You don't owe the Adelaide Football Club anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Bet you could though: you seem to crave attention. It's why you re-entered the thread trying to pick this dumb argument, despite having seen the thread multiple times before.

Your first attempt at getting attention failed, so you escalated the stupid.

I reckon the worst punishment for you is to deprive you of the attention you seek. You're the child that headbutts the wall when Daddy is too busy to watch him do cartwheels.

Fish rots from the head.

Unfortunately for us the Crows board have made sure they're untouchable and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it.
Agree.

We don't expect the club to get every decision right...but when you have certain staff who have major stuff ups & clearly can't perform their role properly... & management/board do nothing to rectify the situation, they are not looking after the best interests of members & we will never have beat practice.

I was excited when Fagan said he wanted the best football department... but the reality is starting from the top, we are nowhere near it after many years as CEO & he was just giving us lip service rather than reality.

Actions speak louder than words when it comes to performance. Good performance needs no explanation.

I'm not quitting on my club, but I'm mightily disappointed we have wasted yet another year. No collective minds nor major injury problems this year... just poor perfomance with mostly a lack of accountability by most.

We should get a credit back on our membership for having to sit through half our home games this year where we have given up half time leads & given buggar all in the 2nd half. There is a clear pattern yet the coaches don't acknowledge the problem... but we played a good 1st half. Do they want us all to leave at half time then & give me a half a credit back for the 2nd half.

Time for everyone to acknowledge the status quo isn't working & changes must be made... or as members we will continue to be frustrated.

End of rant...

We should get a credit back on our membership for having to sit through half our home games this year where we have given up half time leads & given buggar all in the 2nd half. There is a clear pattern yet the coaches don't acknowledge the problem... but we played a good 1st half. Do they want us all to leave at half time then & give me a half a credit back for the 2nd half.

But this is the thing isnt it. I'm paying close to a G a year for two gold memberships. Whilst they can bank on that unconditionally, there's no reason why the club has to fix any difficulties, is there?

I'm part of the reason there's no incentive.

But this is the thing isnt it. I'm paying close to a G a year for two gold memberships. Whilst they can bank on that unconditionally, there's no reason why the club has to fix any difficulties, is there?

I'm part of the reason there's no incentive.

Incentives, apart from the obvious, meaning less new supporters in the future...think a little kid wants to grow up supporting a boring team who perpetually loses, or a winning team with exciting players and personalities.

Less supporters = less sale of merchandise and eventually as they grow older, less memberships.

Looking at it from a completely financial perspective..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Incentives, apart from the obvious, meaning less new supporters in the future...think a little kid wants to grow up supporting a boring team who perpetually loses, or a winning team with exciting players and personalities.

Less supporters = less sale of merchandise and eventually as they grow older, less memberships.

Looking at it from a completely financial perspective..

I agree, but often people don't think long term.

It’s not the ‘read’ that I’m objecting to. It’s the tantrums and there are plenty on here. If people don’t want to support the club then they should p@ss off

And how is reducing the club's supporter base you supporting the club? It's plainly bad for the club, and not with its best interest in heart.

You don't have moral superiority.

I know it’s not particularly new or revolutionary, but someone who is a foundation member should write an open letter outlining these common-held grievances, ask others for signatures, and pass it on to the members’ board representative to table at the next meeting. It is the only form of communication that could potentially have impact at a board level. Be interesting to see how many signatures it would get!

And how is reducing the club's supporter base you supporting the club? It's plainly bad for the club, and not with its best interest in heart.

You don't have moral superiority.
I’m not suggesting that . I’m annoyed by dummy spitting posters that say ‘ that’s it I’m done with this club’ only to post 5 minutes later. By people saying that the club owes them nothing and that they won’t renew memberships etc... is a tantrum and shows that they are not true supporters .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not suggesting that . I’m annoyed by dummy spitting posters that say ‘ that’s it I’m done with this club’ only to post 5 minutes later. By people saying that the club owes them nothing and that they won’t renew memberships etc... is a tantrum and shows that they are not true supporters .

That makes no sense.

We do not owe the club anything- they don't allow us participation in the club, and they don't turn out anything that we want in terms of approach or result. Mount an argument that I should continue to spend significant sums money without using the phrase 'not true supporters'.

