You don't owe the Adelaide Football Club anything

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess we wouldn't be frustrated if we didn't care. Why would you walk away from something you care about? However sometimes it feels as though I'm watching just to have my anger and frustration as up to date as possible so that I can vent on point. The actual enjoyment finished a while ago.

Meh. I'll be back next year and probably be just as angry at us picking an ageing, s**t team week after week.

So much this. It's the fact that we care that makes seeing how we accept being mediocre hurt so much.

I stumbled across soccer (football) about 5 years ago late one night on Foxtel. Used to love playing it when I was younger but always though soccer was boring to watch and the first game I watched was 1-1 in the 80th minute and ended up 3-3 with the underdog home team scoring deep in stoppage time. I thought that was pretty exciting so watched a few games and ended up picking Liverpool as my team even thought they were trash at the time. Great fans, liked the story of how they formed (loosely similar to how the Crows were formed - out of a dispute) and have enjoyed the highs and lows ever since which ultimately lead to our first trophy this year. It's refreshing to watch a club have an absolute ruthlessness about how it goes about things and will drop anyone on a whim if you don't deserve your spot.

This year I found myself more interested in watching the ODI World Cup/Wimbledon compared to footy. I just have no interest in watching neutral games anymore and I'm not sure if that's just because I'm feeling disillusioned as a whole at AFL, if it's some of the new rules or (yes I know this is a cop out) the absolute embarrassing performances the umpires put in each week. How we don't have full time professionals doing this is still beyond me The excitement of walking into AO and seeing the ground is just gone. I don't feel like we'll win most of the time anymore and I miss the feeling of 2017 when it wasn't if we wom, it was by how much.

I'm sure these feelings will pass, but I was 9 when we won our first flag. I don't want to wait another 20 years to see my team win a flag.

Last edited:
Yep, a while ago. A bit different living in Victoria but there was a time I stopped because didn't have the funds. These days it would be no trouble but I haven't felt the need to become a member again. Poor value for Victorian members combined with zero success. And I nearly regretted not signing up in 2017.
Slightly OT but when I hear the value the Vic clubs get for their memberships I get rather annoyed.

If we have players who are mediocre or average with no decent upside, then we may as well replace them with younger talent, even if we have less short term output.

It's not healthy to have an older side, unless it is winning against most opposition & a premiership threat.

Having 8 x 28+ year olds when you are sitting in 8th position and not a genuine premiership contender shows a lack of dare (ultra conservative), a lack of vision and really poor selection policies. We should be blooding the kids now so they can learn from the likes of Betts, Tex, Talia. Not much point blooding them when their mentors will be Hartigan, Murphy and Jenkins.

At one point, I was like this. I firmly believe any flaw can be fixed. Still do. But there is nothing I can personally do to affect change, and the people in charge are too incompetent to get it right.

Over the last two years I've let go. I love giving everything a huge whack on here because it's fun. But the reality is I just watch the games with very little passion and laugh at the absolute ineptitude of our team, coaches and administration.

The games that get me excited these days are good contests between contenders with great skills. I used to get excited about every Crows game too. Not so much any more

And the 'not getting excited' situation is because of the way we are coached. It is boring and more importantly fragile.

I haven't had a membership for a few years now for reasons unrelated to footy but I wouldn't blame members for not wanting to pay for the "privilege" of watching our current "brand" of footy. We have a forward line that stinks and a midfield who make our forwards look even worse than they really are with their inept attempts to move the ball inside 50. The midfield group is so one-paced they're completely useless defensively. Our backline is also looking out of of form right now. Talia and Laird are both out of form. Hartigan & Kelly try hard but they're very limited footballers.

I mean outside of ROB, there is nothing to be positive about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having 8 x 28+ year olds when you are sitting in 8th position and not a genuine premiership contender shows a lack of dare (ultra conservative), a lack of vision and really poor selection policies. We should be blooding the kids now so they can learn from the likes of Betts, Tex, Talia. Not much point blooding them when their mentors will be Hartigan, Murphy and Jenkins.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Adelaide - Fielded the oldest team on the weekend with only 3 players who have played 50 or less games.
West Coast - Won the flag last year and currently sitting equal 2nd, played 9 players today with 50 games or less.

Let that sink in for a minute.

From the moment we brought in Steven Trigg the club developed a culture based around being obsessed with continually trying to maintain mediocrity. While West Coast have shown the blue print on how it's done, we're too busy patting ourselves on the back for finishing 8th every year to notice. The harsh truth is that we've become a home brand version of West Coast.

Since 2000
West Coast 4 Grand Finals, 2 Flags
Adelaide 1 Grand Finals, 0 Flags

Sadly the last two years have proved that the culture issues that Phil Walsh identified are still very much alive and well at West Lakes.

After the gutless performance in the GF and then following it up by being absolutely gutless last year by covering up the camp and not sacking Burton, I've actually lost interest. I mean I still go to the games, but actually sitting there cheering them on and having confidence in the club now feels like a completely futile exercise.

