Why do you hate Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

and all the players get media recognition and treated like superstars when they are just average players eg. Dale Thomas

Hang on, do you think the players go around asking for it? I very much doubt it. They might enjoy it, when they're on TFS for Before The Game/etc, but it's not like they would go running to these shows, or to the HS, or even Thomas to the chip company, screaming 'look at me'. Blame the media, not the players.

back when the comp was not a even playing field and you had the most money, thats a disgrace.

But can't you only do the best you can, in anything, under the circumstances in which you operate?

When you say the competition wasn't even - how so? This is not forgetting that Collingwood, itself, came from the slums, originally, and was by far and away the club which had the toughest conditions in terms of winning respect and being able to function as a 'business' (if you can call it that back in the 1890s!). The Club was the last formed of the original 12-VFL clubs, and its strength came from the supporters. From memory (reading Kill for Collingwood), the Club recorded startling attendances at Victoria Park from the outset, which continued to rise, and thus came money and, with money, more scope for success.

How is it a disgrace? Footscray was formed before Collingwood, but didn't join the original VFL in 1897. Isn't that worse? The Club obviously did the right thing, and won flags. If these were shared around at the time, rather than (more or less) dominated by one club, would they still be seen as 'disgraceful'? What do you think?

Yes, you've won 14 flags, congratulations.

13 of those came pre-1959, and one of those has come since then.

Now, let me tell you about Carlton:

16 flags, 7 since 1969, 3 of which have been against the Pies - to me the Pies rock!

Thanks for the Collingwood and Carlton history lesson, I didn't know those facts :thumbsu:

Not upset, just debunking myths and searching for further answers. :thumbsu:

The myth is that everyone hates Collingwood, this was true once upon a time and many older people/posters still do, but the majority of younger people/posters feel the same about Collingwood as they do the other clubs not their own, Collingwood simply haven't given the younger generation any reason to hate them more than the rest, some may even feel a bit of sympathy due to their lack of ultimate onfield success.
Once upon a time the main page of BF was littered with anti Collingwood threads, now it takes Collingwood posters to start threads to get noticed.

I think you know this and it burns a little, for so long it was "everyone hates us", now it's "meh", and that doesn't sit well.

Ah well, at least they have an original theme song instead of copying it from the Americans. I'm not sure "As the Saints come marching in" was particulary apt (as you say the cakewalk) when they were collecting spoon after spoon after spoon. There is some irony in that most clubs who have this theme song are abject failures in their relative competitions.

Um, you are aware that Collingwood's theme song is sung to the tune of "Goodbye, Dolly Gray", copied from the Americans?

I think you know this and it burns a little, for so long it was "everyone hates us", now it's "meh", and that doesn't sit well.
Unfortunately for your feigned indifference this very thread proves otherwise :cool:

Not to mention recent polls that have us as the most popular as well as most hated

Unfortunately for your feigned indifference this very thread proves otherwise :cool:

Not to mention recent polls that have us as the most popular as well as most hated

Does it? I see a lot of posts from a small number of posters that hate Collingwood, and I see many posters vindicating what I posted.

Does it? I see a lot of posts from a small number of posters that hate Collingwood, and I see many posters vindicating what I posted.
Yes it's been hysterical watching opposition supporters go to the trouble of coming into a why I hate Collingwood thread to tell us they don't hate us :p

The truth is that Collingwood headed the premiership table for 60 years, longer than the other 15 clubs all put together, this has led to generational hatred embedded in the psyche of the football following public being passed on down the line

Yes it's been hysterical watching opposition supporters go to the trouble of coming into a why I hate Collingwood thread to tell us they don't hate us :p

The truth is that Collingwood headed the premiership table for 60 years, longer than the other 15 clubs all put together, this has led to generational hatred embedded in the psyche of the football following public being passed on down the line

Lol, keep telling yourself that, truth is Collingwood are becoming more irrelevant as each unsuccessful year goes by, they're still hated, don't get me wrong, but it's waning and only a successful period will stop the slide.

Lol, keep telling yourself that, truth is Collingwood are becoming more irrelevant as each unsuccessful year goes by, they're still hated, don't get me wrong, but it's waning and only a successful period will stop the slide.
Really.. well you better let the public know because we keep smashing attendance records every year and while you are at it you better let the media know because they keep calling us the most famous football club in Australia :cool:

I think this thread gets to you because you suffer from little club syndrome ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really.. well you better let the public know because we keep smashing attendance records every year and while you are at it you better let the media know because they keep calling us the most famous football club in Australia :cool:

I think this thread gets to you because you suffer from little club syndrome ;)

No need to get all narky, I think you miss understood me, I didn't say anything about your popularity, that's not in question, and not what this thread is about.
Less relevant to opposition supporters is what I was talking about, Collingwood simply haven't given opposition supporters any more reason to hate them than any other team for some time now, where once upon a time they did. You still have your traditional hatred from your traditional rivals, but as the AFL has expanded this has been watered down.

