Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be pigeon-hole as a Wardy hater here, but sorry, saying he killed it or smashed it yesterday is a stretch.

My view would be, he played well without dominating. Stat's looked good yes, but I think Dear, Max Hall, C Brown stood out a lot more and their performance was much more impactful.

I'd like to see Ward turn in a couple of really dominant performances before going back to the seniors.
Yeah to some degree i agree with u he did some nice things and some very nice things including the steal and snap goal. However he wasnt dominant. The most important part of yesterday was him going hard at the contest and man. He will get better with more confidence. Its a great step in the right direction.

I'll be pigeon-hole as a Wardy hater here, but sorry, saying he killed it or smashed it yesterday is a stretch.

My view would be, he played well without dominating. Stat's looked good yes, but I think Dear, Max Hall, C Brown stood out a lot more and their performance was much more impactful.

I'd like to see Ward turn in a couple of really dominant performances before going back to the seniors.
You're not sorry, you s**t on Ward every chance you get. Including, it seems, when he plays well.

I agree. I don't think you've said anything wrong there at all. Statistically it looks like he had a nice game, but watching it, i wouldnt call it dominant at all.

Couple more weeks down there wont hurt him.

His last quarter was excellent. He was everywhere and playing the kind of midfield role I hope he plays in the seniors - pushing back, creating an option for the short pass and then hitting targets through the defensive grid, overlapping runs (not always rewarded) and quick hands out of the contest.

His last quarter was excellent. He was everywhere and playing the kind of midfield role I hope he plays in the seniors - pushing back, creating an option for the short pass and then hitting targets through the defensive grid, overlapping runs (not always rewarded) and quick hands out of the contest.
Yep, his last quarter was very strong.

Yeah to some degree i agree with u he did some nice things and some very nice things including the steal and snap goal. However he wasnt dominant. The most important part of yesterday was him going hard at the contest and man. He will get better with more confidence. Its a great step in the right direction.
Not to mention his exceptional delivery to Hall for our first goal at pace when streaming towards goal. Excellent peripheral vision to spot Hall to his right and changed direction of his kick at the last second. Wobbly kick but accurate.

This was followed soon after with another classy delivery to a player by Calsher Dear.

Two exceptional assists there by two exciting players.

Who makes way?
Honestly, don't care how good Nash played today, the reality is he isn't an A grade midfielder and never will be and realistically our midfield should look like the below in 3 years time when we are contending again. Day, newcombe, ward, mckenzie and worpel. Would love to add Harley reid to that mix aswell haha.

Honestly, don't care how good Nash played today, the reality is he isn't an A grade midfielder and never will be and realistically our midfield should look like the below in 3 years time when we are contending again. Day, newcombe, ward, mckenzie and worpel. Would love to add Harley reid to that mix aswell haha.
Nash was near the top of the stats table in almost every category. Had 10 clearances, 8 tackles, 8 score involvements to go along with his 32 possessions. That is absolutely elite. And it is not the first time he has pulled those sort of figures. So forgive me if I take no notice of what you have to say in the future.

Nash was near the top of the stats table in almost every category. Had 10 clearances, 8 tackles, 8 score involvements to go along with his 32 possessions. That is absolutely elite. And it is not the first time he has pulled those sort of figures. So forgive me if I take no notice of what you have to say in the future.

Needs to back it up next week. So much potential there - next step is consistency.

Same can be said for Ward. Let’s see him do it again next week.

Will Day comes back, that's another mid spot that Ward gets pushed down the pecking order. Perhaps Ward can become a small defender?

Sooner or later, Sydney starts knocking on Wards door with Mrbeast money and a inside mid spot. As we have seen before

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All mental with Wardy. He is probably the smartest bloke on the list. The Collingwood game last year shows he has the ability to go when it is his turn. Had a few moments he would like to forget. However, he was not alone in that category, hence the mouthguards at training.
Sat a few rows behind him at a live recording of the Rest is History podcast, probably the last place in the world you’d expect to see an AFL footballer.

I mean implying Nash is going to be an elite player for us in the future isn't a particularly compelling take either, it's a bit extreme. He had 2 games like this early last year, it's not exactly on track to be an every week performance in the future.

Not particularly positive or negative about either of them, just in very different stages of their careers.

I mean implying Nash is going to be an elite player for us in the future isn't a particularly compelling take either, it's a bit extreme. He had 2 games like this early last year, it's not exactly on track to be an every week performance in the future.

Not particularly positive or negative about either of them, just in very different stages of their careers.
His voting in the PCM last year indicates a decent level of consistency.

Getting back to Ward, I don't see any reason for concern. He is building nicely in his own quiet way.

Josh Ward (Two goals, 27 disposals, seven tackles, six clearances, five inside 50s, four marks)

“He was ultimately disappointed to be back playing at VFL level but as soon as he heard the news, he was really eager to make sure he put his best foot forward and prepare to play the best role he could. The side of the game that we wanted to see Wardy really work on was his inside game and his contested stuff. It was a really nice all-round performance from Wardy and great reward for him to bounce back from a disappointing performance last week up on the Gold Coast at AFL level. There are still some areas of growth for him and he’s the first to recognise that. His stoppage craft needs to continue to improve and he’s going to get great exposure while he’s at VFL level in that area.”

Josh Ward (Two goals, 27 disposals, seven tackles, six clearances, five inside 50s, four marks)

“He was ultimately disappointed to be back playing at VFL level but as soon as he heard the news, he was really eager to make sure he put his best foot forward and prepare to play the best role he could. The side of the game that we wanted to see Wardy really work on was his inside game and his contested stuff. It was a really nice all-round performance from Wardy and great reward for him to bounce back from a disappointing performance last week up on the Gold Coast at AFL level. There are still some areas of growth for him and he’s the first to recognise that. His stoppage craft needs to continue to improve and he’s going to get great exposure while he’s at VFL level in that area.”
Sounds like they're preparing him for a couple weeks at BHH to work on some things so that when he returns to the AFL he's coming in at full flight and with his tail up.
All for it!

I hope he spends a good 4-6 weeks at Boxhill to regain some confidence, he strikes me as someone who is highly critical of his performances. Kids are rushed into the seniors way to early , which can be a confidence killer for some . They go from dominating 18s footy and then go to barely getting a kick some weeks.

Sat a few rows behind him at a live recording of the Rest is History podcast, probably the last place in the world you’d expect to see an AFL footballer.
Isn't he studying philosophy?

Which episode?

Not that it has to be intellectual but it is great to hear about players interest, Jarman into cars, Amon into photography, Langford and Ward would get along for sure. Pity when media hacks who have only ever known football can't cope and make light of it in interviews.

I hope he spends a good 4-6 weeks at Boxhill to regain some confidence, he strikes me as someone who is highly critical of his performances. Kids are rushed into the seniors way to early , which can be a confidence killer for some . They go from dominating 18s footy and then go to barely getting a kick some weeks.
Its a fair point you raise.

Most NBA/NFL players are drafted after at least a couple years of college ball. Only the very best make the leap straight from High School to the pros (LeBron, Kobe, etc).

I still maintain we didn't do DGB any favours by rushing him into the seniors in his first year. His body (endurance and strength) wasn't even VFL standard and we were playing him as our KPD in the seniors on seasoned KPFs who had 15+ kgs on the kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back