I'm just dead inside.

Last edited:
You have to ask yourself why you support the club in the first place. I was quite fine supporting Sturt in my early 20's before dickheads in suits decided to rip the guts out of SA Footy. Then I backed the Crows because it was an extension of the State of Origin "kick a Vic" ethos, except we got to have a crack at it every week.

But it's not like that anymore. That interstate rivalry is practically non existent these days, so we're just another team in a competition, and I find myself wondering if I would pick Adelaide if I was picking a team to support today. Honestly, I don't think I would.

But I do, for whatever reason, continue to support them. Its probably a nod to the echoes of the 90's. Someone in this thread mentioned "hope" and I think that's a key word. But i support them in the knowledge that we're basically a club without a football soul, and as such, there's never going to be the passion of a Richmond, or a Collingwood, or even a Sturt for that matter, from the people running the show. It's something I really miss and it's a shame, because that passion was there when we started. Old footy heads in charge, roaring crowds, hometown hero players.

It's not like that anymore. We're just a cog in the AFL wheel and it makes me sad. And detached, to a degree. My passion has dwindled as a result of the passion within the club dwindling.

Walsh ****ing knew what sort of club this was and he set about changing it. The only time I've really been passionate about this club since Blight. And we've pissed on his vision and "Adelaided" the interlopers and settled back into our comfortable "biggest ticket in town" chair. Even Roo. I can kind of forgive Fagan, he's a suit and not a footy head, and he's doing a good job for the most part. But Roo should be ashamed of himself. He brought Walsh to the club, sold the vision, and the poor bastard died and now what? Nothing. Nothing from our Director of Football. Nothing from the bloke who rode in with his chest puffed out. Nothing but piss and wind. Shameful.

And I'm supposed to buy into that? No thanks.

Last edited:
The thing that concerns me now is that I feel that the people who are running the club now (Roo, Chapman etc) are only in it for the money and prestige. They know we are abit of a basket case so they are wringing it dry for as much as they can before they sail off into the sunset. It feels like a company heading for bankruptcy and the Directors have no concern for the future so it's just rape and run and leave the long suffering supporter with a carcass of a club.

It's hard to fathom that the AFC of the 90's and the AFC of the last 20 years are the same club.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Adelaide - Fielded the oldest team on the weekend with only 3 players who have played 50 or less games.
West Coast - Won the flag last year and currently sitting 2nd, played 9 players today with 50 games or less.

Let that sink in for a minute.

From the moment we brought in Steven Trigg the club developed a culture based around being obsessed with continually trying to maintain mediocrity. While West Coast have shown the blue print on how it's done, we're too busy patting ourselves on the back for finishing 8th every year to notice. The harsh truth is that we've become a home brand version of West Coast.

Since 2000
West Coast 4 Grand Finals, 2 Flags
Adelaide 1 Grand Finals, 0 Flags

Sadly the last two years have proved that the culture issues that Phil Walsh identified are still very much alive and well at West Lakes.

After the gutless performance in the GF and then following it up by being absolutely gutless last year by covering up the camp and not sacking Burton, I've actually lost interest. I mean I still go to the games, but actually sitting there cheering them on and having confidence in the club now feels like a completely futile exercise.

I'm just dead inside.

I have seen first hand what only one poor performer can do to a businesses fortunes and culture. Imagine if you have a whole football dept of them. The AFL is a tough competition. You need everything to go right and a shitload of luck to be successful even if you have quality people running the club. When you have incompetent people like Burton/Roo/Chapman in control you have no chance in hell of being successful.

Last edited:
You have to ask yourself why you support the club in the first place. I was quite fine supporting Sturt in my early 20's before dickheads in suits decided to rip the guts out of SA Footy. Then I backed the Crows because it was an extension of the State of Origin "kick a Vic" ethos, except we got to have a crack at it every week.

But it's not like that anymore. That interstate rivalry is practically non existent these days, so we're just another team in a competition, and I find myself wondering if I would pick Adelaide if I was picking a team to support today. Honestly, I don't think I would.

But I do, for whatever reason, continue to support them. Its probably a nod to the echoes of the 90's. Someone in this thread mentioned "hope" and I think that's a key word. But i support them in the knowledge that we're basically a club without a football soul, and as such, there's never going to be the passion of a Richmond, or a Collingwood, or even a Sturt for that matter, from the people running the show. It's something I really miss and it's a shame, because that passion was there when we started. Old footy heads in charge, roaring crowds, hometown hero players.

It's not like that anymore. We're just a cog in the AFL wheel and it makes me sad. And detached, to a degree. My passion has dwindled as a result of the passion within the club dwindling.

