Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

He's still our most successful pick 6 so far (in terms of games played). If we delist him without another game played it will sit like this:

DGB: 28 games
Dowler: 16 games
Thorp: 2 games

Three 6's , number of the beast. No real surprise for the numerology nuts amongst us.

May I suggest next time we land pick 6 we consider some kind of pick split option :)

Love Wingard, and very much hope we see him on the park again, despite his latest injury setback, but he's spent a lot of time on the sidelines since coming to us. Worth pointing out, he was a pick 6 for Port too :)

He's still our most successful pick 6 so far (in terms of games played). If we delist him without another game played it will sit like this:

Three 6's , number of the beast. No real surprise for the numerology nuts amongst us.

May I suggest next time we land pick 6 we consider some kind of pick split option :)

Love Wingard, and very much hope we see him on the park again, despite his latest injury setback, but he's spent a lot of time on the sidelines since coming to us. Worth pointing out, he was a pick 6 for Port too :)
The devil doesn't like hawthorn :tearsofjoy: bit in this

Another brutal review from ZL (mind you, DGB was not on his lonesome when it came to brutal reviews):

“So Denver, like all our defenders, we just didn't get our job done. We were beaten by the Southport forwards, their work rate and their energy to provide options in offense and be dangerous, beat us, and that was the same with Denver's opponent. Denver's had the nine disposals at 56% we did swing him forward late in the game, he was able to hit the scoreboard and provide some good energy. But ideally, we would like not to have to do that and leave Denver to play his role there. But we thought Denver could kick as a goal and help us win the game, but unfortunately, didn't quite happen.”

Pick 6 is just cursed in general. It has almost an impossibly lower average game tally than the picks around it.

1721266259255.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tell you what I would be very interested to know the backstory behind Mitch Thorps time at the club.

I know he had his injuries but for the club to have delisted a top ten pick after just three years and a grand total of 2 games makes you think there was a fair bit happening behind the scenes 🤔

Pick 6 is just cursed in general. It has almost an impossibly lower average game tally than the picks around it.

View attachment 2051123
such an odd statistical outlier that with the amount of data we have you could almost say is significant. i wonder if there's legitimate rationale behind it or if it's pure chance. it must be pure chance...

I tell you what I would be very interested to know the backstory behind Mitch Thorps time at the club.

I know he had his injuries but for the club to have delisted a top ten pick after just three years and a grand total of 2 games makes you think there was a fair bit happening behind the scenes 🤔

From memory, he had a huge ego.
His first game against Richmond, he kicked 1 goal and strutted around like he'd won the Brownlow.

What happens to the number when you take out hawk pick 6s?
73 games. Still multiple full seasons of footy lower than the picks around it.

It's the only pick in the top 20 that has not produced a player that has played 250 games.

Another brutal review from ZL (mind you, DGB was not on his lonesome when it came to brutal reviews):

“So Denver, like all our defenders, we just didn't get our job done. We were beaten by the Southport forwards, their work rate and their energy to provide options in offense and be dangerous, beat us, and that was the same with Denver's opponent. Denver's had the nine disposals at 56% we did swing him forward late in the game, he was able to hit the scoreboard and provide some good energy. But ideally, we would like not to have to do that and leave Denver to play his role there. But we thought Denver could kick as a goal and help us win the game, but unfortunately, didn't quite happen.”
Love his honesty. Imagine he will have a fair input on which six to eight players will be delisting in two months.

No sugarcoating there. I saw the first half and that is pretty accurate, albeit others were just as poor. DGB is certainly doing nothing to suggest he's too good for VFL. In fact, he's struggling at that level.

I would be putting the blame squarely on the mids, they were pretty putrid and it cost the back line. That Box Hill midfield doesn’t like to do the hard stuff sometimes.

No sugarcoating there. I saw the first half and that is pretty accurate, albeit others were just as poor. DGB is certainly doing nothing to suggest he's too good for VFL. In fact, he's struggling at that level.
From what I saw he was poor in defense but the midfield was soundly beaten against a pretty quality VFL side away in Queensland where we are traditionally woeful. At least he went forward and hit the scoreboard- he’s had an injury interrupted season but looked like he was starting to show signs of what he can do late the week before…

Prepared to give him a mulligan on this one as it was a tough day - but he won’t get many more and time is running out this season for him to make an impression and make this season count for something…

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back