No need to get all narky, I think you miss understood me, I didn't say anything about your popularity, that's not in question, and not what this thread is about.

Not narky at all, just an observation

And there is an intrinsic correlation between poularity and hatred of the biggest club in Australia that I think has escaped you

For me its got to be over inflated sense of achievement that a good number of their supporters possess. Although one of my best mates is a Collingwood supporter and thankfully he isn't one of them.

I couldn't care less about any result that happened before I was born. Geelong's won 7 flags, big deal, 2007 is the only one that means anything to me.
Over the course of my life time
(1987 onwards) supporting Geelong has been quite enjoyable depsite the GF losses.

In terms of win/loss, Geelong places #1 (58.7%) , Collingwood #9 (50%)
Finals appearances Geelong #2 (34), Collingwood #10 (22)

The only downside is its 1 flag a piece

Source: http://afl.allthestats.com/statistics/

For me its got to be over inflated sense of achievement that a good number of their supporters possess. Although one of my best mates is a Collingwood supporter and thankfully he isn't one of them.

I couldn't care less about any result that happened before I was born.

So your clubs history means nothing to you? Try and get a single Geelong player or official to agree with you :rolleyes:

History means nothing to those that have a crap one

i love to hate collingwood simply because of the rivalry between us. its abit like the old days in the wafl when East Fremantle played South Fremantle . If you supported one of them clubs you hated the other. Its great because it gets the fans passionate for the game.

Whilst I recognise the existence of some literate and intelligent Pies supporters who understand the game, (I can name 3 I've met off the top of my head), it is the vast majority who inspire my dislike.
The following are what particularly irritate me:

- The confusion of popularity with success or ability
- The arrogance or mob mentality that "we're bigger so we're better than you."
- The ignorance about opposition teams and players
- The chronic overrating of their own players
- The constant whingeing when they don't get their own way
- the refusal to understand that it is possible to be beaten by a better team rather than robbed by the umpiring.
- The inability to comprehend that the performance of a football team is in no way a reflection of any individual supporter's value or self worth.
- The poor personal hygiene and grooming
- Joffa and the lack of complete contempt and embarassment at any mention of same.
- Double standards and hypocrisy in terms of player behaviour depending upon the player's value to the team.
- Tony Shaw

So your clubs history means nothing to you? Try and get a single Geelong player or official to agree with you :rolleyes:

History means nothing to those that have a crap one

I can be proud of my team and its achievements but what happened decades ago means nothing in terms of my own personal enjoyment.

I'm proud that Geelong holds the winning streak record, but if/when a team wins 24 in a row it won't matter a great deal to me as I wasn't around when the record was first set.

I can be proud of my team and its achievements but what happened decades ago means nothing in terms of my own personal enjoyment.
Err.. you don't have any personal achievement.. that's kinda reserved for the players, coaches and officials :rolleyes:

This question is a little like when every slightly famous peron enters Australia they are asked the question " so how do you like Australia?" in a very insecure way hoping for their nod of approval. Who gives a stuff what some talentless overseas singer/actror/"celebrity" thinks of us.

This question is simply looking for confirmation that we are the most hated so we can wear it like a badge of honour. I don't care if you do, don't or why you hate Collingwood. You are all unimportant, faceless, useless, non-entities to me if you are not wearing the black & white.;)

Err.. you don't have any personal achievement.. that's kinda reserved for the players, coaches and officials :rolleyes:

OK then....either I could have worded that a bit differently or you somethings wrong on your end.

I'll explain then:

I can be proud of my team (Geelong Football Club) and its achievements (history) but what happened decades ago means nothing in terms of my own personal enjoyment (whether I'm :D or :().

Replace the bolded parts with whats in the brackets and that's what I was getting at, no mention of personal achievement.

This question is a little like when every slightly famous peron enters Australia they are asked the question " so how do you like Australia?" in a very insecure way hoping for their nod of approval. Who gives a stuff what some talentless overseas singer/actror/"celebrity" thinks of us.

This question is simply looking for confirmation that we are the most hated so we can wear it like a badge of honour. I don't care if you do, don't or why you hate Collingwood. You are all unimportant, faceless, useless, non-entities to me if you are not wearing the black & white.;)

I don't hate Collingwood, in fact I think they are cute.

Sure they can string a few wins on the board but come the buisness end of the season they are like sweet little puppies.

Plus I look at the roster at seasons start and hope like hell the Hawks get to play Collingwood twice.

That way I can chalk up two 10 goal Floggings.

Alas we only got to give them one 10 goal Flogging this year. (even though we struggled). damn you AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you hate Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back