Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t see Dear not being the steal of the draft. He has something about him that just screams star potential. Absolute fairytale story when he makes it. He is going to make Dad proud which could also be what drives him.
100%
He does a lot of the good things you want to see from a big forward.

He can be our new Roughead imo.

100%
He does a lot of the good things you want to see from a big forward.

He can be our new Roughead imo.

It's probably sacrilegous to say it, he might even be better than the great Rough if he is able to gain a little more pace.

Seems to have unusually sure hands once he gets full extension in a marking contest. And he's bloody strong too.

That little patch in the game this week where he was thrown on ball in the last and came to life looked really promising. Kicked the fat side of the ball when he took a shot in the pocket, but should have been rewarded with a goal after a great mark.

Flew the flag against older players too after that slam tackle on Bennetts, which was another good sign.

It's probably sacrilegous to say it, he might even be better than the great Rough if he is able to gain a little more pace.

Seems to have unusually sure hands once he gets full extension in a marking contest. And he's bloody strong too.

That little patch in the game this week where he was thrown on ball in the last and came to life looked really promising. Kicked the fat side of the ball when he took a shot in the pocket, but should have been rewarded with a goal after a great mark.

Flew the flag against older players too after that slam tackle on Bennetts, which was another good sign.

Come on man. Why do people do this to kids. ‘Might be better than Roughead’. You’ve got to be freaking kidding me. A guy who barely got picked up in the draft and has played two games might be better that a multi premiership hero who had kicked 100s of goals and was picked at number 2.

And then everyone loses their shite even players don’t live up to standards.

Come on man. Why do people do this to kids. ‘Might be better than Roughead’. You’ve got to be freaking kidding me. A guy who barely got picked up in the draft and has played two games might be better that a multi premiership hero who had kicked 100s of goals and was picked at number 2.

To be fair, he may have just scraped onto a list for numerous reasons, but his early form at box hill sounds as good as anything we’ve had since buddy/roughead.

I am never going to lose my shite when a player doesn't live up to standards. Have literally never done it. I might get disappointed, but I won't piss and moan about it.

Maybe it's fairer to say he has attributes that early years Rough did not. Early years Rough also had attributes that Dear does not.

And how sure was this board during our all time great Rough's early years? In all honesty, it was embarrassing reading people's opinions at times.

Short of knowing Calsher's sprint times because he will need to improve his pace by the looks of things; at this stage the ceiling is the roof for him to quote great basketballer and average person (by all accounts) Michael Jordan.

Last edited:
Just let Calsher learn his craft at Box Hill.

Only 8 months ago he was playing VAFA third division u19s.

He has plenty of time to become the best player he can be.

Comparisons to former players are irrelevant and useless.

JComparisons to former players are irrelevant and useless.

Three games in he's as raw as any Hawks forward I've watched play VFL.

But he's still doing exceptional things now and then, and getting shots at goal. He's literally out pointing VFL key defenders who are grown men.

Why would anyone want him in right now? Hope is my guess. I've not been advocating it though.

But if you believe in hope, a powerful Hawthorn story, and recognize the promise of a young guy showing flashes of the exceptional, you have every right to say 'might be....' in whatever direction you bloody well want.

Or you're just being largely ignorant of what he's shown, three games in, after falling from the clouds.

Just let Calsher learn his craft at Box Hill.

Only 8 months ago he was playing VAFA third division u19s.

He has plenty of time to become the best player he can be.

Comparisons to former players are irrelevant and useless.
North would be a good game to bring him in for though, give him a taste then let him build upon it

Calsher is exciting, but he's a long way from playing.

He also won't solve our issues right now.

Leave him in the VFL, let him develop.

He doesn't need a taste of the AFL, he needs to get comfortable at VFL level, build up his body and he's a longer prospect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds an exciting prospect but need to temper expectations early on. It’s a big jump between VFL and AFL. Tyler Sellers at North a good example, was elevated to the 1s after some great performances at VFL. Had 1 touch for the game, an ineffective kick.

North would be a good game to bring him in for though, give him a taste then let him build upon it
He’s some way off. We don’t need to rush him in.

I echo the sentiments. He's only just started playing VFL and while he's acquitted himself well and shown promise, it's another big jump to play AFL.

In saying that I would love to see him debut in the Easter Monday clash next year, would be very fitting.

I echo the sentiments. He's only just started playing VFL and while he's acquitted himself well and shown promise, it's another big jump to play AFL.

In saying that I would love to see him debut in the Easter Monday clash next year, would be very fitting.

Only if his really ready as don’t want to destroy him like Melbourne did with Jack watts.

Yep agree. Needs to build his strength and a tank before you let him loose. Cant have his first game as a Sub so later in the year a chance.

Does this come in an English version? I'd like to read it to my kids.

There is something about this kid.
He has an incredible vertical leap, likes physical contact and follows up when the ball is on the ground.

He has a lot of AFL qualities.
Hate to compare but I absolutely loved watching his old man back in the day. Was very athletic and highly skilled. Seeing those traits already in a very raw Calsher

Remove this Banner Ad

Back