first to the ball then chases to no avail!!
He can run.....
The backing away from contests is quite evident on TV.

What can you say? Dreadful pick, sack the recruiters. Oh, he resigned and went to another team.

I’m not convinced by Chesser and not comparing the two but don’t forget how much Jetta - elite wingman/flanker at Sydney - struggled when he first came in to the side playing on the wing.

He struggled to get the footy and was ignored etc. Moved to the backline and profited.

There’s something about this goddamn wing role in the side

Shows just how under rated Masten was playing that role

Shows just how under rated Masten was playing that role

Roughly 21 touches, 30% contested, 2.5 tackles, 1.5 clearances on average in 2018.

Masto had reasonable footy smarts and if we continue to roll out a game plan that has the defensive wing role it would be perfect for a veteran type player who can offer on field leadership, instruction and positioning, hold their structure and allow the more critical coal face minutes to go to the players of the future.

It wasn't a flashy role but Masto said he would prefer to do it than not be in the side. Chesser won't learn shit out there on the fat side. Closer to the footy he gets the better he looks I reckon.

I don't see why his detractors can't give Chesser the benefit of the doubt for now. Judge him after some extended on-ball exposure in the WAFL (which he made a very good start with IMO) and then see how the new coach uses him.

I don't see why his detractors can't give Chesser the benefit of the doubt for now. Judge him after some extended on-ball exposure in the WAFL (which he made a very good start with IMO) and then see how the new coach uses him.

The WAFL bye came at a horrible time for a few of our young guns. Chess, Reid, Baker, Dewar all looked good.

There’s not much evidence but I feel like if he does make it he’ll make it as that outside leaning inside mid a bit like a TK

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back