Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

There are very few people who stand above 208cms tall. When they encounter each other it causes a unique bond to speak to someone at eye level for the first time in one's life.
Perhaps they were discussing ways of equalising eardrum pressure at altitude.

Thoughts on him staying back now? I think he showed why a marking beast can be so effective down there - we can build our backline around this kid.

He will avg 15 marks/8 intercepts/4 contested a game - he will just not get beaten one on one with his body strength & reach, so effective how he can throw out a hand and get in a spoil he had no right to get too.

Didn’t look too slow or too weak already - he held his own strength wise in any contests IMO - and this was game one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could see Freo were hesitating kicking near him and English already which shows he is effective already.

In contrast they went to Cordy and his opponent every time.
This. Sit him in the hotspot and they’ll always take the wide options - which in theory we should be well set up to defend, although in reality they’ll take uncontested marks 40 out on the boundary and slot them

You could see Freo were hesitating kicking near him and English already which shows he is effective already.

In contrast they went to Cordy and his opponent every time.

Yes and that’s what you would say is a game plan and everyone is on board.

Fremantle came prepared and had a plan

Impressive debut.

Pretty amazing to think he didn’t play any football for the first half of his season and only took 7 matches to crack the 1’s. Not very common for bigger players. Lacked a little composure early, but settled pretty well.

As well as he did down in defence, I think we can safely say he’ll be a genuine ruck/fwd half player moving forwards.

All his better moments were when he had no one to be accountable for. He’ll thrive around the ground as a ruckman. I couldn’t help but see Gawn and English in a lot of what he was doing.

The glaring issues in his game were his lack of pace and take off speed. Was getting torched badly on the lead by any of the Freo keys he was following. This will only get worse when he starts putting on size. Regardless of what your role is inside Def 50, that sort of lack of pace will get exposed pretty quickly. As it did yesterday.

The other one was his lack of strength. He was getting beaten far too easily in any 1v1 that I saw. Understandable for a kid his size. Will improve over time.

I’m happy for the backline experiment to continue for the next couple of games as it’ll give him some nice pressure free football to close out the season. But going in to next year, You’d hope they start setting him up for the ruck/fwd role he’s ideal for.
An English/Darcy ruck combo will a scary prospect in a couple of years. That coupled with Naughts and Marra as KPF’s, it’ll be a bloody hard fwd half/ruck group to play against. Get it up and running asap.

Impressive debut.

Pretty amazing to think he didn’t play any football for the first half of his season and only took 7 matches to crack the 1’s. Not very common for bigger players. Lacked a little composure early, but settled pretty well.

As well as he did down in defence, I think we can safely say he’ll be a genuine ruck/fwd half player moving forwards.

All his better moments were when he had no one to be accountable for. He’ll thrive around the ground as a ruckman. I couldn’t help but see Gawn and English in a lot of what he was doing.

The glaring issues in his game were his lack of pace and take off speed. Was getting torched badly on the lead by any of the Freo keys he was following. This will only get worse when he starts putting on size. Regardless of what your role is inside Def 50, that sort of lack of pace will get exposed pretty quickly. As it did yesterday.

The other one was his lack of strength. He was getting beaten far too easily in any 1v1 that I saw. Understandable for a kid his size. Will improve over time.

I’m happy for the backline experiment to continue for the next couple of games as it’ll give him some nice pressure free football to close out the season. But going in to next year, You’d hope they start setting him up for the ruck/fwd role he’s ideal for.
An English/Darcy ruck combo will a scary prospect in a couple of years. That coupled with Naughts and Marra as KPF’s, it’ll be a bloody hard fwd half/ruck group to play against. Get it up and running asap.

Very good debut and showed there is a lot to look forward to.
There were some instances of him trailing his opponent so I wonder about his pace but too small a sample size and only his first game so silly for me to condemn him now. A definite highlight on a poor night was Sam.
It did get me wondering about the need for Lobb though. I get that Bruce is getting older and you do need depth but how do we fit them all in up front. Maybe Sam learns his craft back for the first couple of years.

Ridiculous talent. Could be a lock to be dominant on the defensive end for a decade if that is how he is used. Quick enough, agile, strong overhead and a neat kick. His kick on the 45 into the corridor after a mark had me wishing he was on our team.

We were looking to avoid him and English after the first quarter. He should have a strong end to the season and after another preseason while still years off his physical peak he will still be very very good.

What a ridiculous spine you have building - JUH - AN - English - Darcy. Insane!

Ridiculous talent. Could be a lock to be dominant on the defensive end for a decade if that is how he is used. Quick enough, agile, strong overhead and a neat kick. His kick on the 45 into the corridor after a mark had me wishing he was on our team.

We were looking to avoid him and English after the first quarter. He should have a strong end to the season and after another preseason while still years off his physical peak he will still be very very good.

What a ridiculous spine you have building - JUH - AN - English - Darcy. Insane!
If we were to add Barass to that (rumours we are chasing, many on here sceptical it would eventuate) it would go from insane to unbelievable. Their peak as a group would still be 3-4 years off..

If we were to add Barass to that (rumours we are chasing, many on here sceptical it would eventuate) it would go from insane to unbelievable. Their peak as a group would still be 3-4 years off..

Yeah, even though you are my favourite Vic side I cant say I want that to coincide with our peak years. Very good player Barass. Why would he want to leave, WCE are very good at making sure key players are looked after during and after their playing days.

Yeah, even though you are my favourite Vic side I cant say I want that to coincide with our peak years. Very good player Barass. Why would he want to leave, WCE are very good at making sure key players are looked after during and after their playing days.
We know how to grease palms and seal deals over here too, mate. Exclusive use of a two bedroom weatherboard in Braybrook with a trampoline in the backyard should get this one over the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back