I want my club to succeed. I think the only way that we'll get the change necessary is to create a circumstance by which change is incentivised.

What's your approach? Keep throwing good money after bad, support bad practice, and hope safe in the knowledge that you're the best supporter of a bad club?

I think it’s already been happening. Pretty sure AO and some Crows membership aren’t fully subscribed.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to understand why people think it wouldnt happen.

For two years now we've sold memberships on the basis that we were contending, only to serve up awful teams and whilst getting progressively worse.

Of course people will see the writing on the wall.

Of course not. :mad:
If you want to disagree and discuss, fine/welcome, but please don't ask me silly rhetorical questions.

Please also keep in mind that after they "put in" and got to a five-goal lead or so, they got done in massive turnarounds by WCE, Geelong, PA and Essendon. That's four times, 3 out of the last 4 games, not an isolated one-off. It's a trend, for which the players are responsible (the Coaches don't tell them to back off after getting ahead) but have not been held accountable.
I think the underperforming senior players who are retained, or re-selected, think along the lines of:
"Whew! Got another game. That was close. I better put in this week", and do so ...
... for a half of football. You want explanations? Explain that. Please.

Speaking of accountability, the people responsible for the Collective Mindlessness debacle (Admin/coaches), the hamstring injuries that crippled our 2018 Season (Burton/Hass), the lack of two-way running and random delivery by our Mids (Campo) and our disastrous forward structure (Hart) were all re-employed by the Club after they stuffed up convincingly last year.
Think on this, because this is just one example of the Club's incompetence --- Ben Hart, whom we sacked, whom Collingwood sacked, was re-employed by the jobs-for-the-boys system in an area NOT of his speciality (defence), as the Crows' FORWARD COACH. There is no rational Universe in which that makes any sense. It cannot have a positive outcome.
The message to those people, the players, and to us is that mistakes/poor decisions/underperformance will be tolerated --- and as a result we get more of the same, week after week.
You stated that they don't care, so my argument was then why bother to even play for a half of good football then.

I'll never stop supporting the club. To throw in the towel in the bad (or soon to be bad) times to me is just fair-weather floggery. If I'm not happy I know where the door is, and I know that there are 100s of people happy to take my place

I'll never stop supporting the club. To throw in the towel in the bad (or soon to be bad) times to me is just fair-weather floggery. If I'm not happy I know where the door is, and I know that there are 100s of people happy to take my place

Why though?

What obliges you to support the club? Is there nothing that they can do to change that?

How about a hypothetical: what if the club came outright and said: 'we don't care about you, we're not going to try to get better, we're not interested in winning a premiership'. Are you obliged to still hand them money?

Why though?

What obliges you to support the club? Is there nothing that they can do to change that?

How about a hypothetical: what if the club came outright and said: 'we don't care about you, we're not going to try to get better, we're not interested in winning a premiership'. Are you obliged to still hand them money?

Oh I didn't mean that people shouldn't vehemently criticise those in the club for perceived incompetence or whatever - I just feel that threatening to tear up memberships or not renew them is akin to throwing the toys out of the cot. No one should feel obliged to be a member or supporter but are they really fair dinkum about supporting or loving the club if they are wiling to stop doing it so easily? Your hypothetical raises a good point - I don't know what I would do in that scenario to be honest. As much as I love the club I still view going to the games as good entertainment so even if the club was in a state of disrepair to that extent, I would still miss going to the games

To me its like supporting one of your favourite bands - I went to see Sabbath both times when they played the Ent Centre in the past few years and it didn't quite feel the same without Bill Ward in the band and with Ozzy looking like a crypt keeper but I felt I would be derelict in my duty as a Black Sabbath fanatic if I didn't go to both shows

If that was true all membership categories would be sold out.

