Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft from a PAFC perspective

2006 - one of our best
2007 - probably won to forget
2008 - again one of our best
2009 - too early to tell but definitely a couple of rough diamonds but definitely a few dogs

2010 - fingers crossed

Who would those be?

Who would those be?

I assumed he was including trade week, hence Nash who we delisted. He couldnt possibly be talking about Moore, Butcher, Pittard, Hitchcock or Bass.

Maybe JJ but at that pic it can hardly be considered a miss. Or perhaps he is talking about the elecation of Bullet Thompson.

Harding, Nash, Dawson, Cloke & Johns?

I thought most of those were trades or rookies, seems a tad harsh anaylsis and presumcious to me anyway.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104834/default.aspx

Five players tied for the fourth-best beep test result. They were Gold Coast recruit Joel Wilkinson, Oakleigh Chargers midfielder Andrew Gaff, North Ballarat key position player Tom McDonald, Port Adelaide Magpies defender Daniel Kulikowski and Hobart defender Larry Owen.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104834/default.aspx

Anyone know anything about this guy? Obviously has great endurancde which is going to be important with the new interchange rules.

p.s. nickname MUST be killer!

And that's what the recruiting people at the clubs would do - pore over hours and hours of recordings noting the good and the bad. But the nuffies like us can only go by what is out there.

Personally I would be all over Lycett like a cheap suit at pick 16. 202cm teenager, great talent, moves like a player 10cm shorter, local product, has already played SANFL league footy.

I suspect he has slipped down the pecking order after being highly rated not that long ago simply by being a victim of clubs looking for reasons not to draft rucks early.

I agree with you RE Lycett Ford. Just going on how RIT and others were talking about him earlier in the year, I suspect he would be an absolute steal at 16.

IIRC everyone had us at no chance to get him with pick 8 or so.

I'm not sure that we need 4 developing ruckmen in Lobbe, Redden, Bass and Lycett on our list for a one-pure-ruckman AFL style game - particularly when we have spent a first round pick on two of them - Lobbe and Lycett and the other two already showing some potential.

For Lycett to be of any value, it will take at least 3-4 years and if makes it, then that makes most of the others redundant.

We can always trade our extra ruckman out. We did pretty well out of the Brooks/French/Ackland trades from memory.

He also has two less testicles than Jay Schulz.:thumbsu:

I'd steer clear of Anthony.

its a harsh selection process that rules a candidate out because they can't produce future father/son picks :D

They also can't put other players off their game by claiming that they have slept with their WAG's !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, that kid looks good. Wouldn't be suprised if they used pick 16 if they are that keen on him. Looks to have a lot of the qualities that we see in Brodie Smith with a penetrating kick. Can't wait for the draft now.

Afl website says Geelong will probably use their first pick to get him though.

Of course Port have always loved a red herring at draft time. We talk to Smith and that puts pressure on Geelong for example to take him earlier, dislodging a preferred target.

And if it doesn't work (as it so famously did in 1998 when we got our man, Michael Stevens ;)) it still drops a quality player our way.

Granted Smith is 21, but the upside is that makes him a plug n play type, and with still plenty of development given he came from country footy to a VFL GF in one season (and only 3 league games in the minor round) and has a terrific athletic base.

It will be interesting to see who jumps first.

His speed is amazing.

And his age is nothing - look at Michael Barlow, almost seemed like the missing piece for Freo. If we draft younger, we have to spend more time developing them anyway. It would probably work out to be a year's difference max.

Next Thursday should be interesting.

Of course Port have always loved a red herring at draft time. We talk to Smith and that puts pressure on Geelong for example to take him earlier, dislodging a preferred target.

And if it doesn't work (as it so famously did in 1998 when we got our man, Michael Stevens ;)) it still drops a quality player our way.

Granted Smith is 21, but the upside is that makes him a plug n play type, and with still plenty of development given he came from country footy to a VFL GF in one season (and only 3 league games in the minor round) and has a terrific athletic base.

It will be interesting to see who jumps first.

He was given a lot of space for a GF - it made him look like having the attributes of a Lonie or Fiora about him. Tactical trade talk for mine.

Paul Daffey agin reiterates his stance that Port will pick up Lycett. I think that they think our Ruck situation is worst than it actually is. I am confident that one of Lobbe or Bass will come up and be servicable.

He is convinced that Geelong will take I. Smith and the Cows will go for Brodie Smith. I think this year predictions will be way off. Too many variables from what the Gold coast may do with one or two picks. Who knows, maybe Lycett will be gone. I like the look of the kid but I will just put my faith in the recruiters.

Paul Daffey agin reiterates his stance that Port will pick up Lycett. I think that they think our Ruck situation is worst than it actually is. I am confident that one of Lobbe or Bass will come up and be servicable.

He is convinced that Geelong will take I. Smith and the Cows will go for Brodie Smith. I think this year predictions will be way off. Too many variables from what the Gold coast may do with one or two picks. Who knows, maybe Lycett will be gone. I like the look of the kid but I will just put my faith in the recruiters.

It will be interesting to see how good he is draft day.

To be honest Burgatron has left some big shoes to phil when it comes to the phantom draft next week.

The article in the AFL website talked about how it is easier to judge a kids potential by what he is doing later rather than earlier. In I smith's case, form now is a better indication that a junior who tears it up at at that level and then struggles when he hits the big time.

If the clubs pick him early then they think he will be. He in 190 cm, quick and hits targets. That is good enough for me. Lonie, for example, was never touted as hard to tackle but this kid was doing tough stuff, hitting targets and breaking away from packs. That sounds like a ten year player. Furtermore, he is from the country and may suit the Adelaide life-style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back