List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how other people agree with me now.
It's a forum. Opinions are allowed

Funny how you struggle with comprehension

Come back to this thread next week

Your contributions will be missed

Funny how other people agree with me now.
It's a forum. Opinions are allowed
Frustrated Larry Bird GIF by SB Nation

Sorry, but when a player's "big win" in his favour is his lack of injuries, that's pretty damning.

Not wrong, but with Chessers past injury history I'd rather he's at least on the park and playing consistently than sitting on the sidelines.

FWIW I think it was a dumb selection and a bust pick, but we've got him for another year regardless, so can't do much else besides cross the fingers and hope he does something :shrug:

I know people are ruing the fact we took Chesser over Johnson but he's been plodding it in the WAFL also.

Played only 3 more games than Chesser too, despite Chess missing 1 and a half seasons of footy after he was drafted.

At this stage, it's not like Chesser over Johnson is looking like the big miss plenty thought it would be.

I have no issues with anyone being a HBF or HFF, but they can't all be.

Ginbey, HJ, Burgeil, Baker, Chesser, Hall etc, somebody has got to make it as a mid eventually.

If we can cement in a winger or two from that lot as well as a final mid rotation that would be sweet but we can't rely on Yeo forever, nor Kelly as he ages.

Hopefully Hewitt can do it instantly while others grow into it over time. A lot of them are mids in their junior years so I am sure one of them will step up.

Chesser is a natural mid. More so than Ginbey.

Interesting comment that.

I don't see that at all, but I can see, with his limited skill set, that is what he needs to become, more specifically an inside mid.

IMO he has several weaknesses to his game that stop him from being a natural mid.

He gets caught ball watching and doesn't think he is way through situational football at all well.

He doesn't read the play well and therefore, he doesn't know where to position himself to best take advantage of the play as its in motion.

He certainly isn't an outside mid, or a balanced mid, as both these roles require the following thought processes and follow up actions.

If you are not a inside mid then you need to assess the situation and decide to do one of two things, when looking on at the contested situation:

• Block the opposition so that your team mate, who has the ball or is about to get the ball, has a better opportunity to gather the ball and or then dispose of it , alternatively you move quickly to provide the quick outlet option for your inside mid to link up with, therefore you are the second player exiting the contest or congestion, with ball in hand.

OR

• Sprint to the next position/area of play involvement, that is either sprint forward or wide to provide an offensive link up option, OR, move immediately into a defensive position to cut of a turnover and cut off any opposition players who are trying to form a counter offensive move.

If you cant process this information in real time in the heat of the moment and know instinctively what to do, then you will never make it as an outside mid or balanced mid.

From what I have seen of Chesser, it appears that he has little understanding of being able to process the information necessary to play an effective outside mid role, as he more often than not gets caught in no mans land around stoppages.

This is in part why, his game possession counts are low.

So to that extent his only chance of making it, as a midfield is for him to become a full inside mid with the specific instructions see ball - get ball.

He certainly has the physique and athletic traits to play that role , but you also need a hunger for the contest in order to pull that role off.

Failing that the only other role I see him being able to play is on a HBF, but he really needs to attack the ball much more steadfastly than he currently does.

So Shuey's comment that they see him as a mid make some sense in theory , providing they are able to get him , to see ball - get ball and become an inside mid.

I suspect that many are seeing him as a limited player who at best will be a HBF, therefore the angst and disappointment because, we used an early to mid first round pick ( pick 14 ) on a HBF, when these sort of players are generally plentiful in the late second and third rounds of the draft.

The Pie Man was sensational at drafting tall's at all points in the draft, credit where its due, however his *ing obsession with picking athletes over pure footballers, when looking at mids has hurt us, with the implication of poor midfield drafting being a significant contributing reason why we have fallen off the cliff so quickly and so spectacularly.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know people are ruing the fact we took Chesser over Johnson but he's been plodding it in the WAFL also.

Played only 3 more games than Chesser too, despite Chess missing 1 and a half seasons of footy after he was drafted.

At this stage, it's not like Chesser over Johnson is looking like the big miss plenty thought it would be.
You'd have to think tho that since they were both drafted the eagles would in theory be an easier team to break into?
Johnson has probably looked more comfortable at times than chesser too

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Needs to have a breakout year next season.
Needs to be given a role that doesn’t actively encourage not getting the ball.

Selection criteria for the new coach should include whether they will abolish the gimp wing role or not. If they want to keep it then they are immediately thrown out of MRP.

Swap Yeo and Chesser roles... Yeo on half back flank/pocket...and chesser as a inside defensive mid.

Yeo is a warrior... But can't keep up now... And Chesser at least has a tank and speed and can tackle..

Swap Yeo and Chesser roles... Yeo on half back flank/pocket...and chesser as a inside defensive mid.

Yeo is a warrior... But can't keep up now... And Chesser at least has a tank and speed and can tackle..
Yeo doesnt play a defensive mid, let him hunt the ball though would be good

Needs to be given a role that doesn’t actively encourage not getting the ball.

Selection criteria for the new coach should include whether they will abolish the gimp wing role or not. If they want to keep it then they are immediately thrown out of MRP.
Yeah because not wanting or getting the ball is a good thing. Wonder what position doesn't encourage wanting or winning the ball!!!???

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back