Walsh ******* knew what sort of club this was and he set about changing it. The only time I've really been passionate about this club since Blight. And we've pi**ed on his vision and "Adelaided" the interlopers and settled back into our comfortable "biggest ticket in town" chair. Even Roo. I can kind of forgive Fagan, he's a suit and not a footy head, and he's doing a good job for the most part. But Roo should be ashamed of himself. He brought Walsh to the club, sold the vision, and the poor bastard died and now what? Nothing. Nothing from our Director of Football. Nothing from the bloke who rode in with his chest puffed out. Nothing but piss and wind. Shameful.

My son wants me to take him to a few Sydney games next year. Five years ago I would have said no chance in hell but after 20 year of heartache, frustration and anger with this club I find the prospect of potentially being an AFC supporter in name only quite reassuring. No more sleepless nights lying in bed over-analyzing the "what ifs".

The thing that concerns me now is that I feel that the people who are running the club now (Roo, Chapman etc) are only in it for the money and prestige. They know we are abit of a basket case so they are wringing it dry for as much as they can before they sail off into the sunset. It feels like a company heading for bankruptcy and the Directors have no concern for the future so it's just rape and run and leave the long suffering supporter with a carcass of a club.

It's hard to fathom that the AFC of the 90's and the AFC of the last 20 years are the same club.
Roo isn't, he genuinely believes what he's doing is in the best interests of the club. Same with Chappy, neither of them are in it for the cash though it can appear that way.

I would have absolutely no issue with Roo giving his mates a job...... If his mates were proven in the field they are employed in.

Roo isn't, he genuinely believes what he's doing is in the best interests of the club. Same with Chappy, neither of them are in it for the cash though it can appear that way.

I would have absolutely no issue with Roo giving his mates a job...... If his mates were proven in the field they are employed in.
What's more important to Roo - giving his mates a job or putting the best person in the job?

The fact he put an unqualified Burton in as Football Manager, then refused to remove him after last year's disaster means he either has very poor/clouded judgement or he gives jobs for the boys.

Either way it's a major problem for the club...

Yes the club is a corporate it has to be to survive and compete with your Collingwood west coast and Essendon

It isn't like playing footy for your local club like say PHOS where you wouldn't even consider writing crap like I'm throwing in the towel and not supporting them, when you actually play for a club you have such a bond it's ridiculous

It appears to me supporting Adelaide is like egg and bacon for a lot of people

And people are like the chicken

Not the pig who was fully committed and the chicken only half there

I suppose that's the difference for some others take that loyalty and wouldn't consider ever changing

SANFL club supporters seem to have that loyalty in buckets it may be the community feel that gives them that with Adelaide being from SA may give you the same feeling

To suggest you aren't going to support the club is quite unusual as a kid they change clubs but I have to say I only know one person to have switched from Adelaide to port because at the time port were going better than Adelaide and Elite Crow bags the F out if him

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Walsh ******* knew what sort of club this was and he set about changing it. The only time I've really been passionate about this club since Blight. And we've pi**ed on his vision and "Adelaided" the interlopers and settled back into our comfortable "biggest ticket in town" chair. Even Roo. I can kind of forgive Fagan, he's a suit and not a footy head, and he's doing a good job for the most part. But Roo should be ashamed of himself. He brought Walsh to the club, sold the vision, and the poor bastard died and now what? Nothing. Nothing from our Director of Football. Nothing from the bloke who rode in with his chest puffed out. Nothing but piss and wind. Shameful.

Feenix you are in a position with your line to Fagan and the club to share how you and the hard core supporters are feeling. Sure it might do you some damage about future access, but what’s the value of that access if all your going to get is muffins?

What's more important to Roo - giving his mates a job or putting the best person in the job?

The fact he put an unqualified Burton in as Football Manager, then refused to remove him after last year's disaster means he either has very poor/clouded judgement or he gives jobs for the boys.

Either way it's a major problem for the club...
You go with what you know

He's exhausted the people he crossed paths with throughout his career.

It's why we need someone at the club who has long term and wide-ranging experience in the industry.

Yes the club is a corporate it has to be to survive and compete with your Collingwood west coast and Essendon

It isn't like playing footy for your local club like say PHOS where you wouldn't even consider writing crap like I'm throwing in the towel and not supporting them, when you actually play for a club you have such a bond it's ridiculous

It appears to me supporting Adelaide is like egg and bacon for a lot of people

And people are like the chicken

Not the pig who was fully committed and the chicken only half there

I suppose that's the difference for some others take that loyalty and wouldn't consider ever changing

SANFL club supporters seem to have that loyalty in buckets it may be the community feel that gives them that with Adelaide being from SA may give you the same feeling

To suggest you aren't going to support the club is quite unusual as a kid they change clubs but I have to say I only know one person to have switched from Adelaide to port because at the time port were going better than Adelaide and Elite Crow bags the F out if him

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Has anyone spoken about changing clubs? We are talking about renewing memberships.

Do you have a membership?

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't owe the Adelaide Football Club anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back