Oh I didn't mean that people shouldn't vehemently criticise those in the club for perceived incompetence or whatever - I just feel that threatening to tear up memberships or not renew them is akin to throwing the toys out of the cot. No one should feel obliged to be a member or supporter but are they really fair dinkum about supporting or loving the club if they are wiling to stop doing it so easily? Your hypothetical raises a good point - I don't know what I would do in that scenario to be honest. As much as I love the club I still view going to the games as good entertainment so even if the club was in a state of disrepair to that extent, I would still miss going to the games

To me its like supporting one of your favourite bands - I went to see Sabbath both times when they played the Ent Centre in the past few years and it didn't quite feel the same without Bill Ward in the band and with Ozzy looking like a crypt keeper but I felt I would be derelict in my duty as a Black Sabbath fanatic if I didn't go to both shows

No, I don't think you have the right to tell me that i'm throwing toys out of the cot, or that this is something done lightly. I've been as rusted on as rusted ons can be. I've supported the club my whole life, I've paid into money, I've been there in the bad years.

I've stayed with them through the finals chokes.
I've stayed with them through the Modra trade.
I've stayed with them through the CEO falling fans 'pathetic' for seeing the writing on the wall with Neil Craig (which the club had to admit less than a year later).
I've stayed with them through the Tippett saga, when no one was accountable and we lost two first round draft picks.
I've stayed with them through their having the gall to promote 'Trigg returns'.
I've stayed with them through our failure to retain our best talents.
I've stayed with them through the 2016 / 2017 late year roll overs.
I've stayed with them through bad hirings and self promotions which don't pass the smell test.
I've stayed with them through their incompetence ruining our 2018 bid (in a premiership window).

But after all of that, to watch the club refuse to admit the most obvious of things: that the window is closed and that we need to turn the team over and instead sell out for an eighth placed finish and fail at that is just too much for me. Enough's enough. At a certain point you need to recognise when a relationship is abusive, and end it. They will never change. They will never be what I've wanted them to be. Because as long as I stay, they have no reason to improve.

I do think that the question that I asked you is the pertinent one though: if your view is that would make you walk away then your point isnt a moral one- it's just one of the proof that you need before you're convinced.

As far as enjoying games goes- if you've enjoyed the past two home games I don't really know what to say to you.

Being a member of a club isn’t a cheap exercise. Lots of supporters of the club aren’t members, does that mean they aren’t supporters?

I’d like to know those criticising on here are they members and how long have they been?

And for those considering not wanting to be members that’s their right. This isn’t just about losing and going through a bad patch, this is about the management of this club treating this club like their old scholars club. This has always been a boys club but the unjustified and unwarranted appointment of Burton which derailed 2018 was the last straw. Look at Brisbane’s injury list since he left.

Why should you keep rewarding this group with your cash?

Being a member of a club isn’t a cheap exercise. Lots of supporters of the club aren’t members, does that mean they aren’t supporters?

I’d like to know those criticising on here are they members and how long have they been?

And for those considering not wanting to be members that’s their right. This isn’t just about losing and going through a bad patch, this is about the management of this club treating this club like their old scholars club. This has always been a boys club but the unjustified and unwarranted appointment of Burton which derailed 2018 was the last straw. Look at Brisbane’s injury list since he left.

Why should you keep rewarding this group with your cash?

The combined cost of my membership and attendance at games- drinks factored in- probably ranges somewhere from $50,000 - $100,000 during the course of my being a member.

The combined cost of my membership and attendance at games- drinks factored in- probably ranges somewhere from $50,000 - $100,000 during the course of my being a member.
I’ve been a foundation member, I held onto memberships when my kids were young in the hope they would want to go, Marty even bought one one year. Back then there was no Ogilvie so there was no issue.

I’ve been to all Grand Finals, I go interstate at least once a year. I couldn’t guess how much I’ve spent on them.

I am seriously not considering renewing next year, the only thing holding me back is losing my seats for good. Even if it’s a year off I’d like to see what being a TV supporter was like.

We are in the 8 so one can’t say it’s losing which will turn me off. Hell if we played the kids and we lost that wouldn’t bother me, I’d see that as the club finally waking up to themselves and looking beyond the next week, doing what it takes to win a flag after 20 years.

But I know that won’t be the attitude and it’s the reason I’d be giving up my membership, because they are more interested in being competitive to take the pressure off themselves so they can keep their boys club going. Why do they deserve my money?

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't owe the Adelaide Football Club anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back